Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a concert tom kit sound please - VST or Vex.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a concert tom kit sound please - VST or Vex.

Hi All,

I've just come back to vdrums after a 5 year break and bought a used TD30 (I've previously owned a TD6 and TD9 years ago) but have never used a VST app or and Vex kit before. I also have access to a Macbook with Garageband only.

I'm looking for a great concert tom kit sound (yep, a Phil Collins fan...) - the kit really needs to have that distinctive barking concert tom sound as opposed to just the big 'In The Air' sound.

I've found these packages in a thread elsewhere on the web:The Gorilla set sounds good from online samples but it only offers 4 concert toms (in weird sizes - 8,10, 13, 14) and a double headed 18" floor tom. I'd like 6 concert toms to match Phil's regular kit from the late 70's onwards. The Hugh Padgam pack has all 6 concert toms, however the samples sounded muffled - perhaps more to do with the video advert than the actual samples though.
    At the moment the Drum Masters 2 packs seems the obvious choice as it sounds great and has all of the right sizes - unfortunately their website states: *You MUST own Infinite Player in order to use this library. Infinite Player is not available for purchase at this time.

Has anyone used any of the above or able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by sensei_russ; 01-15-17, 03:35 PM.

Update:

I've since managed to get some of the VST packs working...
    However it's a bit of a kerfuffle using Kontakt or Logic Pro in addition to the VST software. A Vex kit would be so much simpler!

Are there any Vex packs that have an actual concert tom sound? (However not just a regular big gated 'In The Air Sound').

Thanks!

Comment

No, we haven't targeted concert toms.
      Alan

Comment

Thanks for the info Alan. Any chance of one happening? Fingers crossed...

Comment

I've still got some room on ER2. I'll see if I can come up with something on it. It'll probably be very Genesis-like... just the normal kit sound.
          Alan

Comment

That would be fantastic! Cheers Alan

Comment

I built your kit today. Kind of modernized an Abacab kit to fit more with today's production mixes. Turned out pretty cool, I think. Not sure about the tom range though. Wanted the highs and lows. Makes that range fall REALLY FAST. lol I think you'll like it though; but it is definitely a special niche kit. This one will definitely be a one-off.

Everything else I've been creating is designed to work across multiple music genres and numerous band/music styles.
              Alan

Comment

Fantastic - can't wait to hear it Alan! When will it be available to buy?

Comment

As I reply, at 7am, I sit in the Mayo cafeteria following another lab. This Mayo is almost an hour from home. As long as these appointments keep popping up, I run further behind on my goal. It's becoming frustrating. That said, I was aiming for this Friday, but I am far from it. I'll be lucky to hit the 1st now. Moving these goals is really disappointing me.
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X