Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-50 and VEX

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TD-50 and VEX

    I wanted to post this topic because we are obviously getting slammed with questions regarding the TD-50 and VEX. I will be posting this info to our site soon, but figured most people come from the forums. I'm beginning to work on site updates as I type.

    Yes, we will be supporting the TD-50. We are aiming to release our first expansion(s) in late March or April. As you may know, I am recovering from a kidney transplant. Due to some complications, I'm getting off to a slower start for 2017 than I had expected. Chris will also be creating an expansion with me, and is shooting for approximately the same time frame. Additional releases will be based on the success of initial releases. This module seems to be a love-hate module among buyers so far. We're sure it's going to sell just fine, but we're not convinced just yet that it will sell the numbers seen by the previous flagships.

    No, our previous expansions will not work with the new TD-50. This is due to the completely different engines and sound banks. Since I've been asked; yes, theoretically, you could sample your older module with our previous expansions. However, you should not expect successful results as you would need to sample the dry sounds, and re-edit on the new module. It's a completely ridiculous idea; but as I stated, I've actually been asked this... more than once.

    As for actual samples, we have discussed, and will be attempting to do our own samples later this year, with a potential first release in Q4, probably for Black Friday or Christmas. As some of you may know, Chris does have his own professional studio. So, it seems to make sense for us to give it a shot. This plan is not 100%, but we will be attempting. Obviously, both regular and sample-induced expansions will run a little higher than our previous pricing due mainly to the expanded editing available and sample inclusion. (keep in mind we've never raised our pricing structure since 1999) More on the sample thing later in the year.

    TD-30: We will be adding additional TD-30 expansions in Q2 2017. I've had ER2 on the module and in the works for almost three years now. I apologize, but dialysis sucks the life and energy out of a person. As mentioned in another topic, I am going to attempt to release an updated Top 100 Drummers for the 30 later this year. Chris will also be adding 1-2 more expansions for the 30 later this year as well.

    I think that should cover it for now. Those are the main questions I have been getting constantly.
    Alan
    _________________________________________
    visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

  • #2
    Good info for TD50 owners now and future.

    2017 will be a year of comebacks, I can feel it, so I expect you to recover and be healthy again.

    Take care.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

    My new venture: voglosounds.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the update Alan, wishing you good health and a full recovery.

      Comment


      • #4
        Alan, I will donate some drums to sample if you want them plus I have some vintage stuff and access to others. We can talk offline about it if your interested. TK
        www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Allan you should write about sound copyright, same that 2box are facing, no sharing files is allowed that came from others sound library and any sound outside own recorded can't be shared as a kits or sell, this could save some issue down the road.
          Last edited by Chris K; 01-12-17, 04:48 PM.
          Regards
          Chris K

          DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KnipeDrums View Post
            Alan, I will donate some drums to sample if you want them plus I have some vintage stuff and access to others. We can talk offline about it if your interested. TK
            We'll talk as we approach the fall. Thanks for letting me know. Chris has a lot to get started, but we're always open to customers helping.
            Alan
            _________________________________________
            visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chris K View Post
              I think Allan you should write about sound copyright, same that 2box are facing, no sharing files is allowed that came from others sound library and any sound outside own recorded can't be shared as a kits or sell, this could save some issue down the road.
              If we do samples, we won't release until we have copyrights in place. All our current stuff is copyrighted as well. It's come in handy more than a few times.
              Alan
              _________________________________________
              visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                How big is Chris's room as far as room sounds? I have been doing timbale and octoban samples at my place and it is fairly easy since it can only handle 2 velocities[although it is a lot more time consuming than people would think.] I may rent a larger,better sounding room to do some more. If Chris has a good size room you could do some amazing samples!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                  How big is Chris's room as far as room sounds? I have been doing timbale and octoban samples at my place and it is fairly easy since it can only handle 2 velocities[although it is a lot more time consuming than people would think.] I may rent a larger,better sounding room to do some more. If Chris has a good size room you could do some amazing samples!
                  I think it'll do just fine.

                  More: http://www.facebook.com/trilogyrecordingstudios/photos/
                  Alan
                  _________________________________________
                  visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                    WOW!! Any chance you want to do some tight LP timbales and octobans? I have discovered the best head for octobans is a reverse dot coated. It gives you the low end from the dot and cuts the ring. You can tune them tight without them sounding thin.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

                      WOW!! Any chance you want to do some tight LP timbales and octobans? I have discovered the best head for octobans is a reverse dot coated. It gives you the low end from the dot and cuts the ring. You can tune them tight without them sounding thin.
                      We've actually been asked many times over the years about common percussion instruments. So, I've been thinking about doing a pack with heavy Latin and Brazilian percussion samples. That would be in 2018, though. Maybe we'll consider just a sample product alone. I would think there is plenty of that out there though.
                      Alan
                      _________________________________________
                      visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

                        We've actually been asked many times over the years about common percussion instruments. So, I've been thinking about doing a pack with heavy Latin and Brazilian percussion samples. That would be in 2018, though. Maybe we'll consider just a sample product alone. I would think there is plenty of that out there though.
                        The interesting thing is that every VST percussion expansion is recorded in a cheap room and many are tuned badly. There is no library with a set of timbales that sound as good as the videos on the LP website that were probably done with a camera mic. There is definitely a space for a percussion expansion that is recorded in a good room with people that know how to play and tune the drums.
                        Check out Toontrack's EZX Percussion[OK but not great] and even worse Fxpansion [bizarre: saw blades in someone's basement?].
                        Native Instruments did timbales and octobans in the Abbey Road 80's expansion and forgot to even list it on the product page! The room sound and gear is spectacular although the high timbale was tuned very low compared to what I have heard real timbable players use.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

                          We've actually been asked many times over the years about common percussion instruments. So, I've been thinking about doing a pack with heavy Latin and Brazilian percussion samples. That would be in 2018, though. Maybe we'll consider just a sample product alone. I would think there is plenty of that out there though.
                          While doing these, please done these with many velocity range with round robin ready for MIMIC PRO later, since there is no real limitation with MIMIC and fully professional sounding with endless layers.
                          Last edited by Chris K; 01-13-17, 01:06 AM.
                          Regards
                          Chris K

                          DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X