Reduing acoustic noise of bass pedal hitting the bass pad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduing acoustic noise of bass pedal hitting the bass pad

Hi everyone! im new to the forum, and i have a question regarding my new vdrum

So i just bought a Yamaha DTX522k. its really fun to play, however i have an issue that whenever i hit the bass kick with my bass pedal, you can hear this really loud mix of both the pedal hitting the rubber pad and a metalic vibration noise (i guess from the pad stand vibration), and my neighbour next door (which i share a wall with) can hear it. I've tried moving the drums away from the shared wall to the wall in front of it that is facing the outside of the building, but he can still hear it.

I've did a research in google and most people recommend the tennis ball stand, but does it really help with reducing the metalic vibration? i hear that it reduces the sound towards downstairs, but does it also help with reducing the sound on the same ground level? as i did try hitting the bass pedal against the pad on my bed and did a test and i can still hear it from outside the apartment next to my neighboor door.

Are there any other recomended methods of reducing the sounds i've listed above?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

also sorry if this is the wrong forum.. if it is then where should i post this kind of question?

when i had a rubber pad kick.. i taped some foam on the beaters.. (with double sided tape) to reduce impact noise ..like this..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKStKtsFTtg

Comment

Shouldn't get a metallic noise - that's curious. I've got some KP65 pads and none make that noise.

Anyway, you could try a beaterless kick, like a Yamaha KU100, for example, they're very cheap and quieter.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

a metallic vibration sound? have you checked all the hardware on the tower to make sure it's tight?
        Yamaha DTX502 module, 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10 (hi-hat), PCY135.on a Roland MDS-7 rack.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses!

So i've isolated the issue, it seems the metalic noise i've been hearing is coming from the bass pedal itself and not from the electronic bass drum. I have this pedal:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...10a/index.html

It is making the noise after a medium-strong kick. I guess that sound is not normal right? I've tried messing around with the beater angles, i also taped foam to the beater as @Ericdrumz said to see if it somehow helps reduce the metalic noise somehow, but to no avail, It did reduce the sound of the rubber which is good but the metalic sound is louder. I've also tighten all the screws, layed the pedal not directly on the floor, but same issue.

Is it a normal sound for a Yamaha\any pedal?

Comment

a metallic noise.. that's odd.. and no, with all my pedals you only hear beater hits..
            maybe check screws, bolts .. i put a heavy doormat under my pedal /kick and lube hinge points and bearings with a little sewing machine oil ..

Comment

i never had a metallic noise with any of my pedals, although i haven't owned a yamaha pedal.
              Yamaha DTX502 module, 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10 (hi-hat), PCY135.on a Roland MDS-7 rack.

Comment

Originally posted by Katnopic View Post
                So i just bought a Yamaha DTX522k. its really fun to play, however i have an issue that whenever i hit the bass kick with my bass pedal, you can hear this really loud mix of both the pedal hitting the rubber pad and a metalic vibration noise (i guess from the pad stand vibration), and my neighbour next door (which i share a wall with) can hear it. I've tried moving the drums away from the shared wall to the wall in front of it that is facing the outside of the building, but he can still hear it.
                The metallic noise could come from the spring mechanism, so either the spring itself or induced by the bearing. Try changing the spring, or puting some foam/cloth inside. Also, try lubricating or changing the spring bearing.
                A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW

Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers

Comment

Working...
                X