Here is how to stack sounds on TD modules with MIDI and Perc sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Othila View Post
    I've put something together on Youtube, it's very basic, however this will get someone up and running, I'll do more when I have some extra time soon.

Part one
    https://youtu.be/1lQOeyeiitE

Part two
    https://youtu.be/Dhla8WriN-8

Thanks for taking the time to make these videos. I am curious now as to how much better the TD-50 sounds compared to TD-30 layered...hmmm

Comment

drumlab84, you can load samples and layer them with TD-30 using TM-2 ... or any sampler ... or Handsonic HDP-20 if you have one only single sample i think

Comment

I played the TD50 a few weeks ago for around 30 mins and found it similar to the TD30, the snare was a big change in size for me. I'm sure the TD50 would be great as It seems to have all the missing features of the TD30, would I upgrade.... not at this time. The TD30 has all I need for now.

I also use the TM-2 and this with the TD30 is a great mix, however now that I'm layering internal with the TD30 I don't see myself using the TM-2 again unless I need a sampled sound.
        Last edited by Othila; 12-30-16, 03:43 PM.
        Roland TD-30, TD-12, Roland Pads/Cymbals
        SD2, EZD2, QSC K12s

Comment

Bit for bit the same for me, except I had a TD-50 on order and it never came so I couldn't even play it. I'm convinced it's more or less the same as well. Yesterday evening I was trying to compare samples again against our *newly developed* TD-30, I found it was better on the TD-30, all simply. I believe I never had another device I could run so many deep tips and hacks on than the TD-30 and kit, and that last one is priceless, it's like getting a new module!

Comment

Othila, can you save your Roland config and upload it somewhere? I should in theory be able to take your settings and use it once I have the MIDI cable plugged in, correct? Your layered edited kit sounds fantastic and I would love to try it out as I also play live. Great drumming by the way as well.
            TD-30 module with a TD-20SX kit into a JBL PRX615M stage monitor. DW9000 series hi-hat and double bass pedal. Now using a modified "Nashville" kit on the TD-30.

My old band's Youtube Channel: Project Mayhem, all TD-20 mixes.

Comment

Could this be done on the TD50 with percussion sounds from the Roland Handsonic???

Comment

Agree with JoeDirt

Othila please upload some of your kit/setting MIDI [layering] from TD-30, thank you.

Comment

For layering sample Alesis Sample Rack at 199$ with any TD module 3 layers togheter, the down side, it can take time to load from each users kits, if the sample are much more then 3 sec and all full assigned for all triggers.

With Sd Cards
                  Dual zone snare Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi notes triggers)

Tom triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)
                  Cymbals triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)

Kick one zone, 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note (total of 2 sound)

With Sd Cards
                  Hi Hat A:
                  Open; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note
                  Mid ; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note
                  Close; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note

Hi Hat B:
                  Open; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
                  Mid; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
                  Close; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note

HiHat Chick 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B
                  HiHat splash 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B

Hihat: Total of 8 midi note and 16 samples

Without Sd Cards
                  Hi Hat A:
                  Open;1 sound, 1 midi note
                  Mid 1 sound, 1 midi note
                  Close; 1 sound, 1 midi note

Hi Hat B:
                  Open; 1 sound, 1 midi note
                  Mid; 1 sound, 1 midi note
                  Close; 1 sound, 1 midi note

HiHat Chick 1 sound, 1 midi note
                  HiHat splash 1 sound, 1 midi note

Hihat: Total of 8 midi note and 8 samples

Each 8 or 16 sample Hihat can be played Via midi as a normal trigger or drum, no need to be hihat device, you can assign any sound to them... I plugged my Spd-SX and I play these 8 midi note separately on each spd-sx pad and all is fine like a drums.

Kick, 1 midi note, 2 velocity switch sound A+B

You can leave B empty if you want even with the SD cards installed

With SD Cards =46 samples sound with velocity switch or simultaneous and 23 midi note each users kit

There is more potential then the Sample Pad Pro, more layers capability on each zone and more sound. (Sample pad pro are limited to 8 one zone pad velocity switch)

you can trigs 8 samples or 16 velocity switch sound via midi for the hihat with any sound assigned to the hihat open,mid, close chick and splash works as trigger

with Sd Cards, 23 midi note and 46 samples each users kits, more potential with Sample Rack!
                  Last edited by Chris K; 01-05-17, 03:09 PM.
                  Regards
                  Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Chris, can you email me one of your kit using Alesis Sample Rack with TD-30 please? i would like to try, thanks.

Comment

I'll upload my standard kit tonight and I'm not sure how I'll upload the Perc layered kit? I can't find a way to just to send this info other than my whole TD30 layout which I'm not into.

Another thing to remember is, I change my layered kit a lot and have a new one as of today, also trigger settings and playing style will determine how this all sounds for you. I remember getting the Lang, Rabb TD30 kits and was hanging to play these, I loaded these up and they sounded like crap, like real crap... and the reason was... I don't play like them and their TD30 setup was suited to their own playing styles and musical tastes.

Saying that, I'll send what I have, If this sounds like crap to your ears, it sounds great for me as It's setup for me.

Also, the layered kit is subtle and meant to enhance, not over power.

Cheers, Simon
                      SD2, EZD2, QSC K12s

Comment

thanks Othila, can't wait to try out.

Comment

For some reason I can't seem to upload the TD30 kit here, not sure why this, has happened before. Invalid file it's saying, I seem to recall a fix for this, any suggestions?.
                          Last edited by Othila; 01-06-17, 01:27 PM.
                          SD2, EZD2, QSC K12s

Comment

Ok, worked it out, I needed to compress the file.

Now this is my standard basic kit. Another thing to remember is trigger settings and playing style will determine how this all sounds for you.

My pads also might not line up with your TD30 inputs as I play a 4 piece kit with an extra trigger, BT-1

"Inputs"
                            1. kick (I use a KD7 no rim programed)
                            2. Snare ( PD125)
                            3. Tom (PDX100)
                            6. Floor (PDX100)
                            7 & Highhat control, Hats VH13
                            8. Crash-1 (CY13R)
                            9. Crash-2 (CY13R)
                            10,11. Ride (CY13R)
                            14. Extra trigger, BT-1

The other inputs I don't use and have no Idea what is on these so please disregard those, or program your own thing.

Cheers,
                            Simon
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Othila; 01-06-17, 01:44 PM.
                            SD2, EZD2, QSC K12s

Comment

i really like the snare, thanks.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I have Positional Sensing turned off on the snare, I don't like it.

Cheers,
                                Simon
                                SD2, EZD2, QSC K12s

Comment

Working...
                                X