Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Band all playing with headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band all playing with headphones

Hey so since I have a ton of gear to move and tear down etc, I would rather keep any band practice in my place. I live in a condo so I cant have anything loud (PAs, amps etc) so everything would need to be headphoned up. Drums, guitars, bass etc.

what gear will i need to run everything through? some type of hub I am sure.

thanks
    TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Um... Jamhub maybe? Check it out on their website. It is as good as it looks.

Comment

ya that looks like pretty much what I want. thanks
      maybe there is a cheaper knock off type one I could find
      TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Comment

Your best bet is to find one used.
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I poked in the forum not so long ago in search for a similar answer. Here is what i found out.

Jamhub came up but it is a bit expensive indeed! There is a similar option which is the OZ Audio Q-Mix HM-6 which has been re-branded has the Mackie HMX-56.

Another option that came up was the combination of a headphone amp and an audio mixer.
          You can get for example this heaphone amp : Behringer Microamp HA400, for around 25$. Then search for a used mixer. You will plug all your instruments in the mixer and feed the line out to the headphone amp. This will accommodate 4 musicians and everyone gets a volume control (on the HA400). You could also use cable spliters to accommodate more musicians if they have low impedance headphones or don't need that much volume. Someone suggested that you put a microphone in the middle of the room to allow communication without removing the headphones which i think a good idea.

Good luck!
          Last edited by saumonboiteux; 05-27-14, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks! but not sure what you mean about the mic in the middle?

Comment

put a microphone in the room so it picks up everyone talking - usually the middle of the room....this way you can converse with each other without taking the headphones off.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Originally posted by campster View Post
                  put a microphone in the room so it picks up everyone talking - usually the middle of the room....this way you can converse with each other without taking the headphones off.
                  This can be particularly useful if you are wearing noise isolating headphones or in ear monitors (or useless if you use open headphones).

Comment

Get the JamHub if you can, used would be worth a look. You won't be disappointed.
                    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Ive got a mixer and headphone amp for saumons suggestion above. Good suggestion about tge microphone in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                        Ive got a mixer and headphone amp for saumons suggestion above. Good suggestion about tge microphone in the middle.
                        When we did this...everyone had their own mic. Jamhub allows this but having at least one mic in the room is a must for communication. That said...this is a good technique for a band using a full IEM system on stage too. Just point the mic at the audience & give them their own channel on the console so you can interact with them appropriately. Works great.
                        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                          A doubt came to my mind... Do you need a pre-amp for the electric guitars when using a mixer?

Comment

Working...
                          X