Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitars and keyboards with TD-30K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars and keyboards with TD-30K?

OK I have the TD-30K and two Roland PM-10 amps.

If I wanted to add an electric guitar and electronic keyboard can I use these amps or the TD-30?

I know that is a way-dumb question but dangit I want to rock and I need to learn how to get things going!

Thanks.

Chuck
    I be rockin' with the TD-30K.

I have no experience with the PM-10, but Roland's website says this:

http://www.roland.com/support/articl...D10&id=1832136

If I read it right, it has a drum input, and a line input, so two devices can be connected without needing a mixer.

Since you have two, you get two stereo devices or four mono ones. :-)

Since the EQ curve is different for the line's vs the drum inputs,
    if it was me I would be to get a cheap stereo mixer (hordes of them on Amazon for < $100)
    and put the guitar and keyboard through them and send a stereo mix to the monitors' line inputs.

The drums I would plug in directly to the drum inputs and see how they sound.
    If I wanted a flatter response for the drums I would put them through the mixer too.

Or, if you want to avoid the mixer and/or can live with mono, use do a stereo drum feed,
    but put a mono feed from each of the other two instruments into one of the PM-10s' line inputs.
    That would be a drum-centric mix, but maybe that's what you want. :-)
    Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
    Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
    Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by kurth83 View Post
      I have no experience with the PM-10, but Roland's website says this: http://www.roland.com/support/articl...D10&id=1832136 If I read it right, it has a drum input, and a line input, so two devices can be connected without needing a mixer. Since you have two, you get two stereo devices or four mono ones. :-) Since the EQ curve is different for the line's vs the drum inputs, if it was me I would be to get a cheap stereo mixer (hordes of them on Amazon for < $100) and put the guitar and keyboard through them and send a stereo mix to the monitors' line inputs. The drums I would plug in directly to the drum inputs and see how they sound. If I wanted a flatter response for the drums I would put them through the mixer too. Or, if you want to avoid the mixer and/or can live with mono, use do a stereo drum feed, but put a mono feed from each of the other two instruments into one of the PM-10s' line inputs. That would be a drum-centric mix, but maybe that's what you want. :-)
      Great advice Kurt! Thanks! Chuck

Comment

+1 on Kurth's advice. I do have a question tho. What are you actually doing with said set up, where you claim your goal is to "rock" (which I thoroughly support btw....not enough of us out there doing that!)

Are you playing live someplace? My point being, not sure the Roland PM-10s are good as a true PA set up. If you're just setting up to noodle/record by yourself or with some friends then fine. If you're performing at all, I would recommend a traditional PA setup, with monitors for each instrument (drums, keys, guitar) and when I say monitors, not vocal, but amp/monitors so the musicians can actually play out of something and be heard onstage.

K ;-)
        Last edited by Kenster; 05-06-14, 04:37 PM.
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
          +1 on Kurth's advice. I do have a question tho. What are you actually doing with said set up, where you claim your goal is to "rock" (which I thoroughly support btw....not enough of us out there doing that!)

Are you playing live someplace? My point being, not sure the Roland PM-10s are good as a true PA set up. If you're just setting up to noodle/record by yourself or with some friends then fine. If you're performing at all, I would recommend a traditional PA setup, with monitors for each instrument (drums, keys, guitar) and when I say monitors, not vocal, but amp/monitors so the musicians can actually play out of something and be heard onstage.

K ;-)

Hi K thanks for the input (no pun intended!).

Yeah this is just for inside my home. What do you think of Kurt's idea to have a mixer and just plug it into the TD-30? If I do get a mixer can you guys suggest what to get? I'm new at this but would like to start experimenting. Got to start somewhere right?

Maybe in time I'll go bigger and get each player his/her own monitor.

Appreciate the help. Can't believe I'm finally learning to play the drums and being able to rock with others!

Chuck

Comment

Working...
          X