Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Module--interface--mixer--monitor wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Module--interface--mixer--monitor wiring

I'm wondering if anyone can explain how to connect my TD-11 module to a laptop that is connected to an audio interface and a mixer and a monitor.

This is what I have:

Module out>MIDI cable to laptop USB
    Module out>USB cable to laptop USB
    Module out>1/4" X 2 to mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802)
    Laptop out>audio interface (Focusrite 2i2) via USB
    Laptop out>mixer via 1/8" to two 1/4"
    Audio interface out>mixer via 2 x 1/4"
    Headphones out from mixer headphones socket 1/4"
    Audio interface out>Simmons Da200s monitor, single 1/4"

I seem to have cables everywhere! Are all these connections necessary? Is there a way to simplify all this? I am using a) the TD-11 by itself or b) with Addictive Drums or c) playing along with songs/videos on my laptop. I listen through headphones or with headphones and monitor together, hence the mixer.
    Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Okay, a whole lot of 'construction site', here... Very messy!
    Lets clean that up a little, shall we?

Advice 1
    Module out>MIDI cable to laptop USB
    Module out>USB cable to laptop USB
    You don't need both at the same time! It's 'either or' for transfering MIDI-data out of the module!
    Since the 2i2 doesn't have a MIDI-In to connect a MIDI-cable to, use option number 2, instead.

Advice 2
    Laptop out>audio interface (Focusrite 2i2) via USB
    and

Laptop out>mixer via 1/8" to two 1/4"
    Again, it's 'either or'.
    These all will work by themselves, just not at the same time!
    You don't need redundancy in this situation. Go with option number 1.

It would be akward to run with your laptops' built-in soundcard, if you already have a nice USB-Interface that you can put to good use!

Advice 3
    Headphones out from mixer headphones socket 1/4"
    Audio interface out>Simmons Da200s monitor, single 1/4"
    These connections all will work. It depends on whether you want to play through headphones or the Simmons monitor! Note that you can also connect your headphones directly to the Audio Interface.

Advice 4
    This is where it really gets interesting:

Module out>1/4" X 2 to mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802)
    While up until now, all indicators where pointing at the 'VST-route', this one is actually going to suggest the 'Module route'.
    While they are not mutually exclusive, this I feel is one source that's causing yet more confusion!

If you wanted to play the module's own sounds, you can connect the modules' outputs straight to the Audio Interface *or* use the USB connection - no need really to get the mixer involved in this case.

I seem to have cables everywhere! Are all these connections necessary?
    No.

Is there a way to simplify all this?
    Yes.

If all this was still to complicated to grasp, please take a look here:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...987#post986987

Bottom Line
    What seems to be causing the most confusion overall here, is the redundant pairing of Audio Interface and the Behringer mixer! And before you search for 'Vdrums below $2000', better know your cables!

Personally, I'd lose the mixer as fast as possible! You don't seem to need it - and I'm not fond of Behringer-quality anyway.

HTH
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the time you took to provide a very clear and detailed response. I will be trying this all out as soon as possible to see what works best. I will let you know the result. Thanks again!
      Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

OK, sorry about being such a noob about cables! But actually there is a method in what I am trying to do here.

First, though, you're right...I don't need two outs from the module. One USB>USB works.

Now I have the following cable connections:
        1. Module USB>laptop USB obviously essential
        2. Module 1/4" x 2 > mixer 1/4" x 2 REASON? to play module sounds
        3. Laptop USB>Focusrite 2i2 obviously essential
        4. Focusrite 2i2 1/4" x 2 > mixer 1/4" x 2 REASON? so I can control drum volume AND play-along track volume separately. A critical issue, no?
        5. Mixer 1/4" > monitor 1/4" REASON? so I can play drums and play-along tracks AND have JUST DRUM sounds coming from monitor (for thump effect).
        7. Headphones plugged into mixer obviously essential

And to use AD instead of the module sounds, I take the headphones out of the mixer and plug them into the Focusrite 2i2.

Would love to hear feedback, just to know if I am crazy or not!!! Or, indeed if it can be simplified further.

Comment

You could do the track mixing in a DAW to control volume for each (you have to reach your computer anyway to select/start/stop your songs, right?) and get rid of your mixer. Then, just plug Main Outputs from the 2i2 to the monitor for those times when you want a "live" feel.
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Yes, thanks for that idea. But then I am controlling with a mouse rather than with dials on a mixer, right? It seems that different songs have different volumes, so there is always a need for fine-tuning.

Comment

I set up a playlist in my computer and normalize the songs. Then, I just have to hit play.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

What if you plug the backing track player directly into the DA-200's Aux-input (...it seems to have a dedicated volume knob for it) - or the 'Mix In' input on your TD-11 module?

HTH
                Greetings from Switzerland,
                - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Yes, thanks for the ideas. I have tried the Aux-input on the Simmons, and just now I tried the mix-in input on the TD-11 module. Neither work as well as the Focusrite and the mixer. All worth trying though, and fun to mess around with.
                  Last edited by gradier; 04-26-14, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Like you,Gradier, I prefer to have a physical mixer in-line. A ton easier, faster, and safer for me to grab a nearby fader than poke around with a mouse, especially if I've got the in-ears jammed in my head. Sometimes seems like overkill, just depends how you like to work. Sometimes I'll take it all apart and soon after, remember why I had a certain routing configured. Lol. I also have wireless in-ears with a volume control/mix levels on the receiver but I don't like to use up batteries for practicing. I also have a cheap patch-bay in my rack that handles all the I/O from my module, including the trigger inputs from the kit, so I rarely have to plug/unplug cables directly into the module. Again, may be overkill but 100 bucks to save wear n tear on the module and interface jacks is a good deal IMO.

Comment

I also prefer having a mixer........"in the mix" LOL
                      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                      X