Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VH11 and TD30 Not working correctly when playing with foot pedal only - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH11 and TD30 Not working correctly when playing with foot pedal only - please help

I'm new to drums altogether, not just Vdrums.
    I purchased a TD30K kit and quality hi-hat hardware (Pearl eliminator H2000).

I have been struggling to get the hi-hat working well if I only use the hi-hat foot-pedal to get the sound (is this called splash?).
    The hi-hat itself when played regularly with the sticks sounds ok, or when playing with sticks along with the foot pedal is ok. The issue is when *not* using the sticks and playing just with the foot.
    The sound is very faint, or not even there.

Also, second thing is the hi-hat cymbal keeps rotating so the "roland" embossed portion comes towards me while playing. Is there a way to keep it fixed?

Appreciate any help on this!!
    Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, drumrider!

You can adjust the volume of the Hihat pedal in the mixer settings:
    Press [MIXER] - [F4](Kit Volume) and select or play your hihat pedal, to make 'Pedal HH Volume' appear on the screen. Use the dial, the [–] [+] buttons or the cursor buttons, to change the volume (see p.65 in the user-manual).

Also, you can adjust how easily the foot splash can be played:
    Press [TRIGGER] - [F3] (HI-HAT), and use the cursor buttons to select 'Foot Splash Sens'. Again, use the [–] and [+] buttons or the dial to adjust the setting. (see p.128)

As for the spinning hihat pad: you may need a hihat stand that has a fixed hihat rod.

Happy drumming!
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 04-15-14, 12:17 PM.
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the response, Hairmetal.
      I did try the things you mentioned, but although I managed to get increase in the volume of the Hi-hat sounds when playing by striking with the stick, I still have not been able to get a satisfactory sound when just using the foot to play the hi-hat.
      While trying out the settings on the TD30, if I chose the "VH12" as the hi-hat type in the settings, I got a more audible hi-hat sound when playing with the foot.
      Wonder what is wrong? The VH11 is part of the TD30K kit, and is expected to work really well! Has no one else faced this issue?
      The manual says to loosen the clutch and let the hi-hat rest on the sensor unit, then modify the open/close screw, then adjust the sensitivity, but the sensitivity remains constant unless the clutch is tightened is what I saw..

Moreover, I had bought what I thought was a really nice Hi-hat stand - the Pearl Eliminator H2000. Have come to realise that the VH11 keeps spinning due to the rod on this stand which is designed that way...some people have corrected this using a screw tightening on the rod - I still have to figure this out.

Comment

Try calibrating the hi hat according to the manual instructions so that the offset is correct. This might improve the splash effect. I upgraded to the VH11 on my last kit (TD9SX). And I recall that I had an okay splash sound. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• drumrider
          drumrider commented
          Editing a comment
          the motion sensor unit. I can only make adjustments when the hi-hat is tight and depressed using the foot pedal on my hi-hat stand.
          Is there something wrong with my VH-11? And when I did that, and tried turning the clutch screw around I still can not for the life of it get the >-[ ]-< to get into one line. the > < and the moving line are not getting together. What could be wrong??

• jimorlando
          jimorlando commented
          Editing a comment
          When you calibrate the VH-11 you need to loosen the clutch so the top hi-hat sits on the lower unit then you adjust the offset screw until you get the >[ ]

the motion sensor unit. I can only make adjustments when the hi-hat is tight and depressed using the foot pedal on my hi-hat stand.
        Is there something wrong with my VH-11? And when I did that, and tried turning the clutch screw around I still can not for the life of it get the >-[ ]-< to get into one line. the > < and the moving line are not getting together. What could be wrong??

Comment

When you calibrate the VH-11 you need to loosen the clutch so the top hi-hat sits on the lower unit then you adjust the offset screw until you get the >[ ]
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

My posts are not including everything that I wrote. I will try and continue. ....to line up with the line. Then adjust the hi hat to where you want it and tighten the clutch. Also when turning your module on and off, make sure that you keep your foot off of the pedal. Keep us up to date and good luck.

Comment

That's exactly what I tried: loosened the clutch, so the hi-hat sits by itself on the motion sensor unit, my foot was not on the pedal.
              Tried calibration by moving the thumbscrew on the hi-hat, the HH Sens always remains at 0 and meter does NOT move up and down when rotating the the offset adjustment. Should this field not show a numeric value other than just zero when adjustments are made?

In the manual, it says to loosen the clutch screw and allow the hi-hat to rest naturally on top of the motion sensor unit when making adjustments. It appears impossible to make adjustments when the hi-hat rests on top of the motion sensor unit. I can only make adjustments when the hi-hat is slightly lifted and the clutch is tightened.
              What could be wrong, and how to fix it?

Comment

Either the thumbscrew has been turned way to far in one direction and needs to be brought back the other way a bunch OR the clutch has been taken apart and put back together wrong.
                I doubt the sensor is broken. Try adjusting the thumbscrew first in one direction all the way then the other before taking it apart. If you do take it apart clean each piece and follow the roland directions for putting it back together.
                ​Good luck.
                "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                X