Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real newbie question

Hi, having had my td11kv for over a year now and pretty much just playing it, I've decided to try and get the best I can from it and was wondering what purpose the midi port serves. Can I utilise this to give me more options for anything useful, thanks, Dusty. Please keep it simple as I'm not very technical with this stuff.

Hi,
    MIDI is your TD-11s Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It allows your TD-11's sound generator (which is a computer in of itself) to "speak" to other devices. You can use your TD-11 kit to play other instruments that have a MIDI IN port. It also allows you to record into a computer that has a MIDI In connection. That said, since it also has USB/MIDI, this is unnecessary. It's simpler to use USB/MIDI for the computer connection, since it's two-way (In and Out). Bear in mind that recording via MIDI doesn't record audio information; it's just the data your TD-11 used to play its internal sounds in the first place. It's sort of like the old-fashioned player piano roll (see image) with the little spikes on the spool in a digital format.

So you can actually use your TD-11 to play a synthesizer, or any other MIDI keyboard, and any other drum module that has MIDI In. Other than that it doesn't do anything useful that I can think of. That said, when MIDI first came out it was an amazing thing to be able to play other instruments as a drummer, and it still is. It's just lost its "Wow" factor.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Ok thanks, it sounds like it's pretty null and void then with a USB connection on the module.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty605 View Post
        Ok thanks, it sounds like it's pretty null and void then with a USB connection on the module.
        Null and void? This gives you the opportunity to play the best samples in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by airflamesred View Post

Null and void? This gives you the opportunity to play the best samples in the world.
          Yep...you just need the correct hardware/software combo running from your PC so that latency is not an issue. Homework is definitely a must for this venture.....but the fruits of labor and money can be quite satisfying when done correctly.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Ok, so where do I start, I really don't have a clue?

Comment

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...all-vst-primer

Comment

Working...
              X