Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V-Cymbal Ride Bell Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Cymbal Ride Bell Sound

Just got the V-Cymbals in today -- They are great. However, I noticed that the bell sound on the ride seems to take an unusually hard hit to sound off. So if you don't hit the bell or rim area hard enough you get the normal ride sound.

Has anybody else noticed this? And is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the bell or rim area on the new V-Cymbal Ride?

BTW -- I ordered the 4 cymbal from Drummusic.com -- They shipped out of Belgium and did not have any problems receiving them -- Except for an unexpected $40 COD charge. Something to do with customs. Anyways, it was less than $850 for all four -- which is a good deal if you live in the United States.
    Denver, CO
    Vpro Drummer

criewe,

Noticed that the stock setting on the V-Session was a bit too high and indeed, needed to hit the bell of the ride harder then i felt necesary to have a bell sound. Adjusted the sensitivity in the MENU and now all is fine.

Enjoy the music,

Steven R. Rochlin
    http:/www.EnjoyTheMusic.com
    Enjoy the music,

Steven R. Rochlin
    http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

Comment

criewe,
      What module are you using?

Comment

I'm using the TDW-1 Original..
        Denver, CO
        Vpro Drummer

Comment

Originally posted by criewe:
          I'm using the TDW-1 Original and have to hit the bell HARD
          I have the latest TDW-1 and you are right. You have have to hit the bell VERY HARD and at just the right angle with the side of the stick. I was not able to adjust the setting, since the bell does not have a separate sensitivity when using the 3 zone cymbal. I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has found a way to improve on this. By the way - Dwight at BPM music sold me the high hat and crash cymbals at 214 ea shipped and the ride at $249 shipped - so unless you want your instructions in Dutch and French, no need to order from Belgium

Comment

I'm using the TDW-1 Original..
            Denver, CO
            Vpro Drummer

Comment

Originally posted by Enjoy the Music.com:
              Drummersdad,

You are right in that the bell itself has no individual adjustment. What i did was to adjust the entire cymbal. Here are my settings:

MAKE SURE you are using Bank 2

Basic

Sensitivity 8
              Threshold 6

Advanced

San 1.0
              ReTrig 10
              Mask 8
              Xtalk 50
              MountType CymMount

Hope this helps. Also, i do not use the tip of the drum stick for the bell, but more the top shaft as i do when playing a real bell of a real cymbal.

Enjoy the music (Frank Zappa "We've Got To Get Into Something Real" from Sheik Yerbouti right now),

Steven R. Rochlin http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

"Listen to him go!
              Wait a minute; we gotta get somethin' real happenin' here
              He's in there spendin' thousands of dollars 'n' sh*t...
              We should make this worthwhile
              We should We should get into something REAL

*Ho Ho* LEATHER!

No, man, he's not interested in Leather

...sh*t, that sh*t's been f-ckin' rubbed in the ground Hmmmm Christ, that's goin' on two tours old now...

We gotta come up with some new sh*t..."
              Enjoy the music,

Steven R. Rochlin
              http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

Comment

You can use the tip of the stick to trigger the bell very articulatly if you set the sensitivity to 12 and the threshold to 4.

Comment

Thanks Steven and Cliff - I tried the suggested Basic settings (the Advanced settings were the defaults) and don't have much improvement. You've really got to stike the Bell hard with the side of the stick - no way could the tip trigger it. Maybe I've got a bad ride or hooked it up wrong. I'm using Bank 2, position 10 has RdA - CY15R(positional) and position 11 says CTR - CY15R Control, right?

Comment

I just got my session set today and I am having the same problem. The sensitivity is nothing like the product video (from Roland) shows. The video shows acoustic type response without having to pound the bell. There has to be a way to achieve better response. Anyone called Roland or asked at their local music store?
                    V-Session

Comment

My V-ride responds exactly like the video. I do not have to pound the bell. One thing you guys might want to try is loosening the "swing".

Comment

Hi I am John from Holland,
                        I also have the trigger problem with the v-cymbal bell.
                        The response on soft hits is not there. Only when you hit it hard on the side of the bell it triggers with high velocity,as you can see on the trigger page( basic) of the TD 10.
                        I talked to the Roland importer in Belgium but they dont have a clue.
                        Is there anybody who has the ride V-cymbal with the tdw 1 (without v-cymbal control)card,who can hit the bell very soft with the tip of the stick and who gets a response of the bell?Please inform me about it.Thanks John

------------------

Comment

Yes -- I have tried all the suggested settings to no avail -- Kinda pisses me off -- I get a better response from my pd-9. So I am going to back to the PD-9 and am going to send this CY-15R back to Roland and hopefully they can fix. Or maybe thats just the way it is... I think I'll go back to the music store though -- seems like I got a better response from their demo setup when I tested it -- I'll keep you all posted --

Denver, CO
                          Vpro Drummer

Comment

criew and johnber,

You both say you are using the original TDW-1. Why do you expect the CY-15R to work properly without the v-cymbal upgrade? Why don't you get your cards upgraded, it's free? If your totally against upgrading, can't understand why? Try splitting the bow/bell to two seperate inputs.

You guys with the proper cards concern me. I am still considering this ride. Until I here more favorable comments???? I don't know? Cliff seems to be satisfied though.

Comment

BtnkBndt

I didn't know that upgrading to the V-Cymbal control card would allow the bell to be more responsive. I thought it just allowed for bell, normal and edge response from the CY-15R. I don't think upgrading to the V-Cymbal control card will help.. Unless I'm missing something.
                              Denver, CO
                              Vpro Drummer

Comment

Working...
                              X