Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get tremolo to record into patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get tremolo to record into patterns

So, I'm using an external keyboard to my MIDI IN of my TD20x to record some keyboard parts to various songs the band is playing. I'm using the module's internal sounds and recording as a pattern so I can play the part back any time by hitting a pad. Here's the problem I'm having:

The keyboard has a pitch-bend/tremolo joystick on it that I would like to incorporate into one of my patterns. I can get the pitch-bend to record just fine (push the joystick right for pitch-bend up or left for pitch-bend down) but I can't get the tremolo to record at all (push the joystick up or down for tremolo)!!

Now, it seems there ought to be a setting somewhere to allow for this but I can't find it. Also, it seems strange to me that one would work when the other won't since the tremolo is really just very small degrees of rapid pitch bend but maybe the inner workings are more complex than they seem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mark
    www.RemedyRocksKC.com

The Tremolo effect you seek to do is one of the numbered MIDI Continous Controllers (CC), in this case called 'Modulation' (CC#1).
    On your TD-20X, go to [Setup] and [MIDI] (owners manual page 74 onwards) and see if CC's are enabled.

Every synth (or module, in that case I guess...) may be different in the controller events it uses for different functions. The MIDI spec is just a guideline in this area. According to the TD-20's 'MIDI Implementation Chart (page 100, under 'Control Change') the CC# for Modulation should indeed be supported!

HTH
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• hairmetal-81
      hairmetal-81 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm scratching my head at the moment... A MIDI-sequencer, that doesn't recognize the mod-wheel on a MIDI-keyboard connected to it, simply is a 'no-no', this can't happen!

A rare scenario, but could it be that your keyboards' joystick isn't sending 'Modulation' data on its MIDI-Output?

• daebado
      daebado commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have thought that, too but I've tried it on 2 different keyboards with the same results. Pitch bend works fine but no modulation! Just strange.

• hairmetal-81
      hairmetal-81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep in mind that while modulation is a continous controller, pitch-bend is not!

...it is completely separate from all the CC's like modulation, volume, pan, reverb-send and whatnot!

Cool, I'll check that out tonight. Thanks for the info!!

(783 posts and still learning!!)

Mark
    www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

Ok, so I see the chart but I'm not following how to read it.

Under "Function" I see the control change number for modulation is 1.
      Under "Transmitted," I see... O (Pad, Pedal) *1 *2 *3
      At the bottom of the page, I see where *1 One is selected as the strike position, *2 One is selected as the hi-hat control pedal, *3 Drum part only.
      Honestly, I have no idea what any of that means!!
      Under "Recognized", it's the same except it doesn't say "(Pad, Pedal)".

I do see where O means "yes" and X means "no" but I can't find any explanation on how to read the rest of this chart! Very confusing for someone just getting into sequencing! To me, the explanation for the meaning of *1, *2 & *3 almost makes it sound like the modulation function is for drums and percussion only. I hope I'm wrong about that!

Anyone willing or able to translate?

Thanks,

​Mark
      www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

Mark, the only thing in the manual that I found at this point was the explanations regarding the built-in sequencer starting on p.61 and the following pages, but nowhere was there a notion or explanation mentioning 'Modulation' or 'Controller CC'. So while the sequencer should receive CC#1, I wonder if there's a page in the [MIDI] menu of the module to turn it on?
        Greetings from Switzerland,
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• daebado
          daebado commented
          Editing a comment
          If there is, I couldn't find it. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not there... just that I couldn't find it if it is!!

Mark
      Working...
      X