Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD30 detects rim on single zone pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD30 detects rim on single zone pads

I just received the new module today to upgrade an old TD10 kit. I notice that the TD30 is detecting rim shots from my single zone pads. I have 2 PD100 pads and a PD120 with the rim piezo removed and all three are triggering rim shots. It is not very sensitive like on the dual zone pads, but adjusting the rim gain all the way up makes them trigger fairly good.

Obviously this is a nice surprise, but is it supposed to do this? I didn't think it was possible and was planning to install rim triggers but now I don't have to.
    TD10 kit, VH11, sticks, beer

I noticed the same thing in a different way. Using splitters to run a two zone tom as a one zone tom and a cymbal connected to the "rim" of the splitter, the tom would trigger the cymbal sound if I hit the rim or the tom. In my case, I didn't want that to happen, so I switched to a pad type of PAD2 and the problem went away entirely.

It remains unclear how or why the module does this.
    eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
    aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
    TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

Are your trigger settings set up correctly? The wrong pad setting can give incorrect tiggering.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
        Are your trigger settings set up correctly? The wrong pad setting can give incorrect tiggering.
        The TD30 doesn't have PD100 or PD120 in the list so I'm using the PD105 and PD125 settings, which I modify to my liking. I've tried the different pad presets and it's the same result.

It's actually like getting a bonus upgrade on my single zone pads. I'm just shocked that it's even possible it can pick up a rim shot without a rim trigger installed, and the positional sensing works. I'll probably still install the rim piezos because it does take a harder hit to trigger the rim sound on the single zone pads than it does on the dual zone pads.

Comment

If your Rim light does not light up on your module when you hit the edge you are prolly just getting the outer head zone of the Positional detection. If you want to check it you can look at the instrument you are triggering from your rim as the head and rim sounds in the module are 2 separate titles.
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
            If your Rim light does not light up on your module when you hit the edge you are prolly just getting the outer head zone of the Positional detection. If you want to check it you can look at the instrument you are triggering from your rim as the head and rim sounds in the module are 2 separate titles.
            The rim light does light and I can change the sound for the rim separately from the head

Comment

I've experienced this as well with single zone DIY toms.Its obvious that the td 30 uses positional sensing to sense a rim hit .It is likely that the 2nd sensor is there only to boost the sensitivity of the rim. With a single zone pad ,or dual zone for at matter, if you adjust your head/ rim adjust all the way down you will get the rim sound even when striking the head directly on the center. If you adjust it all the way up you will get the head sound even on the rim.The rim/head adjust is there to find a nice balance between to 2.
              Pearl mimic pro module.
              yamaha oak live custom drum kit with DIY internal triggers
              yamaha pcy155 crashes pcy135 for China.Atv 18” ride.Yamaha rhh135 hit hat with drone trigger optical hi hat controller.Roland kda22 bass drum converter kit

Comment

Working...
              X