Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sorry: Can Vdrum pads be used with a different vendor's module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry: Can Vdrum pads be used with a different vendor's module?

I searched and found the opposite can be true; roland modules might be compatible with other brand pads, sometimes with limited connect-ability/features...but is the opposite true?

Can i buy my variation of Vdrum pads and cymbals and have them communicate with say, another module that has individual inputs for each pad? Are the out's on Vdrum's standard 1/4" mono (or stereo when dual-triggered?). This is my main question. You can't yell at me because i searched.

A broader variation of the question: are electronic drum pads all the same mechanically, in that, you can hook up any pad with any module? or do some companies brand you with their version of connectivity?

THANK YOU

You have to be more specific. General answer could be "yes", but there are (many) exceptions ...
    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

i'm unsure of what you'd like me to be more specific on...

I'm researching...
      PDX-100
      PD-85
      VH-11
      CY-12C / CY-13R
      and KD-120

If I buy these parts will a 1/4" stereo cord produced a sound when each are connected to...an Alesis DM10 Drum Module?

or better yet..if i just buy the td-15kv can i swap out the module for (for example) an Alesis DM10 Drum Module which has singular inputs for each trigger/pad (not the bundled wiring required to connect to Roland's TD-11 module, for example.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, edmossward!

The big stumbling block in pretty much any case will be the hihat controller. There is downright 'nada' compatibility between the hihat-controller by 'brand X' and a module by 'brand Y'.

More specifically:
        • Practically all Alesis units on the lower-end use a 'switch controller' pedal for their hihat.
        • Roland and Yamaha both use 'variable controller' pedals for their modules. But they are NOT interchangeable, because the Roland controllers have reversed polarity, I believe.
        • 2Box has its own optical, proprietary hihat system, which uses a hall effects sensor and a magnet.

Regarding the pads:

As long as you confine yourself to using single-zone pads, ie. head-zone only, you should be relatively trouble-free.
        The problems begin to appear once you add in the second (rim-) zone: Yamaha uses rim-switches for the second (and third) zones, while Roland uses piezo/piezo pads all around, apart from the cymbals.

For even more compatibility blah, look here for 'Yamaha module with Roland pads'....

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...-compatibility

....and '2box module with Yamaha/Roland pads'.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/pe...648#post972648

That should summarize the matter pretty neatly...

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• edmossward
          edmossward commented
          Editing a comment
          damn right it summarized the matter pretty neatly. thanks hairmetal
      Working...
      X