Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-30: live sound quality VS "soundcheck" playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-30: live sound quality VS "soundcheck" playback

Is it normal for the module's "soundcheck" playback to sound much better than the sound quality when actually playing? Compared to the soundcheck playback, the actual playing sounds like cheap toy drums.
    Last edited by bud7h4; 02-19-14, 10:28 PM.
    TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
    VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

They should be identical. It sounds more like an engineer issue and not EQing the room properly so when it fills up, the sound change is minimal.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Alan, I'm refering to the "soundcheck" feature in the module which plays back a short pattern on the selected drum kit. Those playback sounds are the sound quality I expected when I bought this module, however when I actually play the pads, it's a different story. Whether it's the default kits or VEX Essentials ROCK kits, the sound is thin and tinny and quite pathetic.

I even did a restore to defaults a few weeks ago thinking maybe my settings were out of wack. But since the day I bought this every single kit is absolutely useless. They sound nothing like all those demo videos with big punchy toms and tight crisp cymbals. Mine all sound like plastic drums and sheet metal cymbals. Just rubbish. However, when listening to each kit with the "soundcheck" they sound more like you would expect.
      Last edited by bud7h4; 02-19-14, 10:35 PM.
      VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Comment

Hi Bud,
        I think I get what you're saying. With my former TD-15, the demo tracks sounded awesome, but my performances just lacked the same quality sounds and punch. It seemed to me to be a dynamics thing. Maybe Alan has more insight.
        Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Those tracks were recorded by people (Michael Shack?) that play extremely adamant and with strength. I play hard, and those tracks even give me a run for my money. However, why don't you just record a pattern of YOURSELF to play at sound check? That's what I do. I do this because I'm a very dynamic player, and there are times when I need to know both loud and soft patterns are going to come through properly. I usually have the rest of the band play with my recording while I go check the mix myself.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My thread title was very poorly worded and the thread editor won't let me change the title. I didn't mean "live" sound as in playing a gig, I was just refering to hitting the pads vs listening to the module's playback version of the kit. I'll start a new thread on my sound quality issues. I can't over stress how poor my TD30 sounds. There is definately something amiss.

Comment

Here's something that definitely matters....

Those built-in sound-checks play back at 100% volume. Usually MUCH louder than your own playback. It is well documented that we perceive "louder" sounds as "better."

Another thing that comes to mind (and has already been brought up) is that the built in sound-checks have TONS of dynamics. It could be that you haven't setup your pads/module to eek out all of the dynamics that are actually available. Find the set-up thread and follow it (if you haven't already).
              eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
              aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
              TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

I haven't read the set up thread, I'll do that now. Even after loading a VEX pack, all that really gave me was 50 new kit names, not improved sounds. They all sound just as weak and lifeless as my stock kits, so I know there's something wrong here.
                Last edited by bud7h4; 02-20-14, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Check your pad setup. Ensure your chosen pads are correct. If they are, and you've tightened the heads as per Roland's instructions, then, you probably have some pad tweaking to do. I did a lot of tweaking to many of my pads when I first set the 30 up. Also, you shouldn't be expecting the kit to work as an "amplifier" to your playing. You still have to execute dynamic playing to get dynamic results.
                  Alan

Comment

Alan, the pads are all set to the correct type. Also just did another factory reset and then set them again. Still sounds absolutely nothing like it should. Sounds like it's EQ'd with all sliders dragged to negative 10. It's not just flat, it's beyond flat. Whether it's the factory kits or VEX. The toms in particular sound like a scaled down kid's toy drum kit. Only the kick and snare sounds have any bass at all. All of the silly electronic voices (all the beebs, claps, noises, etc etc) sound correct, as do most of the exotic kits. The factory "Africa" kit sounds amazing. Big, punchy, wonderful tone.

I'm starting my acoustic to e conversion tomorrow, maybe the new triggers will make a difference.

Comment

Can you post a video? How are you monitoring?
                      Alan

Comment

I'll try to borrow a camcorder this evening. I monitor through ATH-M50 headphones and KB4 amp.

Comment

Can't you connect the output from the TD-30 to an audio recorder/computer and just record the issue so we can all hear it?

Video won't really help here, especially if the cameras onboard mic is where we're getting the sound from.

Just record the Sound Check and then yourself playing so we can hear the difference.

Comment

• Alan VEX
                            Alan VEX commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I wanted to see video to rule out playing/setup issues.

Also, I forgot t say....

How do the voices sound if you hit the "Preview" button on the module?

That button is velocity sensitive but will ramp up to the higher levels with less force required than the actual trigger pads; how do the sounds compare between hitting the Preview button vs hitting a trigger pad?

Comment

Jammers, yes the preview sounds the same as the pads. However after some EQing (somewhat eliminated the very thin midrange tone) and matching my pad configuration (toms) to the VEX kits I'm much happier with the sound. The main thing is I'm no longer getting a Tom #3 sound for my floor tom which should be 4 or even 5. My sound is still nowhere near as good as the VEX sample clips, or Roland demo videos, or TD-30 youtube videos I've watched, but it could very well be my headphones. I'm not sure about that though because the kit playback sounds of the "soundcheck" and "preview" features do sound like they should through these same headphones.

Comment

Working...
                            X