Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good response on VH-12 hi-hat with TD-20X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good response on VH-12 hi-hat with TD-20X

Hello fellow drummers,
    I am fighting a dillemma. I bought a TD-20X and purchased a VH-12 hi-hat specially for using with the module (I play otherwise on Hart Dynamics Pro).
    No matter what settings I adjust, I just can't get natural response on the hi-hat when "spashing" the hi-hat and using foot.
    It is also not precise when I play with stick and open hi-hat. the sounds appear to be rather random some time and the feeling is far from natural.

I thought this was the second best combination before TD-30 and new hi-hat, but I may be wrong?

Perhaps you could share settings or tricks I could try out to get the best out of my setup?

Thanks in advance
    D

When using the VH-12 or VH-13 on a TD-30 module, you have to calibrate the offset before it will work correctly.

I've never used a TD-20 but I assume it would need a similar calibration?

Comment

I had the VH-12 with my TD-12 and you have to set it up properly in order to get it to play well with the module, Follow the directions in your manual first and then tweak from there.

On a side note I ended up getting ride of mine and going with a VH-11 because of poor VST response as that's all I play, I found the VH-11 to play better and be a bit more adjustable for VST's, One of the problems the VH-12 gave me that I could not adjust was, when playing hard with semi open hats I was getting sounds from half open to full closed sounds alternating , It was like playing a light switch although my foot position was the same, the hats were canceling out on me, I don't get that with VH-11 as its just one cymbal.

Rick
      Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
      Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
      Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Thanks for the posts.
        I didn't have time to work on the VH-12 settings before now.
        Although I beleive I have managed to tune the settings as much as I could, I still struggle with the hi-hat.
        The problem which I experience now is that when I play half-open hi-hat together with Kick, some times the sound of hi-hat dissappears. This is very frustrating and I can't figure out whether this relates to general sensitivity or other settings, zones on the hi-hat or simply some hw failure I have.
        The hi-hat cymbals work otherwise pretty good, but these dissappearing strokes start to drive me mad.

Thanks for any suggestions!
        Regards Dennis

Comment

I don't know if this will be useful. I just moded my VH-12. Due to the wire to the variable cct board in the middle breaking twice now I changed it out for a thin headphone like wire which looks more flexible. This also got me thinking on how the hi-hat works and I don't like the bottom one moving. So I removed the big nut on the bottom and then the part that sits on the hi-hat stand comes off. This has a rubber washer that allows all the movement of the bottom hat. I cut another washer about the same thickness from a rubber mat and added both washers and tightened the big nut again. This stopped the bottom cymbal moving freely so not putting strain on the wires. This may also help with anyone who can't get consistent half open sounds. Simple to do so maybe worth a try. You can easily revert it. By the way I don't tighten the big nut up with anything but my hands so I can get it off again.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
          X