Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help understanding default Roland MIDI setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding default Roland MIDI setup...

Hi Everyone---I just bought a second-hand TD-9 kit that I won't get for another 5-6 days. In the meantime, I thought I'd start setting up some VST kits for the TD-9 using Battery 3. I know it seems nobody here uses Battery 3 (a Native Instruments percussion sampler), and yes---everyone has recommended Addictive Drums, Superior Drummer, and BFD (which I hope to get eventually!). But for now, Battery 3 is what I have---and it has a VAST and excellent library of percussion sounds (drumkit, world/ethnic, and electronic).

So assuming a Roland drumkit is like most other MIDI percussion controllers, you can assign each pad/trigger in the kit to any MIDI note you choose. Then, to create custom kits/setups, you simply assign sounds/multisamples to the MIDI note of whatever pad/trigger you want to play that sound.

I downloaded the owners manual for the TD-9 module, and after a quick look through, it does not appear to specify what the **default** MIDI note assignments are for each pad/trigger. It does have a "Preset Percussion Set List" which lists MIDI note numbers for all the sounds in the module...but that doesn't tell me what the default pad/trigger setup is.

My goal is to be able to pre-select sounds for a variety of kits from Battery 3 sounds, load those kit sounds into saved Battery 3 kits, and assign the correct MIDI note numbers so that when I connect the TD-9 to my laptop, I'm good to go! (I do realize I'll probably have to tweak velocity levels, curves, velocity switching between samples, etc.---but I'm just trying to get a head-start!)

I may well be going about this the wrong way (or missing something obvious)---if so, please enlighten me! :-)

Thanks,
    Scott

Ok---I found one issue to work around, which is that Roland modules output hi-hat sounds on a variety of MIDI notes...so if I just have 2 or 3 hat sounds in a Battery 3 kit, I might not hear some of the notes I play on the Roland hat. So need to find some kind of solution to that...

Really seems like somewhere there ought to be a chart that shows default (factory) MIDI note assignments for Roland kits...(if not, I'll make one!)

Comment

I've also noticed 2 other techniques people use---which might be easiest---but they depend on actually having your kit (which I don't yet!):
      a) just tap the pad/trigger while turning the dial until you hear the right sound
      b) use MIDI learn function

Comment

Just discovered VDrumLib (a software V-drum librarian). Anyone use this. (I know, search is my friend---I'll use it!) Might be the easy answer to my original question above...

Comment

Usually, the drum-sounds are mapped by the 'General MIDI' (GM) standard, in the following way:
          • (36) C1 - Bass Drum
          • (37) C#1 - Rimshot
          • (38) D1 - Snare Drum
          • (41) F1 - Low Tom 2
          • (42) F#1 - Closed Hi-hat
          • (43) G1 - Low Tom 1
          • (44) G#1 - Pedal Hi-hat
          • (45) A1 - Mid Tom 2
          • (46) A#1 - Open Hi-hat
          • (47) B1 - Mid Tom 1
          • (48) C2 - High Tom 2
          • (49) C#2 - Crash Cymbal 1
          • (50) D2 - High Tom 1
          • (51) D#2 - Ride Cymbal 1
          • (53) F2 - Ride Bell
          • (55) G2 - Splash Cymbal
          • (56) G#2 - Cowbell
          • (57) A2 - Crash Cymbal 2

The introduction-section on p.16 in the TD-9 manual shows the sound-assignments for each trigger input.

HTH
          Last edited by hairmetal-81; 02-09-14, 11:29 AM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks HM---that helps! Page 16 in my PDF manual doesn't show sound assignments (in mine, pg.16 shows "Getting Ready to Play"---how to plug in the cables.) The closest thing I've found so far is this... TD-9_MIDI.png But this chart agrees with what you posted. :-) I'll keep digging through the PDF manual I have... Scott

EDIT: Well, that chart I linked sort of agrees with what you posted, LOL. Not a big deal. I can set up some Battery 3 kits using the GM standard note assignments and see how they work when I get the kit. :-)
            Last edited by SWriverstone; 02-09-14, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Found this chart online for a TD-11KV (I'm guessing the assignments are the same for the TD-9?)
              http://blackish.at/blog/2013/04/v-dr...battery-3.html

Comment

Normally, a GM-assignment is not supposed to change. Most of the drum-modules follow the given standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI#Percussion

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

TD-9 manuals are downloadable. MIDI notes are not likely to be a serious issue since both Battery and the Module are
                  likely configurable.

The things that vary by manufacturer are the hi-hat controller and cymbal choke:
                  Roland outputs the hi-hat pedal on CC4 (continuous controller 4). Some modules can let you choose another CC (1-4).
                  For Cmbal Choke Roland sends it out as aftertouch (polyphonic).

Here is a good article on the cymbal choke:
                  http://www.roland.com/support/articl...-20&id=1831820

So what matters is how Battery handles the HH and Choke functions.
                  Since Roland is more or less the market leader and has been for a while)
                  I am going to guess it can be made to work.
                  Last edited by kurth83; 02-10-14, 01:39 PM.
                  Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
                  Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
                  Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Working...
                  X