Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new to Vdrums- Could use some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new to Vdrums- Could use some help

Hey Guys,

Brand new to Vdrums. Bought an older TD6v with the hope of being able to practice with headphones (first time dad). I'd like to be able to play along to songs through iTunes using a USB to MIDI cable. I've read some things about needing an interface? All I know is that simply plugging in the USB to MIDI isn't working.

Is it even possible to play to songs through itunes with the 6v. I know it's a pretty old unit. Can anyone out there give me a hand? Thanks!-Ryan

iTunes only plays audio not MIDI. Only the newer models have USB Audio/Midi so what you need is a cable to go from your computer's headphone output to the mix-in on the TD6. then you can here the iTunes audio through your module.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

MIDI is not for sending sounds to your computer, but data, which your computer will use to convert into music using a VST sound library. So you need a VST sound library, and a host for your music. Mac or PC have different hosts, Read the VST primer in this forum to learn more about this. If you want to use the sounds of the TD-6 when playing, you will need a TRS cable and a way to input that into your computer. A line in , or a dedicated audio interface, then a simple program to listen and record on your computer, like Audacity. So, depending on your needs, different approaches are available
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Ok, thanks fellas. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in recording anything, would just like to play along to MP3 tracks to practice. I realize now that the MIDI isn't really designed to do this easily. So would the best solution be to run a chord from the computers MIC out to the Roland's MIX In as the first poster suggested? Does anyone else do it this way?

Comment

Yes, headphones out, or just a MP3 player, CD, etc... Run a cable between that and Mix in on your td6 and you can practice with the td6 sounds along your song
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Awesome. Thanks Pervecal. Do you know offhand what type of cable that would require?

Comment

You need a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable i think.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                You need a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable i think.
                Yep!
                Make sure, that's a stereo-plug (...or 'T-R-S') on each end!

HTH
                Greetings from Switzerland,
                - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks everyone! What an awesome website. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                  X