Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Zone Pad for HiHat on a TD3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Zone Pad for HiHat on a TD3?

Hi All,

I'm putting together a "kinda" TD3 kit made up of bits & pieces that I've collected & I need one more pad....

I have so far a KD8, a Koby mesh snare (modified to dual trigger), 3 x PD8, 1 x CY12RC, FD8 & a DIY single trigger "cymbal" pad made from a round "practice" type cymbal & a single piezo..... (I have an old blue rack & all clamps & arms, bass pedal & all the leads) I'm short of a Pad / trigger for the HiHat & looking for a cheap solution... I was thinking about the obvious i.e. a CY5 or another PD8 but it occurs to me that there may be nothing to gain by having a dual zone HiHat pad & therefore an older / cheaper PD6 might do the job? I have just ried it with my DIY "cymbal" as the striking surface & all seems well - any one know for sure if I will / will not loose any thing by using a PD6 as the HiHat this way?

Thanks,

Baz

PS - between "opportunities" at the moment & may have to part with my TD12, hence looking for something to "get by" on / keep my hand in if push comes to proverbial shove etc hence looking for a cheap option rather than "upgrading" :-(
    TD-15, 4 x Mesh, KD-9, VH-11, 2 x CY12RC, 1 x CY13. Amplification is an SR-Technology "Pocket Rocket" sub & satellite 1400 watt system :-)

At the risk of answering my own question..... since the Tom I/Ps are all single trigger as "head only" (ref Combinations chart) then I could move one of the PD8s across to be the HiHat (which apparently supports rim strikes) & then get a single trigger pad for say, the floor tom - may be a PD6 or dare I say an old Yammy :-)

Baz
    TD-15, 4 x Mesh, KD-9, VH-11, 2 x CY12RC, 1 x CY13. Amplification is an SR-Technology "Pocket Rocket" sub & satellite 1400 watt system :-)

Comment

What you would loose using a PD-6 for the Hi Hat is the Edge zone of the cymbal. The TD-3 supports a dual zone HH cymbal. So you would not get the separate edge sound on the HH, just whatever sound you have assigned to the bow. You would essentially loose half of the HH cymbal inputs capability. It will definitely work with a single zone pad though.
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I would just use a 'bog-standard' cy-5 - I saw one in your signature...!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Yes indeed - on my TD12 I have a CY5 as a splash & I'd like to keep it there too :-) In my "PS" I mentioned I may have to sell the TD12 & keep the TD3 in which case, yes, I would (most likely) put the 12 back to standard with just the 2 x 12RCs, add a 12RC to the TD3 & utilise the TD3 (then with 2 x 12RC) as my only kit till I get a new job :-) Until I actually have to part with the 12 I was trying to get the TD3 up & running as a "5 piece" & without the last pad it's not quite there.

Also, I've just discovered one of the reasons that I couldn't see (hear, actually) why the TD3 needed a dual zone HiHat pad - Same sound assigned to both head & rim Doh! :-) AND the edge sound at that - no wonder it didn't make much difference where I struck the pad - LOL see, I can "drive" the 12 but not the 3 :-)

I'll see if I can "half way house" it with a matching PD8, then I'll have one for the HH & 3 for the toms (now go cat go :-) i.e. not as expensive as another CY5 OR as cheap & cheerful as a PD6 for one of the Toms - keeping a watchful eye on the bay at the mo......

If I'm lucky the job will be like buses (3 come along together :-) so I may get away with selling the 3 & keeping the 12.....

Fingers crossed - Cheers all!

Baz

Comment

Working...
          X