Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Inexpensive PA System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive PA System

I just purchased a used V-Custom kit, and I am very pleased with it. I'm looking to amp it for rehearsals/small gigs, and my wallet is thin. I've looked at the Roland KC series as well as some inexpensive PA systems. I'm looking to spend less than $400.

How does this system look:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/54491

Its an award-winning system that seems to be popular, but I don't know how it will handle the drums. For performance, I'm only playing with two vocalists and an acoustic-electric guitar, so massive amounts of power aren't needed. Also, could this PA system be used as a monitor system if I one day get rich and can afford something bigger?

Thanks.

Theres only one specification that counts when it comes to playing edrums through an amplified system and that specification is : How do I like the way it sounds in the environment it will be used in.
    In other words, you gotta try these things out with your equipment not in the store with a salesmen pumping some CD recording through it because believe me it's not the same as your edrums. Best advice I can give you is to try and rent first if you can. In my city I can rent almost any piece of new equipment and then decide later.
    In my case I needed a system that would be atleast as loud as my acoustics.. this was not easy as you will find out! Start with around 300-400 watts, part of that going to a sub, and you will get way better results.
    Hope that was helpful.

[This message has been edited by Multilin (edited March 30, 2002).]

Comment

I use JBL EON 15's. (powered 2way) Started with one, but got another when I started gigging with the VDrums. 2 handles all the re-enforcement I need for small/medium size venues. XLR inputs for when I need to also use for PA duties. XLR outs for adding a subwoofer in the future or patching into the house system.

2 way eq provides effective tuning of lower frequencies, very useful in taming some of the boomier bass drums.
      VDrums, Expansion module, 2 JBL EON 15's, 482 Sonic Maximizer, Bag End 18" Subwoofer

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. I just took a trip to MARS Music and talked with both a drum guy (who at the time happened to be playing a V-Studio through a KC-500) and a pro audio guy. The drummer said they had blown out several KC series keyboard amps, and although they were ok, they were nothing great. The pro audio dude said the JBL Eon 15 would be a good idea, considering the biamping. Also, he said that any PA system that sold a head and two speakers for around $400 probably wouldn;t be high quality (that's common sense, I would think). They said I can come in and try out all their stuff, which I will (don't like to buy blind).

They have the JBL Eon Powered 15 for $399. Is there anywhere I can get it cheaper? Musician's Friend has it for the same, but neither zzounds nor music123 has it (only the passive one and the Eon G2 series).

Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

Hi... I too am new to this vdrum experience and since my Hart kit is going to take approximately 7 years arrive, I have been trying to pass the time by immersing myself in research, this site and others. I was doing research for sound system as well and came across this:
          http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.as...C6EEABD5062958

Haven't listened to it, but based on the reviews (and the current 50% off price of $200) and a 30 day money back guarantee, it might be worth a look. Hope this helps... let me know what you decide, cuz you are going to be my guinea pig here (insert sly smile here)...
          Using Hart MegaPro with Roland TD8, amped by Roland KC-500

Comment

I agree largely to what Multilin says. Although: not about the number of watts and sub speakers. The output (the number of decbibels measured at 1 metre) is far more important.

Example:
            2 x 200 watt sound system gives you 100 dBa
            2 x 400 watt sound system gives you 103 dBa
            2 x 800 watt sound system gives you 106 dBa

What you see here is that the number of watts double, but not the output.

The JBL EON G2 - for instance - only have a 300 and 100 watt bi-amping system. Not much you may think. But the output is 129 db. Believe me: they make your ears bleeding?

Do you need such an output for going so loud?
            NO. Absolutely not !
            But it neccessary for handling the drums and especially the trancients (frequencies without a real tone like snare buzzing and kick).

About the sub speakers: both Mackie and JBL aprove that they can make 12 and 15 inch speaker with enough low end. The JBL EON G2 even goes to 39 Hz. Enough for drums, I may assume.

About the price. Ever thought of buying a good sound system second hand rather than buying a questionable sound system new?
            Think about it.
            Robert

Comment

Hi gobbledgak

Beware - the EON 15 is NOT the same as the EON G2 15, which is what most of us mean when we talk about the Eon's. The G2 is a lot more speaker, for a lot more money - $699.00 at Musician's friend.

Be sure to check the sound of both, and other speakers before you buy.
              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
                Beware - the EON 15 is NOT the same as the EON G2 15,
                Correct, and there is even a difference between the standard EON 15 and the EON 15 PAK. The latter is more suitable for keyboards and (in a way) for electronic drums. But the EON G2 beats them all.
                Robert

Comment

Originally posted by kreja:
                  Hi... I too am new to this vdrum experience and since my Hart kit is going to take approximately 7 years arrive, I have been trying to pass the time by immersing myself in research, this site and others. I was doing research for sound system as well and came across this:
                  http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.as...C6EEABD5062958

Haven't listened to it, but based on the reviews (and the current 50% off price of $200) and a 30 day money back guarantee, it might be worth a look. Hope this helps... let me know what you decide, cuz you are going to be my guinea pig here (insert sly smile here)...
                  I am currently playing thru this very PA system, for I can't afford a good system as of yet. Somebody hit the nail on the head when they said that you probably wouldn't get much for $200. This Pa by itself wont get it done. It will not handle the lows that will be needed for a good drum sound. I run a peavy mark 3 bass amp with 4-10s and a horn for my lows since I had the amp prior to buying my vdrums. Together it's not a bad combination, but I know it could sound better. $400 used price for the bass amp and $200 for the Kustom. I don't believe you would be satisfied with the kustom pa alone. If you can afford it, go with the good stuff! It will be money saved.

Comment

I've got an appointment at Mars Music this thursday, and they're setting up an Eon 15 (not G2), a KC-300, and a PA system comparible to the afforementioned Kustom systems. I can't afford the G2, and the Eon 15 seems to be the best I can get for my budget. At $400, is there a single piece of equipment better? Also, when I make my small fortune, can I get another Eon 15 and run them in stereo or even get a separate head and run them as passive speakers . . . or should I just upgrade to a G2?

Thanks

Comment

It depends on if you are planning on playing out with this level of speaker.
                      If so, you will be under powered for most applications.
                      I at first had a Roland kc 500, it was handy but it lacked the umph to really drive a band.
                      I was low on funds but thru some coniving and deceit to my wife I was able to buy a JBL G2 and a mackie sub, it is well worth it.
                      I was able to unload the Roland to my keyboardist for 50 bucks less than I paid for it.
                      I haven't tried the Mackie 450, but my decision was that I can have a 15" when not using the sub, it is great and I also use the JBL when going acoustic for a little enhancement with my jazz sized kick live.
                      I just put it next to me by the floor tom and run my akg d112 into it and just crack it enough so I feel the thump. Nice.

All I'm saying is, don't spend the money twice, make the right choice, wait if you have to. Buy the best gear so you are not stuck with gear you have to take a loss on.
                      Good luck.

------------------
                      Jeff, using...
                      td 8,PD-120,
                      pintech pads,gibraltor rack, JBL G2 EON 15 AND Mackie srs-1500, BBE 462 yamaha maple customs, remo jazz kit, buttloads of cymbals... 96 Tahoe,leather.
                      The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Acidbran speaks the truth. (Nice to hear you again lately, Acidbran!)

I too have a Mackie powered sub and a G2. However, my G2 blew its tweeter and the local music store has loaned me a Peavey KC (?) 100 keyboard amp.

I must say, I prefer the Peavey 100 when used this way over the G2!

The high end is better - it uses a regular tweeter as opposed to a horn. (A larger radiator surface makes it better?) The cymbals have never sounded better, and the toms and snare sound fine. It is also much more efficient than the G2, so there is more headroom.

Without the Mackie subwoofer, the system would never cut it, but the Peavey is about 1/2 the price of the G2.

This combo is way beyond what you want to spend now, but eventually you will break down like the rest of us!
                        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I use a Yamaha MS400 and love it. It is Yamahas version of the G2. It has 400 watts just like the G2 (biamped). 15" woofer and horn. Looks alot like the G2. And sounds great. And only $399 Muscians Friend. They are closing them out, they used to cost the same as the G2. I liked it so much I bought another one while they were still cheap and WoW even better. Hope this Helps

Comment

About the yamaha . . . I checked the specs on it, and it seems cool. However, the max SPL is 124.5 db versus the JBL Eon 15p's 127. Now, as technical as that may sound, what does it mean in real application? Am I gonna notice that? Is the yamaha reliable, and is its 400w THAT MUCH better than JBL's 180 (quantity v. quality). Thanks again.

Chris

Comment

OK, just got back from my Mars trip . . .they were of little help. The pro audio manager wanted me to run Cds through the systems, and they wouldn't let me use a Eon 15 cuz they didn't have any on the floor (they were all in boxes). I ain't shelling out $400 for something I've never heard, so I guess it's off to guitar center or something.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X