Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing the Super Unnatural Hot Spot Spikes VS. Losing Positional sensing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing the Super Unnatural Hot Spot Spikes VS. Losing Positional sensing.

OK- so it is obvious now that there is no way to have a positional sensing MASH pad AND avoid the dreadful Super Unnatural Hot Spot (since sensor has to be placed under the head's center- where most traditional, NATURAL snare drum playing is done... ).

There are two options left for drummers who actually want to play in a dynamic human way and not get crazy spikes:

1. Get a MASH pad with A sensor near the edge of the drum and thus lose positional sensing.
    2. Get a pad (Perhaps Yamaha) That is made of rubber instead of MASH and therefore does not have that Piezo right under the center.

I am wondering if the Yamaha SILICONE pad has positional sensing. If yes then that is the ultimate solution for losing the Hot Spot AND having positional.

At any even it is obvious that unless you play hard rock or EDM the choice between losing the hot spot or losing the positional sensing is obvious...i rather not have positional as long as i control my playing and don't get those party pooping spikes...

Again, for loud playing styles it is less of a problem... if you bang that drum hard and steady then i guess your ok( in which case you don't need all this high tech design that is there to provide you with the ability to play musically and dynamic)

However, Let's see you play a ballad or a funk tune and suddenly get this loud ass, out of nowhere hit... pretty damn embarrassing...

All of the solutions iver read on this board are just semi arm twisting solutions and certainly do not provide anything near super natural feeling. They are all big compromises.

What do you all think?

Using: TD-30K With VH13 and PD128 Snare pad Upgrades
    Last edited by Rea; 02-05-14, 09:47 AM.

Well, I have a TD-30KV that gives me no hot spotting issues... and I have positional sensing. So, I'm going to tell you to go back to the drawing board with your trigger settings and get it set up correctly for your playing style.

I think my work is done here.

Comment

No such thing. The hot spot HAS to happen above the piezo. Laws of physics. If you are a hard hitter then its no problem for you, but if you are a dynamic player, its certainly can not behave as a drum. A real drum (im a pro drummer for over 30 years) NEVER jumps in volume when you hit the center. Whatever adjustments that were suggested here are creating compromise in natural drum behavior in a different area. So- since the piezo HAS to react to the hit right above it in an abnormal way compared to a real drum, there is no real way around it. You can not change one part of the equation without altering another.

However i would KILL to be mistaken on this one as there is nothing i want more then to not have this disturbance in the joy of playing.

Would you be kind enough to share your setting for the snare, say on which kit and tell what type of drumming?
      If its metal then obviously its mostly triple forte' anyway, in which case there is really no Hot spot issues. I agree.

Comment

Let me give you a test to do- Play a ballad at relative soft playing. play the snare in the middle- which is where the nice sweet spot of a snare sound lives.
        Play a steady soft 2-4 beat on the snare and record yourself.
        If there are no jumps in the volume then ill eat my hat,
        The thing that happens is that the snare jumps to a different color/tone of a sound snare is if you suddenly hit it hard. Its totally unlike a real drum playing. Now- if you put a comp limiter on it you just reduce the overall dynamic range and limit the AUDIBLE volume but not the abrupt change in Anare color/tone.

Now- if you want me to play OFF center of the head it is completely counter intuitive for a real drummer AND you ge a very different tone then what you want to get since its positional and gives you the tone of an Off center snare. NOT what your looking for. Do you see my point?

Comment

Rea, you can dial down the hot spot dramatically.
          First, it's a MESH head (not MASH, and I'll stop using CAPITAL LETTERS now as well ) and it's the only system that offers positional sensing (PS).
          The sensor has to be in the centre of the mesh head for PS to work.
          PS is determined by the 'half wave amplitude' of the strike on the drum. The module reads the wave form and can determine from its shape how far from the centre you have struck the drum pad.
          Rim sensors are not used in PS (hence a single-zone pad can provide PS, so long as the sensor is centrally mounted).
          As far as the TD-30 goes, there are many tools for dialling out the hotspot, not least of which are the compression settings.
          But you can also play with the head/rim balance and reduce it with that as well (manual P 136, activate the RIM tab on that screen to adjust).
          I'll admit it shouldn't happen at all and Roland should have removed it by now (we're well into the 2nd decade of this technology...) but it can be removed with some knowledge, trial and error.

Comment

Working...
          X