Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File type for USB playback that actually works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File type for USB playback that actually works?

Ok Got a TD 30. Band is writing a song. We recorded a no drums scratch track. Idea is to play the track through a Usb mem stick and record drums back through the mixer to the DAW. Want to do this so the computer is just recording not playing anything. Problem is While the head will playback every other Mp3 on the stick it won't fully recognize the scratch track. I have tried id3 tag editing to v2 which roland is supposed to support. So after reading the manual I tried WAV. Same result. the head shows the file name but has a ? mark in the box with no track length. I've changed the hz, Ive changed the bit rate. I have tried both Microsoft WAV and WAV (NIST Spear). I am at a complete loss and have no idea what this track is missing to be recognized to play.
    I am using audacity as the DAW (ya I know) Lol... I would appreciate any help anyone could offer. Big time! Thanks!

Open your track in Audacity. Check out the sample rate setting for the track. It should be set for 44100 Hz. If it is not 44100, the TD-30 wont recognize the file. Convert your track to 44100 and save it as an mp3. I had this problem a few times with some drumless tracks I downloaded. The conversion worked every time.
    I think my work is done here.

Comment

• Heavymeatal
      Heavymeatal commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm. It was recorded at 48000 but after I read the manual I dropped it down to 44100. saved it as a new file then reopened it. The File is a 44100 hz 24 bit stereo track in the DAW. I am Exporting it to the stick as a WAV (Microsoft)signed 16 Bit PCM. File on the stick is listed as: name. No D cut Type.Wave Sound (.wav) Size: 48.6 MB. Still no go. Same exact result.

Hmm. It was recorded at 48000 but after I read the manual I dropped it down to 44100. saved it as a new file then reopened it. The File is a 44100 hz 24 bit stereo track in the DAW. I am Exporting it to the stick as a WAV (Microsoft)signed 16 Bit PCM. File on the stick is listed as: name. No D cut Type.Wave Sound (.wav) Size: 48.6 MB. Still no go. Same exact result.

Comment

Convert it to an mp3 and don't put any dots or dashes in the name. Just plain text. 44100 Hz.

Comment

• Heavymeatal
        Heavymeatal commented
        Editing a comment
        Too cool Got it figured and you were right. On the bottom of the DAW page there is a setting Project Rate. It was still at 48000hz I had switched the track but not the project. My guess is in export it was converting the file back to 48000hz. Thanks Tommy Been working on this for two days. Kinda find it disappointing that a Free DAW has Higher file capabilities and less proprietary garbage then a 8000.00 dollar drum kit but I might be naive?

• Tommy_D
        Tommy_D commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Roland just tried to make a "standard" that would work around the entire world. Yeah, it kind of sucks to have to convert the track to 44100 from 48000, but I hear absolutely no difference in the sound. Not sure why there are all these different sample rates anyway, but I'm a simple guy. I don't need to listen to flac files, or have the best DAW with 32bit sound and all this other mumbo jumbo.

• Heavymeatal
        Heavymeatal commented
        Editing a comment
        The reason they use 48,000 Hz is this Is just above the average human hearing range so production editing mixed in at a level of 1 hz can be made and therefore would be imperceptible to the ear. If you take a track at 44100hz zoom right in to a see the dots from each sample then take one of those dots and drag it to the top. When you play it you will hear an audible pop. At 48000 it is supposed to be less likely for the average human to hear.

Am I mistaken by assuming that the USB-playback will go out the TD-30's main outputs?
      In that case you would end up with the drums and playback recorded on the same stereo-track, instead of separate tracks. Is this intended?

Here's just a suggestion: If you record your scratch track to Audacity, play it back via headphones, and then record your drums onto a dedicated (stereo-)track inside Audacity, you would have clean and nicely separated audio-tracks! ...which you then could further manipulate by editing and adding effects, and all the fun stuff!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• Heavymeatal
        Heavymeatal commented
        Editing a comment
        You can choose where the USB playback goes. It is possible to choose any 1 or combination of outputs. For instance I can run the track and drums to the headphone jack but only the drums to the master out. this is all fully programmable.

• hairmetal-81
        hairmetal-81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright! So USB playback wouldn't be synced to Audacity in any way then? This *will* make it hard, if you intend to cut/copy/paste parts of certain tracks at mixing stage!

• Heavymeatal
        Heavymeatal commented
        Editing a comment
        The easiest way to explain what and how I'm doing it is with this video. I had to do this video for an assignment. for a production course. Ya it's amateur but I've only been drumming for 7 years self taught so be gentle with the comments. Lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBXyeGYs92Y

One thing I will recommend for recording. Do not record while using the USB as a playback device. I have never had good luck with this. For some reason the sound goes in and out and makes it sound really bad. I'm not sure if the TD-30 can't handle all the information it is trying to process or what, but its just not good. Its best to record just the drums while listening to the song through some other device. Use a splitter, or some other means to send the drums to your headphones at the same time and you are good to go.

Comment

• Heavymeatal
        Heavymeatal commented
        Editing a comment
        The easiest way to explain what and how I'm doing it is with this video. I had to do this video for an assignment. for a production course. Ya it's amateur but I've only been drumming for 7 years self taught so be gentle with the comments. Lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBXyeGYs92Y

This thread reminds me of a pic I saw once online that said something to the effect of:

$8,000 DW Drum set
      $3,000 Guitars & Bass
      $85,000 in studio mics
      $150,000 Mixing console
      $30,000 Pro Tools system

All to record an MP3 to be listened to on $10 iPhone ear buds.

Thought it was so true! 44.1 this, 48 that..I know its kinda stupid if you think about it logically!
      - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
      - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

Found the pic! LOL Its so true
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
        - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

Originally posted by Greg The Groove View Post
          Found the pic! LOL Its so true
          Hehehe.... I think I saw that picture on Gearslutz!

But yeah, I'm with Tommy on this one: Get some other way to pipe audio in/from/through. If your computer can handle it (soundcard-/driver-wise) use Audacity as your playback device!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Working...
          X