Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have good "stock" TD3 drum settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have good "stock" TD3 drum settings?

I've searched far and wide on Google to no avail, so I might as well ask some people who know their stuff about drums!

I have basically a normal Roland TD3 drumset. Mesh PD80R snare, three rubber PD8 toms, a PD8 hi-hat, a CY8 ride and crash, stock Roland hi-hat pedal, and a KD8 kick trigger with a PDP double kick pedal with rubber beaters, although I am looking into cloth beaters because I feel like the rubber beaters may be contributing to my problems. I have used a Pearl single pedal with a cloth beater and it worked considerably better.

My intention is to use this to play Pro mode on Rock Band 3. But since what the game picks up is basically an accurate representation the inputs the TD3 module is receiving, I'm basically just asking for working settings from someone who has or had a similar drum setup to mine, or someone who can explain why my drums are acting up the way they are. They work pretty well audibly with most settings, but the misses and dropped notes are clear when playing the game.

I bought this drumset and module used, and it worked fairly well with the exception of a stray over-hit and dropped note here and there. However, since I was going for perfect runs on the game, I was getting kind of tired of missing when I wasn't missing. I couldn't really figure out the source of the problem since it was sparse and inconsistent, so I decided to reset my TD3 to factory settings. BAD IDEA. Ever since, I have been toying with the settings trying to get it to work even somewhat, but I am having serious issues with crosstalk and dropped notes between my kick trigger and ride cymbal, as well as some overhits and dropped notes on the toms sometimes.

I have gotten the drumset to work sort of well without any of the cymbals hooked up, but I swear as soon as that ride is hooked up all hell breaks loose. I have tried switching my other CY8 in, but it's given me the same problems. Also tried adjusting the threshold and sensitivity on both the kick trigger and the ride cymbal, but the only situation that allows for no overhits on either the ride cymbal or the kick trigger makes the ride cymbal basically unusable (it only registers if I hit it incredibly hard, making even quarter notes risky). The kick trigger doesn't pick up very well, either.

Another issue I have had lately is that when I hit, say, the snare, tom 1, and bass pedal together, one of them will drop. This happens with most combinations of three inputs including the kick trigger. I have tried turning down the sensitivity and thresholds on the affected pads all the way, but they still drop unless I hit them separately. This is what is driving me to reset the TD3 module once again.

I'm going to try to take some time tomorrow to figure out the settings that I used for the drumset minus all the cymbals (so just the kick trigger, snare, and the three toms). If I can get those down, I will post them here. Until then, if anyone has any information or settings they think might work for a normal TD3 drumset like mine, PLEASE feel free to post them. Anything at all is a help.

Thanks!

Hey Martin.

I assume you have the td3 hooked up via midi to the rock band module, then off to your console?

You seem to be having a lot of issues!

- The issue with three pads hit dropping one sounds like a crosstalk setting kicking in - so I would start lookng there to resolve that one. Might also be your Midi hookup failing to register all three at once
    - CY8's causing all hell to break loose - what do you mean here? Everything gets worse? So, you plug a cymbal in and start getting mis-triggers throughout the kit? - again to me sounds like crosstalk. You can rule this out by setting the kit up off the rack, and see what response you get when all pieces are mecanically seperate. You will then either need to fiddle with your crosstallk settings until you can get it perfect, or physically isolate your pads better. I guess that little bit of tolerable crosstalk when just playing becomes unbearable when you are being marked on every note sent via midi.
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

• MartinH
      MartinH commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply!

Yes, you're exactly right. Hooked up with MIDI to the MIDI Pro Adapter (RB module) and then to my console.

I knew I was missing something in my description. I decreased threshold as well crosstalk elimination down to their bare minimums, and used normal to high sensitivity, and was still getting those dropping issues for some reason. This wasn't happening until I really fiddled around with the settings, so hopefully resetting it again will fix that.

The main problem with the CY-8 for the ride is that it was triggered constantly by the bass pedal, even with my best configuration. The only settings that allowed it to work at all without crosstalking with the kick trigger were lower crosstalk elimination numbers on both the ride and kick trigger, and an incredibly high threshold on the ride, so high that only VERY hard hits would make it register. I had similar issues with the crash cymbal as well but nothing anywhere near as prominent.

The only thing that bothers me is that many people have been able to use their e-kits with little to no work, and I think some have used TD-3s as well, but perhaps not because of all the trouble it's seeming to have! I just can't seem to get mine functioning even on a basic level (not even going into tweaking things to perfection like sensitivity). I'd just like everything to pick up and neither drop nor overhit when I hit it with average force, but it's proving to be quite difficult... getting to work on trying to figure out some decent settings right now though, to perhaps provide a little more information for people to work with

Thanks again for the input! I'm going to ensure that crosstalk settings are kept in check. From my experience, the kit is much less prone to dropping notes when the threshold settings are used in lieu of the crosstalk settings, anyway.

Hi Martin. I would try some physical isolation (I.e. setting up the kit parts entirely separate to each other - not attached to the rack) and see if it is crosstalk that is causing your issue. Sounds a bit like you may have a couple of hot cy8 cymbals - they are pretty heavily criticised cymbals (a lot of them seem to have issues)
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

• MartinH
      MartinH commented
      Editing a comment
      I will definitely try that tomorrow, didn't really get the chance to fiddle with anything today but I will update with what happens when I remove everything from the rack and play them separately.
Working...
X