Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HiHat Pedal for a Session Pro / Medeli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiHat Pedal for a Session Pro / Medeli

Hi all, hoping for some help here please.... I have a Session Pro without a HiHat pedal & trying to put something together for a beginner in the family :-) The module has a 3 pole jack & I was thinking the pedal is one of those generic ones in black with the "flame effect" on the foot plate? But don't they normally use a 2 pole / mono jack? I've tried various ways of connecting up an open/close switch but not getting good results. I saw one in pieces on a website & it seemed to have a capacitor in the pedal as well & may 1 or 2 resistors? So... how does it work then? and/or what do I need to get it going please as I don't want to buy one of the above pedals if it won't work... (tried FD-8 & VH-11 too :-( Any help much appreciated! Thanks.....
    TD-15, 4 x Mesh, KD-9, VH-11, 2 x CY12RC, 1 x CY13. Amplification is an SR-Technology "Pocket Rocket" sub & satellite 1400 watt system :-)

No Idea of the answer to this - just bumping in-case someone else does. Sounds like your best bet might be to pick up one of those generic flame hi-hat pedals. Unless you have it sorted? If so, what was the solution?

The Flame ones are certainly what I always see it with - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._SX385_.jpg
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

The generic 'flame' hihat pedals are sold (amongst others) by Thomann, under their 'Millenium' brand.
      They are a non-variable, switch-type controller-pedal, mostly intended for lower-end Alesis modules, which use a 'switch controller' pedal for their hihat, rather than 'variable controller' pedals used by Roland and Yamaha.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_hihat_controller.htm

Roland and Yamaha pedals, by the way, are NOT interchangeable. They are indeed both variable controllers, but the Roland controllers have reversed polarity, I believe.

I can't comment specifically on Medeli units, sorry.

HTH
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-19-13, 05:11 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

TD-15, 4 x Mesh, KD-9, VH-11, 2 x CY12RC, 1 x CY13. Amplification is an SR-Technology "Pocket Rocket" sub & satellite 1400 watt system :-)

Comment

Would be double annoying if not all were the same and you bought one which didn't work. The millenuim drum one on thomman suggests it is just an on/off switch - no middle ground so may not work with your 505. Same goes for the 501 pedal, maybe the 505 is special and has some unique pedal?
          --
          West London, UK.
          TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

If all else fails: Spring for a used complete Roland TD-4 kit! ....it will be a monetary stretch, but you will thank me later!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Just spotted an advert on Amazon uk which says of the DD505 "Hi-Hat Control Pedal With Half Open Feature" - picture looks the same though..... looks like there are (at least) 2 types of pedals out there for these type of kits - the basic switch type for open & closed sounds on a DD502 & some kind of variable type that allows half open (variations in between?) on a DD505 & uses all 3 connections of the TRS / 3 way jack - mmmmm getting closer :-)

Comment

Yeah, certainly sounds more and more likely the 505 has its own, unique and proprietary way of having a half open sound (probably only one rather than graduated).

might turn out to be using the same tech as the 2box hihat!!
                --
                West London, UK.

Comment

It is a bit annoying that every manufacturer does hi hat pedals differently though.
                  --
                  West London, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheddies View Post
                    might turn out to be using the same tech as the 2box hihat!!

NO WAY! - If this happens, hell will freeze over!

Professional quality on one side, chinese Medeli on the other... anything else will be a blatant rip-off!

Comment

TIP to SLEEVE
                      Fully Up = Open Circuit (i.e. greater than 40MOhms)
                      1st Stage = 355KOhms (i.e. light pressure until the reading changed)
                      2nd Stage = 207KOhms
                      3rd Stage = 160KOhms
                      4th Stage = 150KOhms (i.e. fully down)

RING to SLEEVE
                      Fully Up = Open Circuit (i.e. greater than 40MOhms)
                      1st Stage = 206KOhms (i.e. light pressure until the reading changed)
                      2nd Stage = 58KOhms
                      3rd Stage = 11KOhms
                      4thth

Comment

Great write up Baz, I just came across this and it's exactly what I needed as I was just scratching my head over the same issue. I robbed the input board and connectors from a junk 505 unit to fix a faulty 502 and couldn't fathom a method to get any of my four available hh pedals to trigger. Now I know! Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X