Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going from vdrums to Mac...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from vdrums to Mac...how?

Looking for advice on how to go from my vdrums into the Mac. I know I will need something to plug all my drums into, like my TD-20. But my hope is to go direct in to the Mac. There must be some sort of interface with 1/4" jack inputs to plug the drums into, then an out to the Mac. Looking for the best option other than running through my TD-20. I want to travel light!
    Thanks,
    Rand
    ~ Diamond Custom Drum kit, Black Crystal/Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14; Snare-13x5.5; Tom1-10x7; Tom2-12x8; Floor Tom-13x13; Roland cymbals, TD12-Hihat. ~Roland TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST 1, 2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits). GP- c-o-c-k-tail-kit with Aquarian heads, 17" Sabian ride/crash, 14" Sabian hihats, 8" Zildjian splash. ~ Red sunburst Zendrum. ~ Meinl cajon ; assorted congas, percussion instruments.
    --------------
    Life is good!!

What are you trying to accomplish? Recording? Midi? What?
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Hi Alan. I'm really just looking to play the drums using my Mac, BFD3, and have all drums and hihat, cymbals, etc., all working, and running from the drums, into the Mac, and sound output to speakers/PA. This is my first foray into computer driven drum software. I have always used a Roland module. The sounds were just "ok" until I Vexed them with your kits! Totally better. I am now moving into the Mac/BFD3 world, not really certain how what interfaces are needed and where they go in line.
      Thanks!
      Rand.
      ~ Diamond Custom Drum kit, Black Crystal/Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14; Snare-13x5.5; Tom1-10x7; Tom2-12x8; Floor Tom-13x13; Roland cymbals, TD12-Hihat. ~Roland TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST 1, 2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits). GP- c-o-c-k-tail-kit with Aquarian heads, 17" Sabian ride/crash, 14" Sabian hihats, 8" Zildjian splash. ~ Red sunburst Zendrum. ~ Meinl cajon ; assorted congas, percussion instruments.
      --------------
      Life is good!!

Comment

Hi Rand, you just go the same route as you are doing with your zendrum - MIDI out from the module via the interface into the computer. If you don't want to use a module, the only solution I am aware of is the MegaDrum, but it's not plug and play and quite a steep learning curve.
        . digitalDrummer
        Review index

Comment

Hey Allan, Thanks for that. I remember you telling me that in our previous conversation but I was wondering if there was another option other than using the module, and frankly I figured I had bent your ear enough already, lol! So I was wondering, what do others who do not have a module of some sort would be using. Does that mean then, that anyone who uses the PC/Mac option with software has to have a module to run through, be it Roland, Yamaha, 2Box, etc? Seems kind of a waste to me. Perhaps if there is no other choice, some smart techie out there should come up with a decent alternative at a good price break! If that IS the only option, I will just hang on the the TD-20 although it seems a large waste since I won't be using it for its drum effects.
          --------------
          Life is good!!

Comment

MegaDrum seconded!

Then there is - or rather 'will be' the DITI by Alternate Mode, distributed by Dauz; I haven't seen one until now, waiting to get my hands on one!

A third option (although a lesser one, if you are using mesh) is the Alesis Trigger i/o.

And lastly (only available used) is Roland's own TMC-6. Don't know whether that would fit the bill though, as for it's rather limited number of inputs...

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

And yet another option: DSPTrigger. You get the cable from your pad directly into a sound interface that connects via USB or Firewire.

http://audiofront.net/

The thing is though... it won't be as light as your TD20. For each pad (drum or cymbal), you need to assign the number of zones to the number of audio inputs. So, if your snare is 2 zones, you need 2 inputs., etc... so for a kit consisting of snare, 3 toms, kick, HH, 2 cymbals and a ride, you would need around 12 inputs or more. Most smaller 1U audio interfaces have 8 inputs. So you need 2 interfaces.

Then, you'll need a pretty fast computer to handle all those audio inputs in real time, and translating them into MIDI notes for your VST.

For a whole kit, using the module and sending MIDI to your iMac is probably the best option. If you didn't already have a module, then a MegaDrum would be great, but you already have a TD20, and you only need to buy a MIDI-2-USB cable (about $50) or a small interface with MIDI (about $150).
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

http://audiofront.net/

The thing is though... it won't be as light as your TD20. For each pad (drum or cymbal), you need to assign the number of zones to the number of audio inputs. So, if your snare is 2 zones, you need 2 inputs., etc... so for a kit consisting of snare, 3 toms, kick, HH, 2 cymbals and a ride, you would need around 12 inputs or more. Most smaller 1U audio interfaces have 8 inputs. So you need 2 interfaces.

Interesting option!

I would like to add to this, that if you need a whole lot of inputs:

1. An interface with one or two ADAT inputs in combination with external 8-channel ADAT A/D-converters will give you 16 to 30 input channels.

2. MADI-Interfaces are the newest trend currently. WIth the appropriate MADI-A/D converters, the highest number of currently possible input-channels can be achieved.

Over an USB2 connection, something like the compact 'RME MADIface USB' offers a whooping 64 channels - and its bigger brother, the 'MADIface XT', triples this figure (3x 64 & analog) for 196 channels maximum!

Expensive as... but if you use this for something like DSPTrigger, you don't have to worry about pad-inputs anymore!
                Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-05-13, 08:31 AM. Reason: spell check

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Good information guys. I am curious what others use. Those that have vdrums, whether Roland, Yamaha, etc., or DIY A to E. I actually still have my Roland TDW-10 which was sold but the buyer backed out. So I have several options, but I don't think everyone buys a module from Roland, Yamaha, etc., just to go from their kit to a pc, do they?
                  I also own an SM Pro Audio Q-ADAT analog to ADAT converter, with 8 TPS inputs(previously used for recording my vdrums direct into a mixing board, for separate signals for each drum/hihat/cym). I think that might work as well.Thoughts??
                  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Analog_to.html
                  Rand
                  --------------
                  Life is good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randtor View Post
                    So I have several options, but I don't think everyone buys a module from Roland, Yamaha, etc., just to go from their kit to a pc, do they?
                    Well, some have bought a certain module to be able to go the other way around - from pc to their kit - so they can switch off the pc when they're sitting at their kit live!

I also own an SM Pro Audio Q-ADAT analog to ADAT converter, with 8 TPS inputs(...). I think that might work as well.Thoughts??
                    Yep! The Q-ADAT will expand your input-count by 8 channels.

The question is though, what interface do you connect it to?
                    How did you connect it previously?

HTH

Comment

• Randtor
                      Randtor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ran the cables from my drums (kick, snare, 2 tom toms, 1 floor tom, hihat, ride cymbal, crash cymbal) to the Q-Dat, then from there via optical cable directly to the board. Unfotunately not all interfaces have the optical cable ability. The mixing board we used at the time did.
                      This was one of the main reasons I never went the software/pc route years ago. It was so damn confusing, there were so few options and you had to chain and cobble everything together to get it to work. The more connections you have the greater chance of failure.
                      So I think my best option still appears to be using the Roland TDW-10 or -20. It sure would make it the easiest route!
                      Thanks for the help and opinions, much appreciated.
                      Rand

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post

Well, some have bought a certain module to be able to go the other way around - from pc to their kit - so they can switch off the pc when they're sitting at their kit live!

HTH
                    I don't think we need to be cryptic. It's much more helpful if you actually name the module. This is an agnostic forum.
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post

I don't think we need to be cryptic. It's much more helpful if you actually name the module. This is an agnostic forum.
                      Okay! Let's call a spade a spade, then: 2box it is!
                      I tried and wanted to be polite, so to not step on any toes!

PS:
                      Let's hope that the forum is agnostic, that's why I feel so well in here - This a comfy place!
                      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-05-13, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randtor View Post
                        I ran the cables from my drums (kick, snare, 2 tom toms, 1 floor tom, hihat, ride cymbal, crash cymbal) to the Q-Dat, then from there via optical cable directly to the board. Unfotunately not all interfaces have the optical cable ability. The mixing board we used at the time did.
                        This was one of the main reasons I never went the software/pc route years ago. It was so damn confusing, there were so few options and you had to chain and cobble everything together to get it to work. The more connections you have the greater chance of failure.
                        So I think my best option still appears to be using the Roland TDW-10 or -20. It sure would make it the easiest route!
                        Thanks for the help and opinions, much appreciated.
                        Rand

So, you don't have access to that board anymore, then?

A few choices: Either get yourself a dedicated Audio-Interface with an optical input (otherwise you can't really put to use the Q-ADAT anymore) or you get yourself one of the TMI's that we have listed above.

HTH

Comment

+1 on the megadrum

Comment

I have been checking out the megadrum website, that is exactly what I am talking about. Megadrum fits the bill and the owner/inventor has a website filled with great information. It also looks like you talk right with him for support. It just seems like this is a good solution.

Thanks all,
                            Rand
                            --------------
                            Life is good!!

Comment

Working...
                            X