Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tambourine roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tambourine roll

We are performing Dishwalla's Counting Blue Cars. A tambourine is used through the course of the song and I use the HH bell to play the basic tambourine.

At the very end of the song (about the 4:15 mark), the tambourine is sustained (shake/roll?) for about 4 seconds. Is there a way for me to recreate that using my TD-15K module? Kind of like the vibra-slap.

Is there something in the SFX, ambience or equ portions to manipulate this. Honestly, I've not played with that area at all. Not even sure they are relevant to this.

I've tried just playing it out physically with 32nd notes, but it doesn't come close to sounding the same. It sounds very hard edge vs. the soft roll and fade.
    Last edited by Macarina; 11-10-13, 03:38 PM.

A couple of ways you can approach this:

The simplest thing to do really, would be to play a roll on the hihat-bell with both hands, similar to a cymbal-swell.

With more technical proficiency, you maybe could employ a 'one-handed roll', ā la Johnny Rabb. Or assign the tambourine-sound on a dedicated pad, and do the one-handed roll there...

Lastly, if you have one available, you could go the route of 'technical devices' - like a multipad with sampling-capability - and sample your own tabourine roll to be fired with a hit of your stick!

...just a couple of suggestions! HTH
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

You'd need to remove a lot of the attack portion of the sample to get it to sound realisticc, so no, not possible.

Comment

I remember there was either a tambourine roll, or a shaker roll that I used alot on the Octapad. I wanted to use this same sound, and I dont think it is on the TD30 unfortunately. I used to like to use that roll on outros at the end of some ballads. You would think they would load every single percussion sound known to mankind from all the other modules and Roland pads on the TD30 flagship. As a matter of fact, I also liked the way the tree chimes sounded on the Octapad v.s. the TD30.
        - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
        - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

Originally posted by Greg The Groove View Post
          I remember there was either a tambourine roll, or a shaker roll that I used alot on the Octapad. I wanted to use this same sound, and I dont think it is on the TD30 unfortunately. I used to like to use that roll on outros at the end of some ballads. You would think they would load every single percussion sound known to mankind from all the other modules and Roland pads on the TD30 flagship. As a matter of fact, I also liked the way the tree chimes sounded on the Octapad v.s. the TD30.
          In your case since you added the 2Box module .... you are not limited to onboard sounds. Tambourines, yeah, EZX Percussion has 10 of them and each one has a tambourine Crescendo articulation available. So with SDSE it is no problem to build those tambourines into 2Box dsnds. J
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

In your case since you added the 2Box module .... you are not limited to onboard sounds. Tambourines, yeah, EZX Percussion has 10 of them and each one has a tambourine Crescendo articulation available. So with SDSE it is no problem to build those tambourines into 2Box dsnds. J
            Absolutely true.
            But bear in mind, OP hasn't a 2box yet, just a TD-15!
            Greetings from Switzerland,
            - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I've come to the conclusion... with my setup, it can only really be accomplished
              as hairmetal suggested and just tackle it by the stick roll

Comment

Working...
              X