Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-10: Pros and Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10: Pros and Cons

I didn't really know where to post this one - here, in "Products" or in "General" - but this is where I would have looked first.

This forum is quite amazing, with enough knowledge floating around to write the heftiest manual, but, in my opinion, there's one thing missing: a sort of summary for someone who wants to buy a TD-10, 8 or whatever. Sure, there's good advice to be had in a thousand enlightening posts, but once you have finally gotten those thousands together, time is of the essence. So, let's hear it for the TD-10 plus whatever you need to put a decent set together:

Pros:
    No matter what people tell you, this is the best set for your living room - if that's what you're after. If you don't use the KD-7 Kick Trigger, you're relatively safe as well - neighbours downstairs are not likely to kill you.
    The sounds are good to great, there are lots to choose from and enough good samples to satisfy everyone. Once you have one good kit set up, you perhaps will, like me, wonder what you need all 49 (or more) others for.
    The pads, for snare, toms and cymbals, are pretty darn close to the real thing. Of course they can never emulate an acoustic set, but Roland's engineers have done a fine job.
    The standard settings are good and let you get started right away. Power, headphones ... drum.
    The user interface is just that - one for users who don't want to take a course in engineering to work the electronics.
    By now there's quite a lot of hardware to choose from. If you don't have that much space, take the smaller pads (Pad 80, for example) and a different stand.
    The thing looks more like a real set than past contraptions which looked like a collection of kiddie plates.
    Into playing for (not with!) yourself? Hook up a CD-Player to the mix-in, turn up the volume ... Bingo. Buy yourself some decent playalongs (Dave Weckl, for example) or pop in your favorite CD ... jam.
    In comparison to ddrum and Yamaha I found the Roland TD-10 to be more user-friendly (for home use), more quiet (!) and a lot easier to set up. Not only a matter of taste, I think.
    So far, the TD-10 has been updated several times, expanding the capapbilities of the soft- and hardware. You're spending a lot of money, but you're also spending it well.
    The MIDI-capabilities of the TD-10 open a whole world of additional possibilities to the user. Interface with a computer, trigger your grandmother's loud snore, etc. Limitless possibilities.
    You have various possibilities to save any changes you have made. Days and days of work programming and fine-tuning a set will not be lost. And, do backup once in a while!

Cons:
    Some parts are outrageously priced. Aside from the TD-10 itself, this goes for just about every part of the set. But then again, you don't get a Big Mac for three cents either.
    The stand (MDS-10) is good enough for at home (and looks cool), but forget about taking it on the road. Go for Gibraltar (also has its donwside) or others. And having to take the rack apart once in a while can be a real (!) drag.
    If you want to attach more than one TD-10 setup to one stand, forget it. You need to separate them because there is absolutely no way you can get a grip on crosstalk. One TD-10 does not know that the other one is there, whereas one can recognizes itself and its own parts to eliminate crosstalk. I bought separate double-cymbal stands to which the Pad 80s, for example, can be attached without problems. Solved the problem and looks cool, too.
    Some of the new V-Cymbals have been said to be problematic in regard to sensitivity. Mine are fine.
    You need to adjust your way of playing to the pads, etc. and some people have complained about finding it difficult returning to an acoustic set ("Lost some of my chops, etc."). Not a problem I've had, but ...

Hell, I can't think of any more. One of my pads has dropped out once in a while but has gotten used to me now and doesn't act up anymore, I kicked the **** out of my first bassdrum skin (old pedal ... switched to DW 5000 and ... no more problems). That's it.

I know this sounds like I work for Roland and that I'm giving you a summary of the catalogue praise, but I've had my set for a year now and am happier than I was when I bought it (That time, when I had finished setting it up, I just sat behind it for more than an hour looking at it ... says all). The thing keeps getting better every day as I learn and begin to understand the possibilities and at the moment the only thing I'm afraid of is that Roland will construct some totally awesome new set which is virtually incompatible with the stuff I have now. To have to spend that kind of money again would not be possible for me.

Well, let's hear what you guys have to say.
    My equipment:
    :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
    :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
    :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
    :: 1x FD-7
    :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
    :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
    :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
    :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...
Working...
X