Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 Mix-In from Monitor Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 Mix-In from Monitor Source

This probably relates to the other recent post on TD-8 Mix-In problems only with a different twist. I like to monitor during gigs with headphones and thought I could plug my monitor (band-mix) directly into the TD-8....not so. Sound in one ear...duuhh, and crackles with volume from the mix.

Solution. Run your monitor source into an Amp that has a monitor-in feature (i.e. KC-500) then use a "stereo" cable from the headphone out on the Amp to the mix-in on the TD-8. Adjust the Amp headphone volume to a comfortable level, then balance your mix and kit volume on the TD-8 as desired.

Solution #2... If you don't like to haul around an AMP, an inexpensive and "lite" solution is the "Rolls" PM50S Personal Monitor Amp, about $40. at G.C. It's about 4" square and fit's in your gig bag. Same hook-up, same results.

I ran a stereo cord out of the band mixer (headphone out) into the mixin of the TD10. Worked perfectly. I put the headphone out volume from the band mixer at 12 0'clock and ran my mixin volume where it was comfortable. Can't see why the TD8 wouldn't work the same way. I think the mixin jack expects a stereo plug to access both left and right. Much easier than hauling around and setting up more equipment.

Jay
    jg52

Comment

my band has a huge mixer, i use aux3, then i add the instruments to the mix by adding them to aux3.this way you don't get blairing guitars or vocals. this is a mono channel, i use a mono to stereo adapter at my module.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill:
        I like to monitor during gigs with headphones and thought I could plug my monitor (band-mix) directly into the TD-8....
        Correct me, if I'm wrong here, but isn't there a problem with doing this? ie. The sound you are running in to your "mix in" port on the TD-8 ends up going straight back out of the "master out" along with your drum sounds?

I too would like to monitor something via the mix in port, but I don't want it being blared out of my master outs and reamplified through the PA again...!

I hope I'm missing something here... :-)

Comment

No, not if You first change the "mix in" output parameter to phones only.

Comment

The only problem that I have had with using the mix in from a main mix off the board is that then the drums are coming from the internal td-10 mix to the phones out and through the mix in with the rest of everything else. Drums are TOO LOUD (if that's a possibility <g>) in the mix.

Of course, using the aux method would work because you could just take the drums put of that aux, but I don't have the luxury of multiple aux's on the band board.

I just run a cable from the mixer to phones and use the house mix. We mix from stage anyway.

redbrick
            My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
              No, not if You first change the "mix in" output parameter to phones only.
              That's a relief.... I hadn't discovered that setting yet... :-) How do I access it?

[This message has been edited by wincent (edited January 06, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by wincent:
                How do I access it?
                On the TD-10, it's Settings, CTRL, Option, Mix In Output, Phones Only. Maybe it's the same or similar for the TD-8.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I'm not sure on the TD-8 myself either?

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                    On the TD-10, it's Settings, CTRL, Option, Mix In Output, Phones Only. Maybe it's the same or similar for the TD-8.
                    Nope... no settings there on the TD-8. Perhaps this is another "victory" to chalk up for the TD10/TDW1? :

Comment

no the TD8 doesnt have thats feature, for recording i use one of the aux from the desk for my headphones and dont worry about the mix in, you can use mix in if you only use the DIR output from the TD8, the mix in doesnt go out the DIR output.

Comment

Working...
                      X