Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Build your own . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build your own . . .

While looking at the Best Buy ad in the paper today, the thought of building my own woofer cabinet came to me. I have no real knowledge of this endeavor, so I was wondering if anyone else knew how this might be done? I saw a pair of 12", 300-watt woofers for about $100, and I thought that it may be possible. If so . . .

1) What could I use to power it?
    2) What type of connections would I need to send the signal?
    3) What materials would I need to build a cabinet for them?

It was just a thought . . . I don't know how much work/$ it would be in the end.

Thanks,
    Chris

You were probably looking at subwoofers. These are made to cover the extreme low-end of the sonic spectrum. Comonly used in car and home stereo systems. These are usually placed in a tuned box (enclosure) to give a frequency response below 50 to 100 Hz.

That being said, you would also have to cover the mid-bass, midrange, and treble ranges with seperate speakers. Would this be in addition to another amplifier/speaker system or everything built from scratch?

Building a speaker cabinet is a fairly precise project. A lot of math and planning goes into a box and it is a lot of work.
    here are a couple of links:
    http://www.termpro.com/articles/buildbox.html http://www.audua.com/Speaker/Project...r%20Select.htm

Usually a full range driver (speaker) is used in a sound reproduction system. A horn is added to capture the extreme high freq. produced.

The verdict? This is not really a project until you learn more about speakers, their purpose and their design. Buy an amp. Everytime I go to build something, I usually end up spending more time and money then what I could have bought it for. Spend your time playing drums! It's more fun and less wasteful.

Comment

Working...
    X