Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-5, TD-6, and MIDI Note Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-5, TD-6, and MIDI Note Numbers

Greetings, all. Questions and concerns.

I recently acquired a Roland Trap Set(TD-5) for the purposes of triggering an external sampler. I have since learned that the MIDI note numbers on the module's trigger inputs are hard-wired-- unchangable. Now, it seems I have to buy a new module. I have my eye on a used TD-6. My question is this: does the -6 suffer from the same problem, or can I change the note numbers to correspond to what I want to trigger? If not, then what does the vdrums.com world recommend?

Thanks.

P.S. just as a brief aside, what do you think I should do with my TD-5? See if I can get a trade-in towards the -6? Keep it as a back-up? I'd like your thoughts. Thanks again.

The TD-6 is great in this regard!
    You can have a different Kit note assignment for every patch.
    This ability is what makes the 6 different from the rest.
    I don't believe I imagined this, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
    G

Comment

I'm not sure about that. I have my inputs maxxed on my td-6, when I change the note number of a pad, It changes it on every kit. You can assign any patch to a pad inside a kit. But I think the note number is set on the input and that changes it globally. Otherwise, If you were changing kits in the middle of a song, how would you prevent your kick sounding like a gong or a birdwhistle?

Comment

If I were you, I would consider trying to sell the whole set in the local newspaper and get something with a little better feel or to upgrade it piece at a time. Those pd-5 pads are horrible. The reason I say get rid of the set is you could probably get more for selling the set than just getting $50 for the brain from ebay or something. You could go with pintech pads or that new low end hart kit if you are trying to stay low budget. The td-6 is definately a great brain for the price.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by animal:
          when I change the note number of a pad, It changes it on every kit. You can assign any patch to a pad inside a kit. But I think the note number is set on the input and that changes it globally.

Isn't this the same problem that I had on the -5? a note number being permanent inside a trigger input?

Comment

I'm almost sure this is right, dang I wish I had my manual here to check.
            That is a drag about the td5.
            The pd-5 pads would be ok if you moved the sensor inside of the pad to a better location. Anyone else here rip one apart?
            They are way too noisy for how sensitive they are.
            Someone got their manual handy?
            G

Comment

The Roland TD-7 has the ability to have different MIDI note assignments for triggers on different kits. I use it almost exclusively for this purpose with the TD-10 to program backing sequences and/or additional triggering.

I imagine you could pick one up cheap on e-bay.

DJourg

Comment

I was looking through an issue of Roland User's Group. It had an ad for the TMC-6. It looks like it has settings for assigning note numbers. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaay:
                  Isn't this the same problem that I had on the -5? a note number being permanent inside a trigger input?
                  No, With the td-5 you can't change the note number at all. On the td-6 you can change the note number on a per kit basis (I checked my manual) or by trigger input number. I changed a pad to a splash (note #55) this makes this pad a splash in all sets. I need it for a cross-stick sound on one set. I just changed the sound when I need to change the note number to 37.

I learned something!

Comment

Working...
                  X