Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-5, TD-6, and MIDI Note Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-5, TD-6, and MIDI Note Numbers

Greetings, all. Questions and concerns.

I recently acquired a Roland Trap Set(TD-5) for the purposes of triggering an external sampler. I have since learned that the MIDI note numbers on the module's trigger inputs are hard-wired-- unchangable. Now, it seems I have to buy a new module. I have my eye on a used TD-6. My question is this: does the -6 suffer from the same problem, or can I change the note numbers to correspond to what I want to trigger? If not, then what does the vdrums.com world recommend?

Thanks.

P.S. just as a brief aside, what do you think I should do with my TD-5? See if I can get a trade-in towards the -6? Keep it as a back-up? I'd like your thoughts. Thanks again.

The TD-6 is great in this regard!
    You can have a different Kit note assignment for every patch.
    This ability is what makes the 6 different from the rest.
    I don't believe I imagined this, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
    G

Comment

I'm not sure about that. I have my inputs maxxed on my td-6, when I change the note number of a pad, It changes it on every kit. You can assign any patch to a pad inside a kit. But I think the note number is set on the input and that changes it globally. Otherwise, If you were changing kits in the middle of a song, how would you prevent your kick sounding like a gong or a birdwhistle?

Comment

If I were you, I would consider trying to sell the whole set in the local newspaper and get something with a little better feel or to upgrade it piece at a time. Those pd-5 pads are horrible. The reason I say get rid of the set is you could probably get more for selling the set than just getting $50 for the brain from ebay or something. You could go with pintech pads or that new low end hart kit if you are trying to stay low budget. The td-6 is definately a great brain for the price.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by animal:
          when I change the note number of a pad, It changes it on every kit. You can assign any patch to a pad inside a kit. But I think the note number is set on the input and that changes it globally.

Isn't this the same problem that I had on the -5? a note number being permanent inside a trigger input?

Comment

I'm almost sure this is right, dang I wish I had my manual here to check.
            That is a drag about the td5.
            The pd-5 pads would be ok if you moved the sensor inside of the pad to a better location. Anyone else here rip one apart?
            They are way too noisy for how sensitive they are.
            Someone got their manual handy?
            G

Comment

The Roland TD-7 has the ability to have different MIDI note assignments for triggers on different kits. I use it almost exclusively for this purpose with the TD-10 to program backing sequences and/or additional triggering.

I imagine you could pick one up cheap on e-bay.

DJourg

Comment

I was looking through an issue of Roland User's Group. It had an ad for the TMC-6. It looks like it has settings for assigning note numbers. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaay:
                  Isn't this the same problem that I had on the -5? a note number being permanent inside a trigger input?
                  No, With the td-5 you can't change the note number at all. On the td-6 you can change the note number on a per kit basis (I checked my manual) or by trigger input number. I changed a pad to a splash (note #55) this makes this pad a splash in all sets. I need it for a cross-stick sound on one set. I just changed the sound when I need to change the note number to 37.

I learned something!

Comment

Working...
                  X