Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Sonic Maximizer ROCKS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Maximizer ROCKS!!

I installed my Sonic Maximize 462 last night. That thing ROCKS! Is there anyone out there using a Sonic Maximize, if so can you share the setting you use. I played around with it for 2 hours last nigh and I am very happy with it but I would be interested in how others are using it and how they are adjusting the settings on it.
    V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

I've found the best setting for the BBe process to be between 9:30 and 10:30. Above that it gets pretty harsh to my ears. The low filter I usually set to 12:00. Once in a while, I move that to 1, but not often.

We use the BBe inserted into our Mackie board. It works very well that way, also, especially vocals.

Hope this helps.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jg52 (edited April 06, 2001).]
    jg52

Comment

Hey drumbeat8u,

You came in just in the right time. Actually there has been some discussion about the BBE Sonic Maximizers. Do a search on the matter, in this forum.

As far adjusting the settings. Just play around with it, there is not much to it and that is the cool thing about it Ė 2 channels with 2 knobs for each channel. The harmonic amplification is the Process knob and Lo Contour for the bass frequency. I would recommend setting the both knobs to 12 oíclock and go from there to suit your needs.

If you are not using outboard EQ or a mixer, raise the low frequency by boosting the Lo Contour before any thing else for your kick to get an idea how much headroom you need. The BBE has a good, clean response to the boost, so try it there first before moving to any other piece of gear including the internal EQ of your module.

The list has begun to grow.

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Szvook, Do you turn off the TD10/8 internal effects when you use the sonic max.? This outboard stuff in new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Berry:
          Szvook, Do you turn off the TD10/8 internal effects when you use the sonic max.? This outboard stuff in new to me.
          Yes I do have them all turend off. I donít use the internal effects at all. I have the Lexicon MPX-1 for that.
          Some people have had some bleeding caused by the internal effects components and they preferred not to use them, especially live, yet some people are very happy with them. It depends what application you are using the Vís for.

I did find the internal effects to be bit a weak for my needs (and they did bleed live and caused false triggering in some cases), plus I always preferred to use outboard gear for more of a professional application and response. I would use the outboard gear with any drum module or sampler anyway Ė they give a whole level to any sound source.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

szvook,
            Tell me....What effects are you using on the Lexicon MPX-1? I don't understand how this works.
            Originally posted by szvook:
            Yes I do have them all turend off. I donít use the internal effects at all. I have the Lexicon MPX-1 for that.
            Some people have had some bleeding caused by the internal effects components and they preferred not to use them, especially live, yet some people are very happy with them. It depends what application you are using the Vís for.

I did find the internal effects to be bit a weak for my needs (and they did bleed live and caused false triggering in some cases), plus I always preferred to use outboard gear for more of a professional application and response. I would use the outboard gear with any drum module or sampler anyway Ė they give a whole level to any sound source.

V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

drumbeat8u,

Try these links to get an idea what I mean about effects, http://www.lexicon.com/MPX1/index.html http://www.lexicon.com/MPX1/effects.html http://www.lexicon.com/MPX1/details.html

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

My EBay BBE 462 finally arrived. In a word - AWESOME. Played with it at band practice last night, and let me tell you - its the best $115 I've spent!! The way it brings the toms to the front is just to my liking. the cymbals are alive like never before. I get more punch without cranking the volume. I'm still working out the details, and look forward to using both channels. Trust me folks - you can't go wrong with the BBE. It makes you fall in love with your V's all over again.
                Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

And the list expands once again!!!!!!

Not bad Tom, huh? And just for a nominal investment your Vís have a good upgrade to a realm that they have not seen yet.

Just one other note, it is far fetched but here it goes Ė Imagine what the TOP of the line outboard gear can do to the Vís. That will be my next step. Although I have very good and professional outboard gear (and you donít even need the best to get good results) I will want to get the best that is out here and give the Vís another level to measure against Ė canít wait!

------------------
                  szvook
                  Studio

Comment

Using the on-board effects in my TD-8 live resulted in double triggers from the pads and bleeding of the effects that made the sounds loose clarity through a strong PA.

I always like to push the effects to be able to cover a vast array of musical styles, so I can get techno sounds, industrial, acoustic, etc. So I would push the TD-8ís on-board effects and the results were not to my liking, especially when recording and playing live.

I prefer to use outboard effects/signal processors for my needs, itís the way I was taught and it will stay like that. Even if Roland or anyone else makes a model with better on-board effects, I will still go to my outboard gear to touch up and process the signal. The outboard gear has a wider range to use and that is what I need.

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

I played this past weekend for the first time live with my new 482, and simply put... AWESOME. It made FOH come alive. I run one channel for kick and the other channel for my snare, toms run through compressor, cymbals are only EQ'd at the main board. Szvook....thanks for all your insight concerning outboard gear...past, present and future.

------------------
                      Stu.

Comment

Working...
                      X