Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Midi Bulk Dump - TD-8 - Midi-Ox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi Bulk Dump - TD-8 - Midi-Ox

Equipment:
    TD-8
    Micron PentiumII 350MHz
    Crystal Sound Fusion Sound Card
    Midi Cable
    Midi-Ox

Problem:
    I am able to upload sysex files downloaded from the TDI website into my TD-8. However, I am unable to perform a bulk dump from the TD-8 to the computer.

In Midi-Ox, it shows the soundcard (Crystal Sound Fusion) in the "outputs" section, but only the "Roland MPU-401" in the "inputs" section. When I try to perform the bulk dump, Midi-Ox does not recieve any bytes of data. The TD-8 is semmingly completing the dump properly. Is this an improper setting within Midi-Ox, or perhaps my sound card? I have de-installed and re-installed the sound card, and removed any other joystick drivers.

I have searched endlessly for a similar post, and found nothing. I am open to any suggestion you experts have out there.

Thanks in advance...

------------------
    Pintech Tour Elite
    Roland TD-8 & PM-3
    Gibralter Tour Rack

Someone... Anyone... Please help....

Comment

Hard to say but is your "midi in" in use by any other program?

In that case the input will not show up when you start midi ox.(but it will say so)

// Daniel

[This message has been edited by ddummer (edited April 09, 2002).]
      Check my VSTi project! http://hem.bredband.net/b125831

Comment

AND of course you have connected a midicable
        from the td-8:s midi out to your computers
        midi in (basic but vital)

If it is the SonicFury card then the only
        midi you got is the game port.(or ROLAND MPU401 as the midi part of the game port is more known as)

Then I guess you got the midi cable for
        the game port where you got midi out and midi in.

Since you can dump a midi TO the td-8 then the hardware is working AND the midi in should also work.(since it uses the same address in the driver)

Then it must be something with the cables
        from and to the Td-8.

// Daniel

[This message has been edited by ddummer (edited April 09, 2002).]

Comment

"AND of course you have connected a midicable
          from the td-8:s midi out to your computers
          midi in (basic but vital"

Daniel,
          Yes, I have both the midi in and out, to and from, the TD-8 connected to the joystick port on the sound card. As far as I can tell, no other program is using the midi-in port...

In Midi-Ox it shows the only input being Roland MPU-401. During a bulk dump from the TD-8, no data can be seen flashing on the input status screen. Is the Roland MPU-401 my sound card's "settings", and is that what I should be seeing?

Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by wlkjw (edited April 09, 2002).]

Comment

I had a similar problem doing a bulk dump from the TD-8 into the computer until I made it a one-way connection (TD-8 Out to PC In). Everything was hunky-dory after that......
            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I had a similar problem doing a bulk dump from the TD-8 into the computer until I made it a one-way connection (TD-8 Out to PC In). Everything was hunky-dory after that......

Gave that a shot, even closed all outputs before attempting the bulk dump... no bueno...

Comment

I'm not sure, but can't you switch the setting "MIDI in" and "MIDI-out" On or Off? Maybe the Midi out is set to "Off" in you TD-8.

Groeten,

Peter

------------------
                My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures and listen to our songs)
                My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

In midi ox:

Goto 'midi devices' in the 'option' menu
                  By marking your input device (midi inputs)
                  It will appear in the 'port map objects'
                  menu.

Then you should get some action!

Check the incoming midi data by using the 'monitor input' window.

// Daniel

[This message has been edited by ddummer (edited April 10, 2002).]

Comment

If you are dumping "All" from the TD-8 try just dumping a small file, for instance just 1 drum kit.

I have occasionally had problems with buffer sizes when dumping SySex and you can see whether this is the case by trying a small file.

Good Luck

Kelvin

Comment

I already had the input listed in the mapped section in Midi-Ox. When viewing the monitor-output and midi activity I have the following symptoms:

monitor-output screen - states that both input and output midi ports are open.

midi activity screen - Recieve/Transmit lights flash on the output when uploading a kit into the TD-8, but no lights flash during bulk dump from the TD-8.

When I open the control panel, and send a test control signal, I get RT lights on every port except "Roland MPU-401 input". This seems to go against the theory of a bad cable.

Thanks to those who are attempting to help.
                      Troulbeshooting continues...

Comment

Ok - just confirm the obvious..

After you get the screen which says "Opened MIDI Input, Opened MIDI Output" you click "View", then "SysEX" and you now get the "SysEx View and Scratchpad" opening.

Then you click "SysEx" then "Receive Manual Dump" and you now get a little message box which says "SysEx Received 0 Bytes" and an "OK" button.

Now you go to your TD-8 and perform the Bulk Dump.

Is this what you are doing ?

Regards

Kelvin

Comment

[Is this what you are doing ?[/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly, to the letter.

Last night I bought a new midi cable, just to be sure. Not the problem. I still think it is a computer issue, either software or hardware, not sure which yet.

Comment

I am sorry - I am running out of ideas - do you have any other software (sequencer) or hardware (keyboard) that would normally make use of the MIDI in port ? If so, try this and if you still don't get any action then I would conclude that you have a problem with the soundcard.

Good Luck

Kelvin

Comment

Working...
                            X