Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

vcymbals with Alesis DM5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vcymbals with Alesis DM5

I have two vcymbals now, the 14" crash and the cy-6. I know at least the full crash has two outputs... right? Just like my PD80R snare, I Y cabled out and used two inputs with no problem.. seperate rim and snare. But when trying with either of the v-cymbals I get nothing other than one sound for the whole cymbal, no matter where I hit it. I understand i'll get no position sensing.. but i'm just looking for two seperate sounds. Two triggers.. piezo and FSR, so a stereo out, split it into two monos and it should work.. right? I have to make sure I get this right before I get the ride (either from visu-lite or Roland), because the whole idea is to have the bell seperate than the rest. The specs of what i'm using is a stereo 1/4" adapter to go to miniphono stereo that splits into 2 RCAs and an adapter to switch each seperate RCA mono into a mono 1/4". Thanks everyone!
    Gabe Kangas
    DM5, D4, PD80R, CY-15, CY-6, Visu-lite Ride, DauZ's, Random Pintech stuff, BBE 362.

www.spasticsrecords.com/real-ity

The PD80r is a dual piezo pad, meaning you can split the signal into two mono inputs. Tha Cymbal pad is what is termed a membrane switch pad meaning you can't just split the signal into two parts, you need a special input that reads the FSR part of the voltage differently from the piezo element. Roland invented this to isolate each zone of the pad {rim/center}.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

ahhh I see. So I'd need something like the TMC unit that Roland has came out with (does that do FSR?) to translate that to midi data to send in there. Are there any other TMIs that would take that type of membraine switch or any "hacks" for it? On another question... are visu-lites dual piezo's then... or are any cymbals? thanks!
      Gabe Kangas
      DM5, D4, PD80R, CY-15, CY-6, Visu-lite Ride, DauZ's, Random Pintech stuff, BBE 362.

Comment

Hey man,

I'm thinking about adding two cy-6's for my alesis d4 as extra crashes. How does the cy-6 trigger with your DM-5?

Greetings,
        Pieter

------------------
        My Personal homepage
        MPCman's E-drum Picsite!
        Music was my first love...

Comment

The cy-6 I have trigger just great. I have it mounted as a hihat right now as a temporary solution. I really want one of those visu-lites tho

But go for it, they are pretty cheap now.. they are a little less quality than the newer v-cymbals, and they don't have as much "swing" for realism but are a nice cost effective solution.
          Gabe Kangas

Comment

Originally posted by Real-ity:
            The cy-6 I have trigger just great. I have it mounted as a hihat right now as a temporary solution. I really want one of those visu-lites tho

But go for it, they are pretty cheap now.. they are a little less quality than the newer v-cymbals, and they don't have as much "swing" for realism but are a nice cost effective solution.
            Thanks for the info

------------------
            My Personal homepage
            MPCman's E-drum Picsite!
            Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
            X