Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

cy-6 as hi hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cy-6 as hi hat?

Lots of info here on cy-6 cymbals....most of it appears to be good. My question: anyone have any experience using the cy-6 as hi hat trigger? I am struggling with justifying the $$ for the cy-12h platter (particularly in light of all the problems I've seen reported here) and wondered if a cy-6 platter would do the trick? Ideas? Opinions? As usual, thanks for the input!

My apologies folks. I attempted to search out a thread on cy-6 as hi-hats prior to posting, but apparently did not combine words in the right way. Thus, I got minimal hits. I played around with the words and lo and behold I found the appropriate threads. Again, my apologies for jumping the gun. So, nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by mudyax:
      my apologies for jumping the gun. So, nevermind
      I, and I'm sure numerous others, spent the entire afternoon looking up this information for you. And you come up with this "nevermind" stuff?

Your name is MUD now mister!
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Sorry boingo.....I hope you'll still respect me in the morning

Hey, I was crusing some of the old threads on the hi-hat alternatives. Some of them are going on a year old now, but there was a guy named HolShot who said he was having great luck using the cy-6 on a boom mount. I am definitely intrigued by this concept. HolShot, are you still around? If so, are you still using the cy-6? Do you have a picture of the rig? A recent complaint was that the cy-6 was not designed for continuous bashing and thus would break down pretty soon as a hi-hat trigger. Comments? Opinions? Ideas? I am SOOOOOOOOO confused! Of course, I want to spend less, but can I still do it and obtain a quality hat? I like the vcymbals that I have (except that freekin ride bell sensitivity issue that appears pervasive), but don't know if I like them $219 worth. What up? My kingdom for the "answer!"

signed,
        mudyax, the confused:

Comment

Hey Mudyax what part of VA are you from ?

Comment

Originally posted by mudyax:
            Sorry boingo.....I hope you'll still respect me in the morning

Hey, I was crusing some of the old threads on the hi-hat alternatives. Some of them are going on a year old now, but there was a guy named HolShot who said he was having great luck using the cy-6 on a boom mount. I am definitely intrigued by this concept. HolShot, are you still around? If so, are you still using the cy-6? Do you have a picture of the rig? A recent complaint was that the cy-6 was not designed for continuous bashing and thus would break down pretty soon as a hi-hat trigger. Comments? Opinions? Ideas? I am SOOOOOOOOO confused! Of course, I want to spend less, but can I still do it and obtain a quality hat? I like the vcymbals that I have (except that freekin ride bell sensitivity issue that appears pervasive), but don't know if I like them $219 worth. What up? My kingdom for the "answer!"

signed,
            mudyax, the confused:
            I use the cy-6 for a HH and I like it. I have been using it for over two years with no problems. Here is an old pic of my set.

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/drumd...view=t&.last=1

V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

Hey Drumbeat,

This is great endorsement for sure! There are SO many different experiences represented here (on the cy-6 and numerous other issues) that it makes it difficult to act on them sometimes. But, I've heard from a majority of vdrummers now indicating that the cy-6 is a viable (and affordable) alternative to the cy-12. I do play a fair amount of rock, but I am not a "head banger." So, thrasing the platter to a premature death should not be an issue. I like more finesse in my hi-hat sticking technique (at least where I am capable) . Hey, I really appreciate the pic link. Unfortunately, the link takes me to a restricted site and I cannot see the pic. So, I can't see it. I REALLY would love to see your setup. Can you repost, or send it to me personally ([email protected])? Thanks dude!! And thanks to everyone for helping out!

Comment

Hey drumbeat,

Nevermind. The link works fine now. I noticed some network burping on my end prior to viewing the link....I should have known it was my IT folks screwing things up. They do it often Hey, *****in setup! And very instructive for me. Thanks a bunch for posting it!

Hey, here's a dumb (and unrelated) question, what is the largest trigger on the v-concert/session kits? THanks again!!

Comment

I have been using a CY-6 as a hi-hat for about 2 months with great success. I think it is all in how you mount it. I uesd a standard cymbal mount with a large fender washer underneath and a large curved washer (from an acoustic hh mount) and screwed it down snug enough not to "swing". I don't hit the hh very hard when I play anyway.

I hear a rumor that Pintech may be offering some sort of a new cymbal product that might be of interest!!!
                  I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Thanks Clymore for the endorsement. I think I'm going to order one now. I've found them at zzounds for $77.95 ($4.95 shipping). That's the best I've found thus far. Still waiting to see if dwight at bpmmusic.com can beat this price. Any other sources that might be cheaper? I'm all ears.

Yes, C.jude, I am interested in the max diameter of the pads/head on the v-concert/sessions. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by drumbeat8u:
                      I use the cy-6 for a HH and I like it. I have been using it for over two years with no problems. Here is an old pic of my set.

[URL=http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/drumdeat8u/lst?&.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1]http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/drumdeat8u/lst?&.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1[/ URL]

Nice set btw, question... do you play in an apartment? I noticed the layers of carpet under the set?

Comment

Originally posted by Broch:

Nice set btw, question... do you play in an apartment? I noticed the layers of carpet under the set?

No I have a studio at my house. The carpet was a temporary solution I used to keep my kick from moving away from me when I play. I replaced the carpet with a piece of
                        plexy-glass that I mounted my two kicks and HH peddle too.
                        V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

[/b][/QUOTE]The PD-120s and KD-120 are 12". (PD-100s are 10"). The Vcymbals have the diameters also in their full names (exception being CY-6 is more than 6" diam.). The CY-12H (hi-hat) is 12", the CY-14C (crash) is 14", and the CY-15R (ride) is 15".
                          [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info c.jude. I thought the numbers were indicative of diameter, but was not sure. Wonder why they broke the pattern on the cy-6? Regardless, I am sold on the cy-6 concept for a hi-hat trigger and dwight at bpmmusic.com appears poised to cut me a great deal. So, off I go. THanks again.

ps: If I screwed up the quote, forgive me....I'm new at this

Comment

Just a heads up to all.....I just flushed my acoustic snare drum (with trigger perfect 210-APS trigger) for a pd-120 and I picked up a cy-6 and mounted it on a US$19.99 ProSound (discontinued hardware) lazy hi-hat stand. It works like a charm! I love them both! Don't know why I waited so long. Same with the pd-120. The 12" striking surface (for both snare and hi-hat trigger) seems huge in comparison. Very nice. Already helped my playing. But, of course, now there is much reconfiguring of the kit to be done to accomodate the new gear. But, this is the nature of the edrums beast. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and for pushing me in this direction. Vdrums.com rocks!

Comment

Working...
                            X