Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

cleaning mesh heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning mesh heads

I've read the posts about cleaning the rubber pads but what does everyone use to clean the mesh heads?

thanks

J http://www.junecleavage.com
    TD30KV, SPD-S, SPD-30, RMP-5, Jamhub Greenroom, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Pearl RH-2000 remote HH, CowPaddy, BeatBar, IW Drums Lites, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 8" Splash cymbals.

Mild soap and water. I also use a soft bristle toothbrush for the heavily soiled areas.

Comment

Thanks very much!

J
      TD30KV, SPD-S, SPD-30, RMP-5, Jamhub Greenroom, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Pearl RH-2000 remote HH, CowPaddy, BeatBar, IW Drums Lites, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 8" Splash cymbals.

Comment

Do the heads really get dirty?? I've had my session for about 10 months now, still look like the day I bought them. Am I not playing correctly???

Comment

I play approx. 1 hour every day and more during band rehearsals and gigs, and I get drum tip sized greyish black marks on my mesh heads. I use nylon tip sticks and suspect its a small bit of the rubber from the cymbal pads coming off on the stick tips and then being transferred to the mesh heads. I've had them for about nine months, and they are starting to look worn, but I like that look. Play more. Play harder. Maybe you can produce stick marks too! It's cool.

Comment

For most spots, just spray the mesh with water using the kitchen sink or shower. The mesh seems to be slippery enough that it cleans easily from the water pressure alone. Make sure to dry the mesh completely before putting the head back on, or it will make a very loud noise when struck.
            Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by Tully:
              Do the heads really get dirty??
              Mine get dirty from gigging. Cigarette smoke (not mine) and the occasional drop of beer etc on the heads makes for some dirty heads. Cleaning with mild soapy water seems to work just fine!
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

OxiClean. Dont laugh. This stuff really works. I had the same cigarette smoke problem Steveo experiences. I didnt clean them the night I got home and the stuff got stained on the heads. I tried everything to get it clean. Finally tried the OxiClean and Voila! looks brighter than new.

Comment

Originally posted by Technique:
                  OxiClean. Dont laugh. This stuff really works. I had the same cigarette smoke problem Steveo experiences. I didnt clean them the night I got home and the stuff got stained on the heads. I tried everything to get it clean. Finally tried the OxiClean and Voila! looks brighter than new.

What the heck is going on here? Am I in the Twilight Zone? Let me get this straight... we are discussing laundry detergent and cleaning methods. Tell me, do you guys use fabric softener too? What next? Soap operas threads. Never a dull moment around here.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

No, I find that the fabric softner makes the heads to spongy. However a good dose of fabric brightner will leave the mesh heads looking better than new and sparkly clean.
                    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Tully:
                      Do the heads really get dirty?? I've had my session for about 10 months now, still look like the day I bought them. Am I not playing correctly???
                      Tully! You da man! Don't change your style!

Originally posted by Bagman:
                      I play approx. 1 hour every day and more during band rehearsals and gigs, and I get drum tip sized greyish black marks on my mesh heads. I use nylon tip sticks ...
                      See what happens when y'all don't take my advice and use electric sticks?!!! OK - if you must ...

Originally posted by Boingo:
                      ... What next?
                      Hey! Don't laugh but finger-nail polish remover takes care of everything for me. Yeth it do!

'nuff said,
                      -Marc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
                        quote:
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally posted by Bagman:
                        I play approx. 1 hour every day and more during band rehearsals and gigs, and I get drum tip sized greyish black marks on my mesh heads. I use nylon tip sticks ...
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what happens when y'all don't take my advice and use electric sticks?!!! OK - if you must ...

Hey Marc, what do you mean by electric-sticks????? I'm still looking for what sticks to use on my V-club

DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar:
                          Hey Marc, what do you mean by electric-sticks?????
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I know one thing, you don't want to sneaze on the mesh heads. I have 2 little stains on my snare head that I can't get out. I know it's a little gross, but, we're all brothers and sisters here and I have faith that I won't be made fun of to much. OK. I'll give up a cool point, but, I was recording and didn't want to risk missing a beat to cover my mouth.
                            [email protected]

Comment

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your head with Pepsodent.

Seriously, though, you may think what you have there is an innocuous stain, but, really, it'S NOT!

That microbiologic compendia nasoeruptus will eat through your kit like the molecular acid blood from the Alien. You must deactivate the unicellular flagello-Kevlar matrix as soon as possible. There are only two ways to do this:

1) Immerse the affected drum in the phased-pair antiproton plasma generated by a muon-quenched tunneling boron maser

or

2) insert the drum into a George Foreman grill for thirty minutes on the "Croque Monsieur" setting.

HTH
                              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
                              X