Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V-Drums sampling, better than DDrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Drums sampling, better than DDrums

If I use something like CuBase VST 5 or GigaSampler/GigaStudio to sample my (still to come) V-Custom with a TD8KV, will the sound be comparable to the DDrum 4? Is it hard to do?

I am still a newbie to the whole e-drums thing but I am reading a lot here and learning a lot too!

Thank you in advance,
    Kornalius

Interesting post! So using a computer sampler with a drum module is a hard thing to do then? I am looking for a good (close-to) acoustic sound. I don't think I can buy ddrum's in Montreal/Canada, I haven't seen them anywhere.

Comment

Very interesting post c.jude. I am just about ready to buy a sampler. Could you reccomend a good sampler. I hear alot about this gigasampler. I would not wanna go throgh my pc though, this would have to used live. Surely you have some favorites.

------------------
      -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
      -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Gigasampler needing dedicated hardware is a myth. I run Gigastudio 96 on a Pentium 3/500, and it runs on my Athlon 1.4 with VST simultaneously with no problems.

On the Athlon, with 96 simultaneous voices playing the Gigapiano sampled piano (1 Gigabyte sample size), CPU usage rarely touches 25%. It is one of the most economical software samplers I have seen (Halion- now THAT's a resource hog).

It is dead easy to set up. I use Sonicimplants sample kits and trigger them from my V-Pros. The sound is better than any module I have heard to date. And sample size is unlimited with Gigastudio. All the sonicimplants kits are multisamples across up to five layers.

The application itself is bulletproof and I have never had a crash while playing.

You can also import samples from almost any source.

When I get my new soundcard up and running in VST I can record some mp3s for you.

[This message has been edited by cgrieves (edited March 14, 2002).]

Comment

Does it take a long time to setup GigaSampler with the SonicImplant software and then connect it to the TD8 module? Will I have tones of configuration to do. I am a programmer and know computer like a mecanician knows cars.

Comment

>I have personally seen it crash the dual
            >Macs and 2 Gig P4 PCs

Didn't know GS was available for the Mac! (It isn't)

[This message has been edited by cgrieves (edited March 14, 2002).]

Comment

I should qualify my statement- I have had GS crash a few times using the instrument editor, but never once during plyback or sample loading. Certainly nothing that would dissuade me from using it in a live situation.

Also, as most GS users will testify, 99% of all the problems integrating GS with other applications are down to driver issues with soundcards, something that Tascam/Nemesys have little control over. GS sits right "next to the metal" , and will happily coexist with any ASIO application, but only providing the driver architecture exists for it to do so.

Comment

Apologies for this, the forum won't let me post a long reply, so I've split it up.

I have first hand experience of this, because my chosen soundcard (Terratec) has had a long and arduous driver evolution. Finally we are there however, with full GSIF multiclient support for win2000/XP. It was a chore getting there, and more than once I was ready to buy a different card, but we got there in the end. Several manufacturers have flawless multiclient support (check the NemesysMusic yahoo forum if you don't believe me!)

I have also seen GS crash many systems, but in every case, in my experience, it was down to shoddy drivers.

Kornalius- No, plug in the MIDI cable, call up a kit on the TD-8, zero the volumes, and map the MIDI notes on each pad to the appropriate GS Note No. Takes about five minutes. Incidentally, I use the TD-10 hihat as it's the only thing I prefer to the SonicImplant samples.

P.S. Make sure you use Version 2.5 and above, as it supports VXD and WDM drivers, which resolves a lot of issues with some hardware.

Comment

thanxs for the info c.jude. Ive been looking into that akaiz z8 and z4. They do look impressive. Now I just gotta save up another grand or two.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X