Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PD-9 v. CY-12H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-9 v. CY-12H?

Gentlmen (and ladies if you're in here),

I have been searching threads ad nausea making reference to the "good, bad and ugly" of the V cymbals. I just picked up 2 CY-14C's and the CY-15R about 6 weeks ago. At first I was ecstatic about them. And I still am. The crashes definitely rule! But, I appear to now be faced with the same bell trigger sensitivity issues as dozens of you have now reported. Now, I have saved some money and wanted to buy the CY-12 hats...or, at least I thought I did. I see people here having ****loads of problems with them. Thus, given what these platters cost, I am not at all inspired to purchase one now. Are they worth the cost? What affordable options do I have that allow me: larger target, better feel, less wear on my digits (my joints ache after banging the pd-7 after a hard workout) and, of course, dual zone capability? I've seen the PD-9 suggested by several as a good, affordable alternative to the pd-7 (and CY-12 hats). As usual, thanks in advance for all the great advice!

ps: I also want to pick up a pd-120 trigger and run it with my td-10. Anyone had any serious problems with this combination?

Thanks for the input Chris. I have seen mention of the DITY approach that employs tape. I like the idea, particularly if it is simple. But, I am paranoid about breaking down my $200+ cymbal myself. And it seems pretty sad to have to put tape on the inside of this piece of high tech craftsmanship in order to make it go. What is up with roland charging so much for products that have such annoying issues. Everyone talks about how killer roland gear is. And, in my limited experience, it generally is. But, are they working on improving this? I have not yet contacted them for technical support on this issue. Has anyone else? Are they just going to tell me..."sorry....you're $*#@ out of luck....?" I surmise that removing the rubber from these things is a simple matter?

As for the pd-120 and the pd-80r pads. I am currently using an acoustic 10" snare and trigger it with the trigger perfect 210-APS trigger. It has worked reasonably well, but I am beginning to have a lot of problems with reliability. The trigger is beginning to double fire and clip out on me during live shows. That obviously sucks and is unacceptable. I am currently using my pd-80r trigger in a 2-floor tom configuration. It's worked pretty nice. Obviously, I have not been able to capitalize on the dual zone capability of the trigger, but I have not needed to. It's just another pd-80 in my current configuration. I wanted to go with the pd-120 for a larger target that provides rim shot and brush capability and that works well with the roland brain. It seems to be true what they say..."roland triggers work best with roland brains...."

More hand holding on this DITY approach to fixing the ride bell issue would be great though. I am very paranoid about breaking open the cymbal. Should I be? Is it really easy to do? Thanks a bunch Chris! I really appreciate the detailed input!

Comment

Ok Feefer, I will embark upon the DITY approach and see if I can make it go. I would have never guessed that the world of edrums would require such perpetual tweaking when I made the switch last year. It really has been the eternal search for optimization Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X