Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Playing with poor electricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with poor electricity

I just played a show at a rather large venue and had a harsh suprise. The place where we played must have had very poor wiring or something because to start with, both of our guitar amps were going in and out. Not on and off but, changing volume dramaticly. Also our Pa system had a horrible hum. Simply turning on my subwoofer caused my module blank out and restart itself. Any tom or bass drum hits caused our pa speakers to distort badly at very low volumes. I assumed all of this was due to a low line voltage with a very small amount of current availble. The outlets were supposed to be standard 115v/15 amp outlets. My question is, do you think running the module(td-10) on a poor power supply can cause any serious damage or did roland think ahead and add protection/regulation circuitry for these situations?

------------------
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Originally posted by drumlogic:
    My question is, do you think running the module(td-10) on a poor power supply can cause any serious damage ...?
    Yes, eventually.

Comment

I HAVE A UPS ON MY V'S AT ALL TIMES.

Comment

I agree on using a UPS voltage spikes and dropouts can have disaterous effects on sensitive electronics. You wouldnt think of running your computer without one, would you??

I know in marine electronics many people recomend shutting off all of your electronics befor starting engines. The resultant dropout and return spike can scramble saved data. I would rather be safe than sorry.....just imagine reprograming all of your custom sets from scratch.

------------------
        The Captain
        The Captain

Comment

Aiyeee!

You need a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to keep your module and other equipment safe.

Power fluctuations as bad as the ones you mentioned can completely ruin electronic equipment!

Don't ever play there again unless you have either a power conditioner or a UPS.

A UPS can be purchased for as little as $100.

Good Luck!
          Kelly Mercer
          Halifax, Nova Scotia
          Canada

My Youtube Channel!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
          http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I use a power conditioner, it seems to sort out the problems I had with noise via power supplies
            http://www.apcc.com/products/line-r/index.cfm

Comment

hell yea, Apc Here I come.

------------------

Comment

Years ago, the band I was in was using a Mac to run sequencing software. It was very erratic at best, we discovered the ground wire had shaken loose in the wall socket over years of vibration on that stage. we reconnected it and the problems went away. Food for thought.
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

drumlogic
                  you said that you had problems with low Vtage, strange question, does any one know how much Electircity do they use??

I dont want the Lectric guy luvin me cos my huge lectric bills!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5amuk:
                    drumlogic
                    you said that you had problems with low Vtage, strange question, does any one know how much Electircity do they use??

I dont want the Lectric guy luvin me cos my huge lectric bills!!!
                    Not a lot, no more than a hundred watts or so, plus approx 3x the rated output of any amplification you play through (i.e. 100W amp draws about 300W from the mains)

Schmunk

[This message has been edited by Schmunk (edited February 27, 2002).]
                    TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Working...
                    X