Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Annoying flange effect on snare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying flange effect on snare.

Hi guys, I love this site. Learned a great deal. Here's my "first" real post.

I just noticed that when I'm playing really hard my snare sound sounds flanged. This happens on all kits. I read on another post that this might be happening from a vibration being picked up by the piezo. Could it be the head tuning might need adjustment along with Retrig Cancel, and mask time? I have a TD-8 with Pintech CC102ST mounted on a snare stand. The settings from Pintech's suggestions have been working fine up to now? Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio
    TD-20, 2 PD-100, 3 PD-120, KD-80, KD-7, SPD-S, Zildjian, Sabian, Paste cymbals, Gibraltar Rack.

My Band's website

Originally posted by asippa:

I just noticed that when I'm playing really hard my snare sound sounds flanged. This happens on all kits. I read on another post that this might be happening from a vibration being picked up by the piezo. Could it be the head tuning might need adjustment along with Retrig Cancel, and mask time?

I think that this is what I was hearing in some of my Snares lately. In my situation it was only certian snares that would produce the "effect". Adjusting the -retrigcancel-
    parameter under the Advanced tab up to "10"
    from a "2" worked great. I use a PD-120
    for my snare and I just recently re-tuned the heads in order to eliminate some variables.

After about one hour of solid playing since the adjustment I am quite happy to say that the "effect" is totally gone. Every inch of the head will perfectly trigger now.

I don't know if this will help as you are not using the Roland pads, but the lesson is the same.

Good Luck, Welcome to the Forum.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
      I hit pretty hard. I installed an internal sorta dead ringer thingie in mine to kill the ring of my drums in the piezos (I have double and triple ply heads and they are very tight so the effect was amplified for me). The RemO's I think they are called, did the trick.

I just want to trigger thank you, that's all.

Thanks for your reply.

What do I do with the RemO's? Do I place them over my drum head like you're muffling them?

Antonio

Oops. I just re-read your post and you said that they are internal. I guess I have to run up to Sam Ash to see what these things are.

[This message has been edited by asippa (edited February 23, 2002).]
      TD-20, 2 PD-100, 3 PD-120, KD-80, KD-7, SPD-S, Zildjian, Sabian, Paste cymbals, Gibraltar Rack.

My Band's website

Comment

Originally posted by suuntov:

I think that this is what I was hearing in some of my Snares lately. In my situation it was only certian snares that would produce the "effect". Adjusting the -retrigcancel-
        parameter under the Advanced tab up to "10"
        from a "2" worked great. I use a PD-120
        for my snare and I just recently re-tuned the heads in order to eliminate some variables.

After about one hour of solid playing since the adjustment I am quite happy to say that the "effect" is totally gone. Every inch of the head will perfectly trigger now.

I don't know if this will help as you are not using the Roland pads, but the lesson is the same.

Good Luck, Welcome to the Forum.

Steve.

Thank You. I'm glad I found this place.

I will try your tip on the retrig cancel and report back.

Thanks again.

Antonio

My Band's website

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
          The RemOs are little plastic trays that hold a small thin foam ring. The tray is goes under the lip of the rims and and is suspended that way inside the drum. The foam that sits in the tray touches the underneath of the drum head. I'm not fond of anything like that for acoustics, but I tune my electrnonics' heads so tight, they make a high pitched ring that is picked up by the piezos (or any open mic really). The foam killed the ring. Killing the ring was actually a happy accident. The foam is there to help the heads feel more like acoustics mainly, stopping the ring was a fortunate and equally useful side effect (I was dealing with it in other ways prior to finding these).

Anyway, may not have anything to do with your problem...sounds like if suuntov's got a good suggestion that may address what you're hearing in the settings.
          Hi c. jude,

I checked these out and I see what you mean. Your description was excellent BTW. It seems that upping the retrigcancel did the trick, thank you suuntov. I upped retrig to 2 any higher didn't feel right to me. I thank you guys once again.

Antonio

My Band's website

Comment

De nada Amigo,

Fue un placer.

Steven.
            #######################################

Actally we shold be thanking FEEFER...

Thanks again x2 Feefer.
            (And everyone who has beeen kind enough to spout......)

Steven .

[This message has been edited by suuntov (edited February 23, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by suuntov:
              De nada Amigo,

Fue un placer.

Steven . i

I understood what you said because I speak and read Italian fluently. Just for fun, here's the Italian version.

"Non e niente amico,

Era un piacere."

I just love this place, so many great people.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by asippa (edited February 23, 2002).]

My Band's website

Comment

Man, I always wanted to go to Itally, Spain too.

One day soon... I can barely remember the trip to Amsterdam, I wanted to meet Puttenvr, but he was busy.

Travel is a GOD-SEND.

Steve.

[This message has been edited by suuntov (edited February 23, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                X