Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Midi Latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi Latency

OK, all you midi user's out there give it to me straight. Is there a noticeable latency when using the midi out of your td-8/10 to trigger a sampler or whatever?

------------------
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Yes Yes Yes, I know about the excellent search engine and its hidden treasure of older posts, however, I am more curious about you guys using the equipment of today. I read that the midi delay is approx 5 milli sec. Is this accurate and is it noticeable when playing rolls or other fast rudiments?

Im really talking about a td-10 into a sampler.

------------------

Comment

It's not really a problem with MIDI latency, rather audio latency. The program that hosts the samples sends it's output to audio rather than the midi that it received. The time that it takes your soundcard (and it's drivers) to push the midi through that program (and whatever processes it does) and back out as audio for you to hear is where the latency is.

So, for example, if you use a Sound Blaster Live loaded with some soundfonts, there would NOT be noticeable delay, but if you used LiveSynth (software) loaded with soundfonts, you might, dependant on the soundcard and it's drivers. With my dspfactory, I can get close in WinXP, but drums need to be REALLY low latency.

If you pass the vdrums brain through a sequencer, like Sonar, turn off local control on the brain (so you don't get midi feedback) and play...you will be passing through Sonar back into the Td-10, which will give you MIDI latency...for a to and from trip, this adds up to about 10ms.

Most soundcards (pro) have very low latency, but the SBLive, at least in Sonar, is about 10ms, I think.

Just remember two things.
      1. Softsynths are very picky.
      2. You could always play the part in monitoring your playing with the td-10, and then redirect the recorded midi to the softsynth channel, where it will play at near 0 latency.

IF you were asking all of this for LIVE use, sorry I wasted your time <g>.

redbrick
      My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

thanx for the info guys. You rock.

------------------

Comment

Working...
        X