Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

powered mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powered mixer

Hi E friends, I could use some advice.
    I have a TD8 module, a Boss BR 8 recording studio, and a CD/Cassette player. The headphone output on the Boss BR 8 isn't to good. When I try to record from my module into the BR 8, the headphone out of the BR 8 is distorted. When I playback what I've recorded it sounds real good. I would like to get some kind of mixer to plug everything into and just use the headphone out on the mixer. As of now I only play with headphones. Should I buy a powered mixer? Will an unpowered mixer work well and loud enough into headphones? Someday I would also like to buy a JBL Eon speaker to play out loud. Which type of mixer would work or be better with the JBL? Also how many channels should the mixer be, and what Brands are good? I will be buying it from Sam Ash most likely.
    Thanks, Rick...
    (Chrome Hart BX Kit, TD 8 Module, All Roland Cymbals, Electrovoice SXA 250 Powered Monitor, Yamaha 10/2 Mixer, Alesis Pico Verb, BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer, Samson S-Phone Headphone Amp/Mixer), V Club Kit, Boss BR-8 Digital Recorder, Sony 7509 Headphones, Roc & Soc's
    Charcoal Gray Metallic GMS Kit, Turquoise Sparkle Slingerland Kit. Many Zildjians...
    DRUMS - WOOHOO! I'm SILLY!

Well this is a large can of worms here.

Firstly if you are planning on purchasing an Eon speaker, do not get a powered mixing desk. (see point 3)

Secondly, the size of desk (number of channels) depends on what you are going to use it for. If you need to put a band through it then you will need more channels. An 8 channel desk is a good start though.

Thirdly, I am not too confident that you fully understand what a 'powered mixing desk' is. A powered mixing desk has a built in amplifier. This means that you plug your speakers directly into the outputs of the desk. A 'powered' desk will be able to be used for headphone monitoring just as well as a nonpowered desk.

Finally, the brand of mixer will depend a great deal on your budget. Mackie is a good quality desk for your money. If you go with anything else, don't go with Behringer.
    Good luck1
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Thanks, for your advice. I really appreciate it. C.Jude, I was thinking about getting an 8 channel configuration, I will just be using it for my set up, and not for vocals, but my main reason for the smaller board is for the amount of tight shelf space in my music room.
      1) Powered mixer + non-powered JBL
      2) Non powered mixer + powered JBL
      Will both of these configurations work as well as each other? Is one config better than the other?
      Thanks again & hope you have a great day, Rick
      (Chrome Hart BX Kit, TD 8 Module, All Roland Cymbals, Electrovoice SXA 250 Powered Monitor, Yamaha 10/2 Mixer, Alesis Pico Verb, BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer, Samson S-Phone Headphone Amp/Mixer), V Club Kit, Boss BR-8 Digital Recorder, Sony 7509 Headphones, Roc & Soc's
      Charcoal Gray Metallic GMS Kit, Turquoise Sparkle Slingerland Kit. Many Zildjians...
      DRUMS - WOOHOO! I'm SILLY!

Comment

Working...
      X