Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hi Hat in closed position without stepping down on the pedel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Hat in closed position without stepping down on the pedel

I want to "close" the vcymbal hi-hat when I am playing double bass pedals....any ideas on how this can be done?

Thanks.

First off, welcome to the board.

Its best to post your gear with many types of questions (cause the answer may vary as is the case with this question). If we know the manufacturer (i.e. Roland with FD7 hat pedal, other?) and module (i.e. TD5, TD6, TD8, TD10, other?) it would be much easer to answer.

BTW, if you do a search, you will likely find the anser to this and thousands of other questions by using keywords.

Comment

Hi drummonster,

Try this:
      http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000046.html
      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Okay...sorry. I have the Roland V-Session FD7 hi-hat. Any ideas on how to close it off w/o continuously putting you foot on the pedal?

Thanks in advance,

DrumMonster

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
        First off, welcome to the board.

Its best to post your gear with many types of questions (cause the answer may vary as is the case with this question). If we know the manufacturer (i.e. Roland with FD7 hat pedal, other?) and module (i.e. TD5, TD6, TD8, TD10, other?) it would be much easer to answer.

BTW, if you do a search, you will likely find the anser to this and thousands of other questions by using keywords.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummonster:
          I want to "close" the vcymbal hi-hat when I am playing double bass pedals....any ideas on how this can be done?

Thanks.
          Copy the kit you are using to another number (preferably the next one above or below) and change the sound of the new kit hi-hat to a closed sound when struck (even if the pedal is up). Switch to this kit whenever desired for double bass play. Or just set a concrete block on the hi-hat pedal!

------------------
          TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
          I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drummonster:
            [B]I want to "close" the vcymbal hi-hat when I am playing double bass pedals....any ideas on how this can be done?[B]
            I've tried a few things, and the best I've found was to add another smaller trigger pad (currently a 4" Dawz pad) next to the HH, and have this always trigger a closed HH sound.

That way it's always available whenever you break into a double-bass riff. (There is no way to anticipate in enough time to switch kits, sounds, etc. - it would upset your playing technique if you had to always anticipate switching kits back and forth - and what about the delay this produces on the module?)

Another good thing as this pad can also sound a cowbell, woodblock, or cross-stick or be used as a switch for loops or to advance kits, etc.
            TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

:eek: " I see drum people"

Comment

I use the closed HH sound with a cowbell on the rim with a PD-7 on the Ride side(right) allowing for double pedal work with a closed HH sound. An extra input for that is a good idea or you can copy the kit and assign the HH pad the close sound which I think was mention earlier.

------------------
              Ted H.
              www.tocsinrocks.com
              Ted H.

Comment

I just had an idea for this tonight. I did a search on a few other sites and found a pedal that I just ordered from musiciansfriend.com. Roland makes a pedal called a FS-5l. It is like the FS-5U only it latches and unlatches when you step on it. It has a built in LED and a polarity switch. I'm going to try to chain in to my FD-7 and see what happends. I will report back to you guys on the results when it gets here. I believe this is like the other pedal mentionaed above, just may cost a pinch more. (I just like the idea of the LED.)
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by CAH2112:
                  I just had an idea for this tonight...... I will report back to you guys on the results when it gets here.
                  Already been done! http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000116.html
                  AND http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000004.html

Sorry to burst your bubble!
                  Got to love that search engine!
                  Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

According to this months MODERN DRUMMER, if you power up the TD-x with the high-hat pedal fully depressed, it will reverse the settings of the pedal.

This means it will be in the closed position when your foot is off the pedal.

It also means that when you press down on the pedal, the high hats will OPEN not close - you would have to relearn how to use the high-hat if you wanted full use of the high-hat. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
                      According to this months MODERN DRUMMER, if you power up the TD-x with the high-hat pedal fully depressed, it will reverse the settings of the pedal.
                      Don't believe everything you read. The first time I heard this I tried it and couldn't get it to work. Just tried it again everyway I can think of and still can't get it to happen. Maybe only works on unexpanded TD-10 or something. Definitely locks the cymbals closed on one of the other modules I've tried, but haven't seen the reverse thing happen yet.

Comment

Thanks Dr. Kildrum for the correction.

Good advice, not to believe all you read (not applicable to your posts, of course). Frankly, I don't believe half of what I WRITE three quarters of the time anyway.

MODERN DRUMMER will be hearing from my attorneys shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
                          ...Good advice, not to believe all you read (not applicable to your posts, of course).
                          Legal disclaimer: No representation as to the quality of the percussive ponderings of the dr. is made or should be inferred, not available in some areas, void where prohibited, read at your own risk.

Comment

I have a TD-8 and it doesn't reverse either. My Church has a DMPro and it works on that one.

------------------
                            TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
                            I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

It doesn't work on my TD-10. My buddy has a Yamaha DTX and it does work on it. He thought the thing was bad then realized he was stepping on it when he turned it on.

The FS-5L is working great. I had a drop-lock HH clutch on my accoustic so it's pretty much the same. You just have to get used to clicking a switch on the floor instead of on the HH itself. But, I am working on an idea to try to rig up a switch of some sort that could be hit to latch and unlatch the FS-5L. Hopefully more to come on that. And as always we thank you for your support.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X