Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

tricky pattern question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tricky pattern question

I am going to try and word this right so as not to confuse anyone...this may be a little hard to explain anyway so here goes...

Abord the Td-8 I own, there are pre-set patterns which can be asigned to a pad or rim and triggered when hit.

Now my question(s). Can I make my own and download them to the module?

I have a few .wav sounds I would like to use for a solo. Simpsons, Jetsons, and Batman sounds. Can I upload these as well??

Or am I going to have to get an external sequencer and do all this with it?

I've looked in the search, and came up with nothing I could go off of.

Please any help or suggestions would be very cool.

thanks, and enjoy your New Year!!

Doublebassmagic

Since no one has yet answered your question I'll give it a shot.

Sequences are different from samples. The on-board sequences on your TD-8 are different from the sounds you are hearing on the Simpsons, et al (believe me I wish there was a 'D'oh!' on the TD-10). You cannot download an external sound recorded from another source onto your TD-8 and play it like, say, the 'dog barking' sample on your instrument list. You would need to get a sampler of some sort, or another module which can play external samples (the DTXtreme or the ddrum module).

On the other hand, if you wanted to program a snippet of the Simpsons theme song, I think you could. But it would use the melodic backing sounds on your module. I don't know the TD-8 as well as the TD-10, but I imagine you have at least a few keyboard sounds, bass sounds, mallet-percussion sounds, or even guitar sounds which you may be able to use.

The problem: You pretty much have to play them live into your machine. I've done this. A friend lent me a cheap keyboard which I have midi'd into the TD-10, which allows me to sequence very simple bass figures which I use as ostinati for play-along. I even sequenced a Charlie Parker solo by VERY SLOWLY playing a transcription I found in a book (it took me several evenings to sequence about 30 seconds of music...and there were a lot of mistakes).

There might be simpler ways of doing this using a computer...maybe you can download commercially available midi sequence data for popular music, but I've never tried it. Maybe you know a keyboard player who could play it into your module.

Maybe someone here has better ideas.

D'ohrg

Comment

I figured as much looking into sequencers. I thought there was some secret way to add these things into the td-8.

And man o man would I love to have the D-OH! in the module for many reasons. LOL!

I have been searching for sequencers for the last hour and a half, and there is a lot of them out there. I just have to find one that will fit the $600 max price I have to spend.

Thanks for your reply, and if I find someway to add Homer to the td-8 or the td-10 I will post it! hahahaha!!

Doublebassmagic

Comment

Have you checked in to sampling? The Dr.Sample is a nice cheap way of doing exactly what you want to do. It doesn't have as much memory as some of the big samplers, but it appears to be the best product out there for cost-minded drummers like us. Just an idea, but that's what my research has come to. I haven't bought one myself yet, but hope to in the next 6 months. And as always we thank you for your support.
        [email protected]

Comment

Well you seemingly read my mind, because I just bought a Dr. Sampler device. It should be here within the next week or so. I will let you know if it does the job or not!

D-OH!!!

Doublebassmagic

Comment

Originally posted by Doublebassmagic:

Well you seemingly read my mind, because I just bought a Dr. Sampler device. It should be here within the next week or so. I will let you know if it does the job or not!

D-OH!!!

Doublebassmagic

SO, How is it??????????
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X