Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hardware Sampler that supports midi controller information such as velocity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Sampler that supports midi controller information such as velocity?

I was looking at the Korg Electribe ES1 and found out that it does not support velocity. So if I strike a vdrum pad hard or soft, this unit will play back a sample at the same volume... which sucks

Any recommendations on an affordable sampler that can do the job? Thanks.

You could probably get a nice one used on Ebay.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

An EMU ESI-32, 4000 or 2000 will do fine

the 32 is cheaper, because it has 32 voices instead of 64, and it can have as much memory as the other two.

------------------
      http://mpcman.flappie.nl
      Music was my first love...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

When you talk about voices, what exactly are you referring to? # of channels? # of samples you can store in a single bank?

I'm ingorantifico

Comment

When something has, say 64 voices, it refers to the number of notes that can play simultaneously without being cut off by other notes. In this case, 64 notes.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Well...

If you'd have a 16 part multitimbral 32 voices sampler, you'd have 16 different midi channels and you could press 32 different keys at the same time. When layering sounds, that takes more voices.
            Or when you use a really long cymbal sound, when you hit it really fast, the 33th hit will shut of the first sound.

Hope this gives some help.

------------------
            http://mpcman.flappie.nl
            Music was my first love...

Comment

Hmm.. ok.. Not sure if this is really a concern because most single one shot sounds aren't long samples at all...

Although there are some samples I thought I might bea ble to trigger from the unit that are 1 minute long... but these are played solo... they're just song intros..

I should probably just run em from CD ..

Comment

I'm assuming the 64 voice models are better for security purposes Better for cymbal rolls, etc..

Emu's site has the ESI-2000 featured, but not the ESI-4000... Musicians friend has the ESI-4000 with turbo something or other for over a grand.. ugh The ESI-2000 is 600.

Hmmm ...

Comment

Hi,

the korg electribe es1 DOES support velocity! You can't edit the velocity on the sequencer, but it surely does support velocity via midi!

But I don't think the ES1 is a good choice for what you want. The strength of the ES1 is in it's intuitive and handy sequencer. It's a great tool to make stuff with, but for your purpose i think you can better get a different sampler.

Comment

I'm going to probably stick with the ESI-2K or e6400... if I can get a hold of one second hand.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X