Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

spd20 + good sampler for live performances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spd20 + good sampler for live performances

Hi there,

I am looking for advice on a stable sampler/spd20 setup. Currently I have been using the spd20 to trigger Unity ds1 software sampler on four pads, and use the remaining four pads and the input triggers as an e drum kit. However I dont want to use any software type samplers.

I have been looking at the akai mpc2000, Roland sp808, as well as the rack mount samplers. Ideally, I am looking for the ablity to start/stop sequences that contain long(couple of seconds) and short samples during performances. Does anybody use a similar set up or just advice on a reliable pairing?

Cheers,
    Den.

first: DONT BUY THE SP808!

second: only buy a MPC2000 if you really need all of it's sequencer features. The MPC2000 is a great machine, but the the sampler part is far away from advanced.

If you've got enough money go for an Emu Ultra sampler. They are the best sounding samplers right now with very much features. There's a basic sequencer which will do fine for you I think(you can also put .MID files into it, upto 48 tracks are supported).

I have an MPC2000 and I'm thinking bout selling it and getting an E6400 Ultra.
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
      first: DONT BUY THE SP808!

second: only buy a MPC2000 if you really need all of it's sequencer features. The MPC2000 is a great machine, but the the sampler part is far away from advanced.

If you've got enough money go for an Emu Ultra sampler. They are the best sounding samplers right now with very much features. There's a basic sequencer which will do fine for you I think(you can also put .MID files into it, upto 48 tracks are supported).

I have an MPC2000 and I'm thinking bout selling it and getting an E6400 Ultra.
      I'll second the EMU models, either an E6400 Ultra or an E4 Ultra are a LOT better than the MPC or the SP808. I'm using an E4 Ultra in my home studio, and it's fantastic, and as MPCman said, 48 sequencer tracks are nothing to sneer at. The Kurzweils are said to be quite quirky too, but have some software probs, as far as I've heard.

Stu

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I have the MPC2000, it's great, but very expensive I think. Mine has (maybe they all still do) a 32MB limit on how much sampling can be done (at once), which I think is it's biggest drawback.

I'd definately like more space for my samples.

BINARY

Comment

Another big drawback of the MPC is that it's made to be a drumsampler and so it is less usable when you want to make songs with it alone. On the MPC2000 there's no multimode and on the MPC2000xl there's a 4 part multi mode which is very little. You cannot program keygroups, but have to assign a sample to each key individually....

Comment

I would definetely look into the EMU ESI-2000 which is a very affordable sampler, has quite a lot of features, sounds very good, upgradable to 128mb, etc.
            Check out EMU.

Comment

Unfortunately EMU will take or has already taken the ESI2000 out of production. WHY??? I have no idea!

Comment

Hey you might want to check out the new Roland SP303, the new updated Dr. Sample. it really good and it now has sequenceing ability. Priced at about $325. The Korg ES-1 is cool too. Check them both out and do some reaserch. I have a Yahmaha A4000 and I love it, but I use it for the more invovled samples, I uuse my Dr Sample for the "one hit" samples.

But like I said, do your reaserch and really look at what you are currently going to be using it for and what your future plans are gonna be. Right now I have my eye on the new elextrix repeater, talk about some cool ass sample ****....but it is still in its beta version, but it is next on my list.

it it for and also what your
                Matt "The Gladiator DP" Saunders

Comment

yah but the korg es1 or the dr samples don't support velocity layering, or do they? (volume same no matter how hard you strike the pad).

Comment

I own both an E4XT and K2000VPR and they are both excellent machines.
                    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                    X