Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Anyone out there with two (!) TD-10 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there with two (!) TD-10 ?

I've got two (!) TD-10s and have two (!) / three major problems:

a) The pads for each module need to be on separate stands (no crosstalk adjustment possible)

b) I get this high-pitched noise which seems to be white noise at slightly different frequencies multiplying when "connecting" in the mixer (It's not the mixer - high quality, low noise!).

Any ideas out there?

Anyone else who has, occasionally, had the head trigger the rim for no reason (seems to have something to do with board initialisation gone wrong). Restart won't help. Extremely hard hit will usually cure it. Happened more frequently in the beginning, now only once every month, or so. Does that mean that my TD-10 is beginning to like me?

I have 2 brains but I don't have your problems - can't help, sorry. I do not have the 2 modules mounted on the rack. They are mounted on a double-tom stand. Here's a link to my schematic. There are 2 typo's.

"Direct" should read "Master"

"FS5U" should read "DP6"

http://vdrums.com/images/marc_vdrums5.jpg

p.s. 4-got to mention that a CaptKidd from around here has a TD-10 AND a TD-8 on his kit. Hey dude! You still w/us?

[This message has been edited by Marc. (edited January 23, 2002).]

Comment

Hey mark, you dont show a mixer connecting the outputs of your td-10's before they go into your stereo. It looks like your using a splitter cable. Is that right.

------------------
      -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450, bbe 482 sonic maximizer, spd-20
      -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Originally posted by drumlogic:
        Hey mark, you dont show a mixer connecting the outputs of your td-10's before they go into your stereo. It looks like your using a splitter cable. Is that right.
        No splitter cable, no mixer. I have y-adapters at the stereo to connect both brains into the stereo aux. inputs.

Comment

Marc, Do you mean y adapter as in like a male rca to two female rca or 1/4 in. What I really mean is are you putting the both td-10's into one aux in of your stereo. Meaning, td10(1) left and td10(2) left into 1 aux in left of your stereo, and then the same on the right side?

------------------
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450, bbe 482 sonic maximizer, spd-20
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Marc, Do you mean y adapter as in like a male rca to two female rca or 1/4 in. What I really mean is are you putting the both td-10's into one aux in of your stereo. Meaning, td10(1) left and td10(2) left into 1 aux in left of your stereo, and then the same on the right side?
            Correct.

Comment

And nobody goes like : "what the h***! 2 TD 10's! I'm glad I can afford a td-6K and I am happy with it!" Gosh, I really wonder.....Am I the only one who's a bit jealous? But no offence, just some frustation from my part.

Groeten (there's another dutchman again)
              Cas
              DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Marc, I cant imagine that would be good for your td-10's. You are doing a hard wire mix. This means that electrically, you have the outputs of the td-10's tied in parallel. Isn't the point of a mixer to combine two signal while adding isolation between the the two sources. WOW, I guess the td-10's can really take some abuse.

------------------

Comment

WOW, I guess the td-10's can really take some abuse.
                  How so?

Comment

Holy crap that's a big kit! Man, that must have cost a fortune!

Comment

the master output of the td10 obviously has an amplifier which drives the output. To the best of my knowlegde, amplifiers never like their outputs being tied in parallel with other amplifiers, as this would offset the output impedance of the amplifiers. This could make the amplifiers overdissipate larger than normal amounts of current. It may work just fine but I would be concerned about the long term effects it has on the output transistors. You could be degrading the quality/integrity/mean time before failure of the master output amplifiers. This is why they invented mixers. Using a mixer you can combine two signals with isolation between the two signal sources. What your doing is similar to using a headphone splittler in reverse and running two stereo's into one set of headphones. In technical terms, the output voltage of one td10 is going into the other td10 master out. This cannot be good. You are essentially driving one td10 into the other td10. It may work but it cant be good for it.

------------------

Comment

drumlogic - I have not had any problems after almost 2 years. Perhaps the current is not at damaging levels? I'm no electrical engineer. However your analysis sounds valid. I guess it's off to Radio Shack for a cheapo-type mixer. Don't wanna take any chances you know.

You know, that schematic has been posted on this site's home page since Oct. of 2000. Isn't it strange how no one has warned me about this until now? Kinda makes one wonder who ...

Thnx for your input friend.

Comment

There is no amplifier in the TD10, it's all line level signals. Obviously (after 2 years)
                          no harm will come from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arriguy:
                            There is no amplifier in the TD10, it's all line level signals. Obviously (after 2 years)
                            no harm will come from it.
                            EEEEK!!!!

Just because the signal is line level does not mean there are no *amplifiers* in the TD10. There are two types of amplifiers .....power amplifiers (which are meant to be hooked to low-impedance loads and have lots of current sucked out of them) and pre-amplifiers, which are mainly signal processors (controlling volume, EQ, etc) and are designed to drive very very high impedance loads (like the inputs of a power amplifier) and not have to supply much current at all. The TD-10 is exactly like a preamplifier... heck, it IS a preamplifier. The output stages of the TD-10, like a preamplifier, are likely electrical components called "op amps", which are designed to wiggle (in response to a signal) the voltage between two terminals while those termainals are connected to a passive load. Now, if the outputs of an op-amp are also directly connected to the outputs of ANOTHER op-amp, which is also busy wiggling the voltage in response to a totally different signal, neither op-amp is going to be very happy, although it might work for a while. They definitely should not be wired together like that.... I'm rather shocked that Marc hasn't blown the output circuits on his TD-10s yet. Roland must have build some serious tolerance into the output stage of the TD-10.... but definitely get a mixer, Marc, that's what mixers are for!

Cheers,
                            Darren

Comment

Well then I stand corrected, actually I'm sitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X