Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 HAS NO USER KITS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 HAS NO USER KITS?

How do you save a user kit on the TD8?
    I know you can change one of the 64 preset
    kits,but I don't wish to do this.How do I
    create and save a new kit from scratch.My
    DTXpress had 60-70 preset kits and about
    25-30 user kits that you stored to yourself.
    I cannot believe that the TD8 does not have
    this,I hope I am wrong or I will be VERY
    disappointed.Please help.
    89vett

Looks like you will have to be disappointed. Hard to believe you can't part with any of the 64 kits? Are they all that good? I'm used to hearing criticism about cartoonish type kits splattered with a few mixed metaphores.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

That is unreal.This is NOT a cheap module.
      I guess I will send it back and go with
      the dtxtreme module.I like the sounds and
      features,but for this kind of money I have
      to have some user kit storage.I knew I should
      have gone with the yamaha.I was happy with my
      other yamaha electronics.Roland has really
      dropped the ball on this one.How hard would
      it have been to add about 15-20 user kits?
      I don't like all of the presets on the roland,but I don't like overwritting factory
      settings or kits.And my 8 month old son
      loved the cartoon kit-no overwritting there.
      Thank's for the reply.
      Steve
      89vett

Comment

89vette - Can't you save the presets to PC?

Comment

I believe you can recall the presets at any time. I know you can with the TD-10. Out of all the kits on the TD-8 there has to be some you can over write then set as a chain and be done with it. The TD-10 expanded has no user kits anymore either but I don't understand where the problem is. I use 1 kit most of the time with maybe 6 that I have that are ones I use occasionally. Is it really a big deal that there are no user kits? You can rename the kits. Just take the 4 kits you like least and rename them user kit 1 through 4 and now you have user kits for your viewing pleasure.

------------------
          Ted H.
          www.tocsinrocks.com
          Ted H.

Comment

WTF....

I don't want to seem out of line here but why is there such an urgency to have all of the factory kit's available? What is problem with dumping any of the factory kits or all and just create your own?

You would adjust an acoustic set just the same if it was not tuned to your liking, wouldn't you? Same principle here and more. Plus you have quite a bit of kit's to use/choose from so changing a few should not kill you.

If one of the factory kits (lets say Rock kit) is Roland's idea of what a Rock kits should be, then does that mean you should believe that the Rock kit should sound like that?

I say tweak away and come with unique kits. Slap a few of your favorite tracks on and try to find the sounds you like to match (or as close a possible) the sounds you hear and make the kits.

Or is there a fear of getting into programming the module as far as amount of time spend on programming (kits and sounds)? If that is the case.... well that is a part of edrum modules (to some extent, some less then others) and imagine if you did not have this option and were stuck using only what the manufacturer gave, period; then what tune would you sing?

This is getting funnier and funnier to hear.

------------------
            Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited January 14, 2002).]
            Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
              I don't want to seem out of line here but why is there such an urgency to have all of the factory kit's available...
              And just what is wrong with someone wanting to preserve all of their original presets? It's a free country! And it is a reasonable beef. The request is for a little help, not a lecture. What about my earlier question?

Comment

There is nothing wrong with keeping the factory kits if they appeal to a user, but to go and say that the module is not all that just because there aren't too many user kits to use, and to blame the module is preposterous, IMHO.

If someone wishes to dump the kits to a PC/MAC to save and to have, go for it.

But as 89vett mentioned before, this seems to discourage him from the TD module because there aren't as many user kits to use compared to a Yamaha module. I guess to him that makes or breaks the module, I just don't think it's a major reason to dislike the module.

Factory kits, shmactory kits.

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited January 14, 2002).]
                Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
                  ... but to go and say that the module is not all that just because there aren't too many user kits to use, and to blame the module is preposterous, IMHO.

I am in violent agreement!

But as 89vett mentioned before, this seems to discourage him from the TD module because there aren't as many user kits to use compared to a Yamaha module. I guess to him that makes or breaks the module, I just don't think it's a major reason to dislike the module.

Your point is well made. And you have confirmed that the presets can be stored for posterity. We have given him enough to decide. It's his choice. Let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
                    It's his choice. Let it go.
                    Yeah... but.....I just.... oh well, fine... see if I care.

What's the world coming to if you can't even rip into a newbie nowadays... sniff, sniff (cyber tears)

------------------
                    Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
                    Studio

Comment

Beware of the DTXtreme module, I bought one, plugged it in, turned it on and it said, warning low battery, then warning:factory reset in process. It's brand new, it's going back, I'm not getting another one. I've heard alot of horror stories about it, and they're all true. I'm sticking with my Drumkat Turbo and samplers, I've had it with modules, they don't sound as good anyway. And yes I tried a TD-10, it was faulty as well.
                      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

You know, it has just occured to me 89VETT is ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT!!!!
                        What the hell have I been doing for these last 3+ years. Are you telling me that I could have actually CHANGED some of the presets to my OWN sounds.
                        How STUPID do I feel?? I am throwing this TD-10 in the bin tomorrow and getting my hands on one of those Yamaha whatchamajiggys!!
                        USER kits! Of course, Roland you have blown it BIG time!
                        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I'll be right behind you Steveo. (on your way to the trash heap that is)
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Here!!! Take my TD-8 with you!!!
                            I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

I appreciate the responses.I love the sounds
                              of the TD8,and after talking to some experts
                              in the field of modules,I am going to keep
                              the TD8.I guess I will go ahead and dump all
                              of the preset kits to my computer and start
                              programming my own kits thereafter.It just
                              makes me wonder how much extra it would have
                              cost Roland to put some user kit storage on
                              the TD8.I do use about 15-20 different user
                              kits,so I will have to wipe out that many
                              factory kits.That's the fun thing about having electronic drums-experimenting with
                              all the different sounds and making combinations of kits with them.When I want
                              1 sound I will play one of my acoustic kits.
                              Thank's again for the replies.
                              Steve
                              89vett

Comment

Working...
                              X