Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Foot Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Switch

Dudes/Chicks,

Would a foot switch allow me to change kits in the middle of a song and then change back to the original kit. If so, I assume that the TD-10 allows you to assign which kit to switch to.

If this is possible, what switch do I need to get... what is it called etc...

------------------
    VPRO set, DW5000 double pedal, Tama Iron Cobra, KD-120 & KD-7, KC-500 monitor.

http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000255.html

Also do a search for "foot switch" and/or FS5U" to get more info.

Cleveland you say... what part?

------------------
    Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
    Studio

Comment

Thanks svook.

Yes, I'm from Cleveland.. Parma to be exact. The same suburb that Drew Carey is from. Do you have a connection to Cleveland?

Comment

Lived there from 1977 to 1983, in South Euclid and Cleveland Heights areas. Went to Monticello jr. high school and Charles F. Brush high school.

------------------
        Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
        Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
          Lived there from 1977 to 1983, in South Euclid and Cleveland Heights areas. Went to Monticello jr. high school and Charles F. Brush high school.

No kidding! I work for the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall (on east side). One of my co-workers went to Brush in the early 60's. Small world! Nice to meet you.
          I've read a lot of your posts, so I'd like to say, thanks for your help!

------------------

Comment

Anytime I can help, just holler. Good to have you here and it's good to hear from the the old neighborhood.

------------------
            Studio

Comment

Originally posted by jparsons:
              Would a foot switch allow me to change kits in the middle of a song and then change back to the original kit ...
              Yes. I have not used this function but have read the documentation. Someone holler @me if I'm wrong. The manual says you can connect two foot switches. But it does not say that you must connect two. I theorize that the 2nd switch is only neccessary to go fowards & backwards (+/- or Inc/Dec) along the chain. For the resource-limited out there, I'm sure one switch will work. However, in jparsons' scenario the original kit would need to be programmed to follow the 2nd kit.

Another thing I recall from previous discussion is an unacceptable latency issue w/kit transitions. The solution I believe was to schedule the kit change at a point in the song where there is somewhat of a pause.

Comment

Great, thanks Marc.

I'm going to go out and get one of those FS5U thing-a-ma-gogs and hook it up and I'll let you know what I come up with.

See, I'm playing a Santana cover (Oy E Como Va) and we've kinda given it our own feel, so the first part of the song is with the Latin kit and then it climaxes with the regular kit, then back to Latin kit. But, I can never get that smooth transition.

Comment

What you do is assign a chain for the foot pedals (see the manual) then assign the kits to the chain. One pedal goes up one kit, the other down. There should be no pause when you switch kits. There might be a split second pause when the you change the kit if like a cymbal is still decaying or something else is still being heard but you normally won't hear it with because the other instruments will drown it out. I switch kits pretty often and have never had a problem with a longer pause then 1/4 of a second or so.

Comment

Marc is correct that you need to FS5Us (and an insert cable to be able to go up and down through the kits the way you have them stored in your module or through a chain you have created.

However, you can easily create a chain that starts with one kit, the first switch changes to a second kit, and the next switch changes back to the first. You would essentially only be stepping forward through the chain, so you only need one pedal if that makes sense.

I use two pads instead of two pedals to go back and forth through chains and the transition is reasonably quick, but not instant. Long decays are as described.

Comment

Ok gents, I figured it out.
                      I went out and picked up two FS5U switches but I only need ONE to do what I want to do, which is switch between two kits in the middle of a song. So, the CHAIN set up on page 70 is what I did. Now, if you want to INC/DEC as well, you definitely MUST have two FS5U switches "AND" you have to have that special PCS-31 cable because I tried using my Y jack in the foot switch port but the TD-10 wouldn't recognize both switches. The difference between the Y jack and the PCS-31 is that with the PCS-31 - ALL THREE JACKS ARE MALE and with the Y jack you have 2 FEMALES and one MALE to plug into the TD-10. For some reason, the TD-10 won't pick up both switches out of the Y jack, or at least not my Y jack.

It's actually quite simple, but if any of you have questions, I'm here for ya.
                      PEACE.
                      Jason Parsons

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by jparsons:
                        ...you have to have that special PCS-31 cable because I tried using my Y jack in the foot switch port but the TD-10 wouldn't recognize both switches. The difference between the Y jack and the PCS-31 is that with the PCS-31 - ALL THREE JACKS ARE MALE...
                        To be perfectly accurate, there is a little more to it than just male jacks. The PCS-31 is an insert (send/return) cable basically. The wiring in the cable is standard TRS on the side with one jack, but the two jacks on the other side are wired differently and different from each other. (See previous posts for descriptions of insert cables). These cable can be purchased much cheaper than the Roland version (i.e. Hosa, etc./again see previous discussions, I think I even posted a link to where to get one at a very reasonable price), but just a normal 1 to 2 "Y" cable with three male jacks won't work. An insert cable is required. Just to clarify.

Comment

Right on, DOC. I suppose you could find a cheaper insert cable by a different maker. Looking at some of the other posts, I guess Roland's PCS-31 is around $32. That's bogus!
                          Although it's supposed to be top-o-the line.

Thanks all for your input.
                          FloridaDrummer, you had the right idea all along...thanks!

------------------

Comment

I was going to make up a cable, but I recently purchased one for $7.00 at the local music store. It made more sense to buy one at that price. Here's the wiring to give you an idea of what makes them different. The tip and ground goes to one male connector and the ring and ground to the other (mono connections):

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

If one were to purchase one of these special cables in a store, what is the actual name of something like this? Is it just labeled as an Insert/Send cable???

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X