Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mesh heads; How tight is too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh heads; How tight is too tight?

I have a Hart Giga Pro. I like the snare head tight. I have read other posts about people making them pretty tight, as you would with an "A" snare with mylar heads. I have it very tight now. It seems like it is almost as far down as it can go. How do I know when I should stop? Can I tighten it until it can't go down anymore? Or is there some kind of "rule-of-thumb" dealing with this?

Originally posted by snared:
    I have a Hart Giga Pro. I like the snare head tight. I have read other posts about people making them pretty tight, as you would with an "A" snare with mylar heads. I have it very tight now. It seems like it is almost as far down as it can go. How do I know when I should stop? Can I tighten it until it can't go down anymore? Or is there some kind of "rule-of-thumb" dealing with this?

I'm not sure it this has become an exercise in proving the capabilities of the head or finding the perfect setting for you. Forget how tight you can go. Start with a medium tight setting, tighten it, try it, tighten it some more, ... until you find what you are looking for. I don't like extremely tight heads but have had to play on drums tuned that way. The shared Vpro's at the Church I play at are extremely tight and I have to loosen them everytime I play. The heads don't seem to be affected with the constant tension changing, although, I expect them to eventually stretch out and have the useful life shortened.

Frankly, unless you have stretched the heads to the point where you are bottoming out, I have a hard time believing you can't get them tight enough to suit you. These babies will tighten to where there is almost no deflection when you press in on the center and they are harder than, well... nevermind.

Maybe others who tune tight have different experience on this.

By the way, I have experienced missed hits when the head is too tight. Loosening it always makes this problem go away.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited December 06, 2001).]
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:

Maybe others who tune tight have different experience on this.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited December 06, 2001).]
      On my TD-10 there is an indicator for tightening the heads. But I always did ask myself if it was the best setting because I thought it is to lose. Anybody?

btw: On my TD-10 the indicator works only on my snare trigger, is this normal?
      FYI I set the trigger type in the triggerbank for my toms to PD-120 and PD-100.

Oh man, I love this forum where I can release all my suppressed problems, nobody understands my problems except you guys.

Groeten,

Peter

------------------
      Meneer Van Zanten (sorry, in Dutch)
      My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

mrVRock it is mormal. The expanded TD-10 lets you tune all the toms that what because positional sensing is now included on the toms. My suggestion would be just hook the other 2 PD-120 to the snare input and tune then change the snare trigger to a PD-100 and tune the 100's now you are all set. Don't forget to set the snare input back to a PD-120.

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

A lot of people have trouble using the onboard tuning calibration thingie. It took me a while to see how sensitive it is to position. Some put small pen marks exactly 1" from the rim to help locate where to strike.

In my previous post, I mentioned others who tuned very tight. They also complained that the calibrator was a useless tool and did not work. Problem was their idea of tight and Rolands idea were worlds apart. I'm not so sure how the calibration works with other manufacturer's heads either.

I got the impression Snared was looking for something beyond the TD's idea of tight since he was close to bottoming out. I guess he is going to have to experiment on his own or wait until someone else can answer from experience with a Hart head. I'm not about to ruin my heads trying.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Yeah, I use the Hart Giga Pro kit. So I don't have the Roland pads. the snare works fine as tight as it is. I just want to know if it (the drum shell, hoop, head, etc.) is going to be damaged by being so tight all the time. The hoop is now almost touching the lugs. Is that too tight? Or is it designed to go all the way to the lugs if it needs to? And if I try to loosen it now will the head be too stretched out to be used with it looened?

Comment

Originally posted by mrVRock:
              [B
              Oh man, I love this forum where I can release all my suppressed problems, nobody understands my problems except you guys.

Groeten,

Peter

[/B]
              I agree with you. I don't have any friends outside of this forum who knows or cares about E-drums or V-drums or any kind of drums. So it is nice to have someone to talk to about it who is as interested and even more interested than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777:
                mrVRock it is mormal. The expanded TD-10 lets you tune all the toms that what because positional sensing is now included on the toms. My suggestion would be just hook the other 2 PD-120 to the snare input and tune then change the snare trigger to a PD-100 and tune the 100's now you are all set. Don't forget to set the snare input back to a PD-120.

Thanks Ted, I already did that. Because is was the only option to tune the heads. On one side I'm glad to hear its not normal, but on the other side I think it is very strange that the indicator does not appear for the toms, well maybe that's the reason why the TD-10 is so cheap

Groeten,

Peter

------------------
                My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Where is that hed tensioning thing you are talking about? I have the TD-10 (not expanded), and I haven't seen that. I've only had it for a couple months, though.

And BTW mrVrock, the TD-10 is cheap now????? It didn't seem that cheap to me.

Comment

Where is that hed tensioning thing you are talking about?
                    It is somewhere at the trigger settings. I'm at my office now so I can't look right now. Tonight I will search for you. But I think it will only work properly for the PD-120 and PD-100 pads.

Originally posted by mrVRock:
                    maybe that's the reason why the TD-10 is so cheap
                    BTW mrVrock, the TD-10 is cheap now????? It didn't seem that cheap to me.
                    Well, you have to read that sarcastically, I didn't use the proper smiley for that expression.

Gr.

Peter

------------------

[This message has been edited by mrVRock (edited December 07, 2001).]

Comment

Just wanted to say the DrumDial is awesome. Works in a jiffy & is totally precise. I bought a drumometer too, to develop my hand speed. Both are pretty nifty. I'd say the Dial is much more essential though for Vs.

Goto > www.drumdial.com & see this:

------------------
                      Thanx!
                      -Alex & V's: http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
                      Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Where is that hed tensioning thing you are talking about?
                        Ok Snared, I have my manual in front of me.
                        Page 31,
                        Make sure that the Trigger type of your pad is set to '10A' or '12A'
                        Press [SETUP], [F1(trig)] and then [F4(option)].
                        Strike the PD-100 or the PD-120
                        Use [CURSOR] to 'Head tension adjustment'

It works only for the snare pad, so do what Stixx77 suggested.

Groetjes,

Peter

------------------

Comment

Ok, mrVRock, I understand now about the "TD-10 is so cheap" thing, and thanx BTW for helping me with the drum tension directions in the manual. I will try that tomorrow.

Alexander, I always wondered about those tension sensors. I saw the Tama one a few years back but couldn't afford that one. Although, I wasn't sure if they really worked well enough to justify the cost.

And, thanx everyone else for your input.

Comment

The DrumDial or Tama's unit will last a lifetime!

Best price for a DrumDial was @ http://www2.marsmusic.com/store/prod...uid=0&deptid=5 for 50 bucks plus $5-shipping. The Tama Tension Watch is as good. I preferred the DD's looks & talked to Steve @ DrumDial, so...

My KD80 & all 5 of my PD80(R)'s are all @ 80 units of unknown measure! Steve Fischer explained which unit but me fo'get.

------------------
                            Thanx!
                            -Alex & V's: http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
                            Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

There is a thread in the archives where I discuss head tensions and measurement in some detail if anyone is truly interested. I think I even gave links to Drum Dial and the Tama tension meter, and I believe that is about the time that Alexander picked his up. Glad to see it is working out for him. There is no substitute for e's or a's IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X