Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

in ear monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in ear monitoring

I am thinking of setting up an in ear monitoring system, has anyone set one up or have any info on does and don’t and the best equipment set-up.

• I mainly play small gigs with my V-drums using
    • Vdrum Outputs to a 8-2 mixer
    • Out via some outboard gear then into two JBL G2’s
    • Then on to the PA

The system I would like would have the bands full mix coming back through the in ear.

I would also like to expand to a bass shakers at a later time.

All info gratefully received

[This message has been edited by Daveb (edited December 16, 2001).]

I have an in-ear system and have been using one for about 4 years now. I'm never going back to speakers!
    I personally don't use a bass shaker, but will soon, here's what I use:

-V-Drum and Sampler outs into a Yamaha 01V digital mixer, individual outs to FOH
    -Stereo monitor (most times I get two mono signals instead of true stereo) signal into 01V mixer, to monitor outs
    -Monitor outs to inputs of a Shure PSM 600 in-ear system.

Simple set-up, really, the simple set-ups work best, I think. What you should do is have the monitor signal EQ'd and sent through a limiter so your ears don't get blown out with and abundance of high and low frequencies, and/or sudden spikes.
    Also, have custom earpieces made. The whole principle of in-ear monitoring will only work if you have closed earphones and can't hear any outside noise. These custom earpieces may be expensive, but they're worth every penny, you can get them anywhere you can get hearing aids fitted. Don't rely on the cheap earbuds most brands include with their systems, they're not even worth plugging into a $10 K-Mart Walkman.

Hope that helps,
    Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Recently, I went with the Shure hardwired PSM400 with the E5 earpiece. I should have done it years ago! The TD-8 of my modified V-Custom kit goes stereo to a BBE482 then to my mixer. I send L and R outs to the main board and take a band mix and sequences back to my mixer, where I can set my own monitor levels. Don't judge the sound of the in-ear until you use it in a live situation. The ambient noise/stage volume beefs up the bottom end, even with custom ear molds. I run my bass shaker from the headphone output of the TD-8 to the bass shaker amplifier. A company called Tour Supply had the best price on the shaker and I got the monitor from Full Compass. A month or so after I bought the shaker, I saw a used one (with amp) for sale for about $100 less than I paid. Figures. I never thought I'd see one in a shop though. It's a fun toy to have, but certainly not a necessity.

Comment

Has anyone use any hearsafe equipment if so what was it like?
        http://www.hearsafe.com/englisch/frsetE02.htm

David

Comment

I used to have a hardwired Hearsafe system, which was nice for starters, but the Shure PSM 600 blows it out the water. For all it's worth, Hearsafe is a great company (led by a drummer, I believe!) and they're very helpful. My earpieces were custom-made through Köttgen Hörakustik, which make earpieces as well as custom-fitted earplugs in license with Westone, there's probably something similar in the UK, ask anywhere you can get hearing aids fitted, they can help you with the earphones.

As far as the hardware goes, I'd go with Shure, you'd be getting a good and very reliable system.

Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Hi All ,

I have just gone IEM and it's the best ! My route was slightly more economic than things like the Shure 600.I got an IEM 2000T from DB technologies (not to be confused with DBx). It was this or the Sennheiser half rack system. Both were about the same price (£370) but the DBtech was far more expandable with 2 other seperate headphones outs and a jack stereo pair out to link what your hearing with a.n. other system or to plug into another mixer. The inputs are the xlr/jack combi sockets so sorted for either xlr or jacks.There is a mix function , as well as the usual stereo or mono , which splits stuff to either left or right but I found that personally odd .....but hey each to their own. It also has an inbuilt compressor to avoid hearing damagedue to any sudden peaks. As mcconaghy says the actual headphones that came with it are *rap and I did spend and get the Shure ones.They are OK and hopefully a good substitute to custom made which can cost alot. All in all a versatile system for a part time muso. Several people have commented "iem is to isolating".Not true ! It's alot less isolating than a set of Beyer dt100 for example.
            My retailer let me demo both over a weekend and if you get a chance do the same .

Bob Bryars
            Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Comment

Thanks there is some great info hear, I will let you know how I get on

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X