Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Saving data to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving data to PC

I have many custom kits in my TD-10 and need to reinitilize and in the next few weeks, install the expansion card. I don't have a memory card. Can I save the kits to my PC so I don't have to redo all my kits by hand twice?

Dave

A program like Forge SysEx Manager will do the job. Give a MIDI dump (individual kits, not a bulk dump) from the Roland unit and save the sysex data on your pc. After upgrading just reload the kits you want to a free kit number inside the TD-10. Note: some settings you have saved will be different from the expanded td-10.
    Robert

Comment

Do they make a TD-10 to PC book for dummies? Or even "idiots". I know not what you speak of, puttenvr. I don't know much about computers and i just got my TD-10 two months ago. I too, am thinking of getting the TDW-1 soon. What kind of program is that?

Comment

Before even looking at programs you need to make sure that your computer sound card has a MIDI input. Without that you will get nowhere.
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
          Before even looking at programs you need to make sure that your computer sound card has a MIDI input. Without that you will get nowhere.
          If you have a standard sound card with a game port, you can get one of these for around $20. http://www.soundblaster.com/accessor...s/midifull.gif
          They allow you to use your game port for both a game and midi connection.

The most reliable backup is the M512E memory card. I use the single kit save for additional backup. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I still remember the feeling I had when I realized my bulk software save trashed everything I had worked on when I restored it.

If you can't afford to get both the mem and expansion card, I'd recommend you save a single kit first with software. Restore it to make sure it works and then save your best kits as single kit saves. Personally, I'd take the time to save them all this way and then do a bulk save.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I think I will just get a memory card. I'm extremly computer literate, but I don't have a midi connection on my card and I'm not sure I would trust it anyway. I know computers well enough to know that anything that isn't 100% compatable will eventually fail. To buy a midi port connection and then get software would be more of a pain then just getting a card.

Dave

Comment

Once you get a mem card, I would give the software a try. It is very useful for archiving especially when you have multiple versions of the same kit. Your mem card is still limited to saving 50 kits.

I have found the single kit saves very reliable. In my case, it was just the bulk save being a problem. Interestingly, VkitTrans trashed all kits when doing a bulk save and SysEx affected only 3 of 50 kits. I got multiple checksum errors during the restore. By having the memory card to verify what does and doesn't work and and to restore your data in case of failure, you get a much better sense of reliability out of it.

Set a memory card on top of something magnetic and you could end up with garbage there too. It's all a matter of degree of risk.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Well, I went and got the card today. Very easy to back up. I'm going to try the Midi - Joystick connection sometime soon. I would like to keep more than one copy of my kits. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X